Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's an exceptionally poor value, but that is the market in Wailea right now. Lots of dollars chasing not enough rooms. The 3* are going for over $500/night.
It's an amazing value. To each his own I suppose.

For someone who cares most about the beach, access to the reef, the convenient onsite breakfast, and the slope children's pool... and hates the disney/Vegas type large hotels, there is no comparison in Wailea, actually in all Maui, and for a comparable reef actually in all Hawaii (well, west side of Big Island excepted as I don't know it).

But, sure, I get you for someone that wants to hang poolside, in a chair, each hotel food for lunch and dinner, hang out some in the room and focus on hotel amenities, maybe there's other choices.

Just goes to show it all depends on what one wants from one's property.

When I go to Wailea, I do both a condo and the Andaz... and I would never do Marriott (just not that nice, the walk to Ulua is fine though), Grand Wailea (Vegas size), Four Season or Fairmont. That's just my opinion.
Colin and TravelingChef like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kthpence
You're there during peak spring break / easter break - I'm not surprised it's packed. All of Maui is packed this time of year, particularly the weeks before / after Easter.
prob a quarter of families from my kids class posted pics from hawaii last week and we go to public school... afraid to think about percentages from private ones..

those who wanna get away from kids should go international now
Old Apr 12, 2021, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by canyonleo
It's an amazing value.
At $891 per night? I fail to see how that's an "amazing value."
But, sure, I get you for someone that wants to hang poolside, in a chair
No I don't, which I think is pretty obvious from my posts immediately upthread.

If people like this property, particularly for point redemptions, I respect that perspective. But I think there's another equally valid perspective, namely that the physical product has drawbacks, service execution is often flawed, and value on cash rates is really not great.

Last edited by Kacee; Apr 12, 2021 at 12:25 pm
Old Apr 12, 2021, 12:24 pm

At $891 per night? I fail to see how that's an "amazing value."

No I don't, which I thought would be pretty obvious from my prior posts.
I would never pay $891/night. But your comment didn't specify a date. I'm thinking $500-600 add the fees and taxes and maybe that's $700+. Still, I'll agree, not "amazing" as I exaggerated, sorry. It's not that it's a value, it's that it has no equal (for those that have interest in the attributes I noted).

And my bad, "I get you for someone" missed a comma... should be "I get you, for someone(else) that wants...". Sorry.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
I've been meaning to add something to the topic. With respect to this property it depends on what you are used to. I would say keep your expectations in check and the place will grow on you.

I think the room makes a big difference in how much you enjoy this hotel especially for longer stays. The standard rooms are very small. At the beginning of March we spent 14 nights in a Deluxe Ocean View Suite and really enjoyed our stay.

Things I liked about this property:

Location, IMO on Maui, Wailea is the place to be.
The room had a great view.
Beautiful beach, great swimming, snorkeling, lounge chairs and umbrellas.
Nice walking options from the property. Path to the south & beach walking to the north.
F&B, very good breakfast (gets a little crowded), nice local hot sauces. We had dinner at Morimoto's 3 times and really enjoyed our meals. Also ate at the Lehua Lounge 3 times mostly out of convenience the food is okay but the atmosphere is very nice especially with the nightly live music.
The grounds & pools were all very nice. We are beach people so did not use the pools much but did enjoy the jacuzzi a few times.

Things I disliked:

Room decor. The rooms could use a remodel. Furniture is not comfortable, shower is a little strange.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Sure, I get you for someone that wants to hang poolside, in a chair, each hotel food for lunch and dinner, hang out some in the room and focus on hotel amenities, maybe there's other choices.
Not to be a dick, but what on earth are you hoping to accomplish by making up projections about strangers and then being a dick to them based on the projections you just made up?
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by arjaok
Not to be a dick, but what on earth are you hoping to accomplish by making up projections about strangers and then being a dick to them based on the projections you just made up?
I think you missed my correction to kacee. It was meant to read "that I understand you, I 'get you' ". Not read that "for you as someone". There were no projections intended.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
It's an exceptionally poor value, but that is the market in Wailea right now. Lots of dollars chasing not enough rooms. The 3* are going for over $500/night.
Well I guess that's subjective and relative to the rate paid.

I would never pay cash at this property but was able to book a few nights on points for a last minute getaway with a TSU and for 30k points a night, no resort fees, free parking and breakfast included I'd argue it is a very nice value. I am sure many others here are also flush with points due to limited travel last year.
TravelingChef likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Well I guess that's subjective and relative to the rate paid.

