Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2021, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Makes sense, no? If they are trying to restrict the use of points in this way, trimming the length of the stay (which I've done) is just an end-run around it. I'm not at all surprised that they're stopping this practice.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 2:19 pm

If they aren't going to reduce stays, that's even more insanely BS than the already absurd situation of allowing them to have minimums to begin with. It's bad enough they can arbitrarily restrict the supposed no blackout dates by just having minimums, but if you aren't going to be able to reduce them down to a normal and reasonable length of stay, then every hotel basically is going to be allowed to never have award nights and not participate by just having a 30 night minimum or whatever they want.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antonius66
If they aren't going to reduce stays, that's even more insanely BS than the already absurd situation of allowing them to have minimums to begin with. It's bad enough they can arbitrarily restrict the supposed no blackout dates by just having minimums, but if you aren't going to be able to reduce them down to a normal and reasonable length of stay, then every hotel basically is going to be allowed to never have award nights and not participate by just having a 30 night minimum or whatever they want.
I haven't read the Ts&Cs, but as long as they can do it, they will. That's for sure. And if the Ts&Cs don't allow it, good luck anyway.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Called the Globalist line today and the agent was ultimately able to reduce my stay to a 3-night stay, but it did seem like a harder process than usual. Her computer wouldn't let her save the updated reservation, and she ended up going to a manager who got it done. Not sure if it helped that my new dates had award availability to begin with, given that it was a 3-night stay.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Great hard product, but inconsistent soft. I wouldn’t return here given the price point.

For example, waiter forgot to submit the dinner order one night. Another night we were misinformed about the restaurant’s closing time and had to rush dinner.

Other guests put their crap on pool chairs starting at 7 AM and wouldn’t show up for hours. And on, and on.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm not sure I understand the length of award stay requirements at this property, given how few rooms they have in the base category. Those rooms are going to get booked on points regardless.
Originally Posted by drewp123
Other guests put their crap on pool chairs starting at 7 AM and wouldn’t show up for hours.
Can't really blame the resort for that. Some nonsense the world over. The problem is selfish people.
valleymonger likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewp123
Great hard product, but inconsistent soft. I wouldn’t return here given the price point.

For example, waiter forgot to submit the dinner order one night. Another night we were misinformed about the restaurant’s closing time and had to rush dinner.

Other guests put their crap on pool chairs starting at 7 AM and wouldn’t show up for hours. And on, and on.
Where do you find the chair problem? I've stayed here at least five times and never had that, but I never bother with that big lanai over Morimoto's or the kid pool, so maybe I just haven't seen it.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 4:28 pm

Would appreciate any insight on how to book 6 (or less) award nights at Hyatt Andaz (Maui) this year - dates are flexible. Have Discoverist status. I have historically done this by keep checking various data combos and usually can find one (or 2 3day with paid night in middle). As of late (past 2 weeks) they don't seem to be opening up anything. Thank you
Room 125
Old Mar 30, 2021, 10:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SquirellGetnNutz
Would appreciate any insight on how to book 6 (or less) award nights at Hyatt Andaz (Maui) this year - dates are flexible. Have Discoverist status. I have historically done this by keep checking various data combos and usually can find one (or 2 3day with paid night in middle). As of late (past 2 weeks) they don't seem to be opening up anything. Thank you
Room 125
It's hard. As far as I'm aware there's no good way to set an alert to search for exactly what you're looking for. OpenHotelAlert is fantastic for finding individual days, but I don't know if it has flexible date range searching capabilities.
SquirellGetnNutz likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Glob, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SquirellGetnNutz
Room 125
I found August 1-4(2Q) and 4-7 (1K) just now so 6 nights total?
also worked for July31-Aug3(2Q)/Aug3-6 (2Q or 1K)
Oct 23-26/26-29 (ADA room); Oct30-Nov2/Nov2-5 (1K)
If you happen to use WN for flights they just opened up Aug17-Nov5 flight schedule this morning

Last edited by TrojanDomer; Apr 1, 2021 at 11:42 am
Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:40 pm

Curses. I had a 3-night all-points reservation that I just yesterday swapped over to a 2-night points + 1 night Cat7 reservation. I had just earned the Cat7, and given that (a) it expires, and (b) $929 for a Cat7 cert redemption seemed like the best I was going to get in the next 6 months, it seemed like the better deal to keep 30K points in pocket.

