Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
For our no kids couple vacations, Hawaii anytime in the summer or during any US school holiday is off limits. One of our favorite trips was our first pre-kids trip to Hawaii to the old St. Regis Princeville and Grand Hyatt Kauai in late winter. We loved it so much we went back as a couple again the following July and the places could not have been more different. Yes, there were a lot more kids, but everything was just way more packed in general. The next time we went in the summer we took our kids and it was great. Hawaii is amazing (its just amazing in different ways at different times of the year). It sounds like this might have been even a little crazier than usual, but there's only so much that adult pools can do and it's usually the restaurants and beach areas where there's no way to avoid it.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
I have a 5 night booking with tsu this summer and this has made me seriously reconsidered. Kids really ruin everything don't they? Why can't parents just be considerate for once and not bring them to these luxury/romantic resorts? Totally killing the whole vibe of the place. Hopefully as US opens up more family will take their spoiled brats to Disneyland or something. Thanks for the reports!
Totally! Can't believe parents would think this hotel is appropriate for kids. Some people just don't get that a massive zero entry pool, advertised children's activities throughout the day, a free kids club (pre-Covid) and kids options on every restaurant menu does not mean you can actually bring your kids if you want to stay here.

Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
As others have said, go when it is not a school holiday. Out of the entire year, school holidays take up only a minority of the year. Airfare/room rates are likely cheaper as well outside of the school holidays.
spgplat21 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by redbirdsj
Totally! Can't believe parents would think this hotel is appropriate for kids. Some people just don't get that a massive zero entry pool, advertised children's activities throughout the day, a free kids club (pre-Covid) and kids options on every restaurant menu does not mean you can actually bring your kids if you want to stay here.

Yeah -- seriously. Why would parents ever think it'd be okay to take their brats to this place?
RedSun likes this.

Last edited by AllThePants; Apr 9, 2021 at 11:19 am
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:57 am
FT

I find adults with bad behavior to be on par w/ kids bad behavior. It ain't the age. At least kids are still in "learn mode". Go to an adults only resort as has been previously mentioned and don't let your sh*tty attitude spoil my family vacation. Seriously, how would you prefer us to travel after a year of lockdown. Grow up.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Jesus folks, could everyone just take a breath and come in off the ledge? This thread is circling the toilet bowl pretty rapidly and at this point has little to do with the Andaz Maui; it's just devolving into a kids/no kids thread and neither side is likely to change their mind based on the redundant and increasingly hysterical posts being made.

Regards
AllThePants likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:08 am
FT

So you wanna bring Jesus into it
AllThePants likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:08 am

OK - back to business: Is the beach crew still running the morning outrigger canoe trips? We really enjoyed those.

And in these times, would I have to book them way in advance?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Jesus folks, could everyone just take a breath and come in off the ledge? This thread is circling the toilet bowl pretty rapidly and at this point has little to do with the Andaz Maui; it's just devolving into a kids/no kids thread and neither side is likely to change their mind based on the redundant and increasingly hysterical posts being made.

Regards
It's a bit of fun with what I assume is a partially tongue in cheek comment. I actually think the discussion on the level of kid activity is useful for some people in deciding if this is the right place for them to spend (lots of) their hard earned money. It's just a little silly to forget that unless you go to an adults-only hotel, you will be sharing the public spaces of your accommodation with other paying guests of all ages, especially at a place that puts forth quite a bit of effort in appealing to families.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by AllThePants
OK - back to business: Is the beach crew still running the morning outrigger canoe trips? We really enjoyed those.

And in these times, would I have to book them way in advance?
They were as of a month ago. And it seemed like it was a good idea to book at least 2-3 days in advance.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:24 am

FWIW - My 4-year-old really likes the choco chip waffles at breakfast, and insists the Morimoto edamame taste better than the ones back home. I remind him they cost eleven bucks -- which for some reason just seems to reinforce his opinion. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Anyone have details on a GoPro benefit under the resort fee. All it says is
Hotel will provide a disk for the GoPro that must be returned daily or guest can purchase the SD card. The following accessories are provided based on availability: Floating Hand Grip and Floaty
But it never actually mentions a GoPro camera, just the SD card. Am I missing something? Not a huge deal as I have an UW camera, but its a bit old and might be nice to have another option
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:15 am

I've borrowed the Go-Pro camera from the concierge before. It was a while back but It's the full setup -- had chest mount and everything. Took it scuba diving and got some amazing shots of turtles.

I don't get the language around the disk and having to return it nightly -- they had the same language when I borrowed mine, but they let me check it out the day before and keep it overnight since I was leaving on a pretty early scuba trip.

The concierge team is pretty flexible -- I imagine they just don't want you running off with it for a week at a time.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AllThePants
I don't get the language around the disk and having to return it nightly -- they had the same language when I borrowed mine
It's got to be those unruly kids destroying it overnight.
AllThePants likes this.

Last edited by seawolf; Apr 9, 2021 at 12:29 pm
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Anyone have details on a GoPro benefit under the resort fee. All it says is

But it never actually mentions a GoPro camera, just the SD card. Am I missing something? Not a huge deal as I have an UW camera, but its a bit old and might be nice to have another option
If you do have your own beefy MicroSD card, you may want to consider bringing it with and using it instead of the hotel's. I remember it being a pain in the ... to get the files transferred from the GoPro -- back then it was a proprietary format, you had to install special GoPro software - and the files were massive. It's probably different tech these days, but I do have memories of impatiently waiting around for the files to transfer before returning the camera..

That way you can just take it home with you and figure out the transfer process after the fact -- leaving more time to enjoy your vacation.
seawolf and FT like this.

Last edited by AllThePants; Apr 9, 2021 at 11:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.