I would never pay cash at this property but was able to book a few nights on points for a last minute getaway with a TSU and for 30k points a night, no resort fees, free parking and breakfast included I'd argue it is a very nice value. I am sure many others here are also flush with points due to limited travel last year.
Andaz Maui, PH Kyoto, Alila Ventana, PH NYC, PH Vendome - incredible value when using 30K/n points + a TSU, otherwise, hard pass.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:20 pm

The globalist perks really add up at this property between TSU, very good breakfast, beach inclusions in resort fee and valet parking. I think of it as 30k points + $150 copay gets me 2 good meals for a family of four and some cocktails for my wife and me and lots of activities for the kids.

I am also partial to Wailea as a base in Maui. Much easier access to Haleakala, Iao Valley, Hana, Maalaea and Kahului than west Maui. A little more predictable weather.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by redbirdsj
The globalist perks really add up at this property between TSU, very good breakfast, beach inclusions in resort fee and valet parking. I think of it as 30k points + $150 copay gets me 2 good meals for a family of four and some cocktails for my wife and me and lots of activities for the kids.

I am also partial to Wailea as a base in Maui. Much easier access to Haleakala, Iao Valley, Hana, Maalaea and Kahului than west Maui. A little more predictable weather.
Also worth it to consider that Marriott charges about $70/night parking and resort fees for the luxury of using your points.

When we were here a few years ago they were still charging Glob for parking so we used the infamous Kihei option. This time it will be nice to park on-site.

Seems like the only complaint is about over crowding at the pool, and thankfully Maui is a large island with many places to post up other than the Andaz pool.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:42 pm

Hehe, infamous Kihei option
Haven't used that in a few years.
invalyd likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Mad4Miles
I think the room makes a big difference in how much you enjoy this hotel especially for longer stays. The standard rooms are very small. At the beginning of March we spent 14 nights in a Deluxe Ocean View Suite and really enjoyed our stay.
I originally booked an OV Suite, but had to reschedule trip due to work. For a stay three weeks later, the price for the suite had literally doubled to over $2500/night. Hard pass on that.

For those referring to free parking for Globalists, I'll point out that is once again only on award stays. The $40 for valet is not unreasonable
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by donzaur
Just finished a 4-night stay here so I'll add some commentary alongside the other recent reviews.

Check In - Arrived around 2:30PM and the room was ready by 3. The resort offered a welcome amenity from its market and as a globalist you could choose from a large box of chocolates, a bottle of sparkling (hula o maui brut), and something else that isn't coming to mind. If you didn't want wine you could instead get two six-packs, I think they were big swells.

!
We got none of this, nor did we ever get any snacks in the room. Our "welcome" to the resort consisted of valet checking our covid results and telling us they were out of leis. But I don't really expect PH or 4S service at an Andaz.
It seems the globalist experience here is all over the map right now. Like Kacee we received none of that. The valet checked our COVID results and we checked in, waiting for almost an hour for our room to be ready even though we arrived at 3pm (later than expected due to an hour long tarmac delay at OGG) and the hotel had asked our expected arrival time

After we got our keys I inquired about the fact that the minibars weren’t stocked anymore (after I saw them filling a paper bag with some cans and snacks) and they gave me the bag that was getting filled. After getting into the room we did get a phone call asking if we needed help with our luggage which emphatically said yes to since they had possession of it and it needed to be delivered to the room....

Luggage did come with the beach bag and two water bottles

Used a TSU to upgrade and didn’t get anything beyond the Andaz suite(at least that’s what the app says) but it seems we got a good one. We are on the 4th floor at the end of the Hema wing and definitely have a partial ocean view (I can see the ocean as I type this)

We’ve done two breakfasts so far and they’ve been tasty. Dinner twice at Lehua and once at Monkeypod(delicious). Have a Morimoto reservation for later in the week

Did a 12.5 mile hike thru Haleakala yesterday and plan to be really lazy today as a result (though my wife is nuts and is currently down at the gym riding one of the 4 Pelotons they have)
Kacee and HaleiwaFlyer like this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 11:35 am

Hi All,

Normally what kind of suites do Globalist receive as complimentary upgrade at check-in? Has anyone received the partial ocean view suites? or something better than that?

Thanks,
Jenny

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.