And then today the Andaz Suite upgrade became available for the time I'm there. And as Murphy would have it, the Globalist line told me I'm unable to apply a TSU because of the Cat7 award being part of the reservation. And they're unable to switch it to a full-points stay to accommodate.

I need a bit of advice / therapy:

(1) I'm very reluctant to cancel and rebook. I know that I have one of few award rooms available --- heck, for a brief time yesterday I had TWO of them, which in retrospect I should've just held onto. But there are no guarantees that if I cancel my room they'll be immediately/promptly returned to award pool. Is this assumption correct?

(2) Is there any world where I should push them to accommodate the suite upgrade for (first) two points nights of the reservation, with a "downgrade" to the reservation on the last award night? It looks like the Hyatt system implements this as multiple chained reservations in their booking system anyway. I'd be hoping, of course, that once I show up on site they just don't bother to force me to move for the single night -- given cleaning ad turning over the room might be more effort than it's worth?

(3) Talk me out of really wanting the suite. I'm traveling with the family (two adults, two toddlers) and my initial thought is that the extra space would be super handy. But do the Andaz Suites come with sleeper sofas? If not, then the 2QQ room as booked may actually be a better option for us.

Help!
Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by AllThePants
Curses. I had a 3-night all-points reservation that I just yesterday swapped over to a 2-night points + 1 night Cat7 reservation. I had just earned the Cat7, and given that (a) it expires, and (b) $929 for a Cat7 cert redemption seemed like the best I was going to get in the next 6 months, it seemed like the better deal to keep 30K points in pocket.

And then today the Andaz Suite upgrade became available for the time I'm there. And as Murphy would have it, the Globalist line told me I'm unable to apply a TSU because of the Cat7 award being part of the reservation. And they're unable to switch it to a full-points stay to accommodate.

(1) I'm very reluctant to cancel and rebook. I know that I have one of few award rooms available --- heck, for a brief time yesterday I had TWO of them, which in retrospect I should've just held onto. But there are no guarantees that if I cancel my room they'll be immediately/promptly returned to award pool. Is this assumption correct?

(2) Is there any world where I should push them to accommodate the suite upgrade for (first) two points nights of the reservation, with a "downgrade" to the reservation on the last award night? It looks like the Hyatt system implements this as multiple chained reservations in their booking system anyway. I'd be hoping, of course, that once I show up on site they just don't bother to force me to move for the single night -- given cleaning ad turning over the room might be more effort than it's worth?

(3) Talk me out of really wanting the suite. I'm traveling with the family (two adults, two toddlers) and my initial thought is that the extra space would be super handy. But do the Andaz Suites come with sleeper sofas? If not, then the 2QQ room as booked may actually be a better option for us.

Help!
Can you have your concierge book another room on all points? They always book award nights for me without points in my account at time of booking. This would be better than cancelling your current booking. If that works then you could try to apply the suite upgrade.

I was there as a family of 4 in a suite and the extra space helped a lot. We got a roll away for our oldest.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by AllThePants

Help!
1. If an award room and Andaz Suite are available now, ask the Hyatt Twitter concierge to book it with a points advance. Once booked, ask the Twitter concierge to (ideally in the same transaction/tweet) (i) cancel your existing res, (ii) apply your points to held res and (iii) apply a TSU. In my experience, they should be able to do all of the above in 30 minutes. If the Andaz Suite disappears by step 3, you are in the same position as you were before, you'd just need to swap out your Cat 1-7 award for a night of points, which the concierge can easily do.

2. Don't risk this nonsense. Do the steps in 1 above.

3. I've stayed in both QQ and Andaz Suite with 2 kids. The suite comes with a sleeper sofa, lots of extra room, a big table, an expanded lanai and an extra half bath. To us, it's worth it if your kids will stay in the sleeper sofa (it's the size of a double bed). The tradeoff is that I don't think any of them have great views and as a Globalist you'd likely get a QQ ocean view or partial ocean view. The one complication in your case is that your Cat 1-7 expires in 6 months whereas the points wouldn't. In this case, the Cat 1-7 is a substitute for 30k points, not $929. So you need to decide if you'll have a sufficient use of the Cat 1-7 over the next 6 months that justifies spending the points now for the upgrade.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:32 pm

Oh - I've actually got plenty of points. The issue is that there isn't *another* base award room available right now for the same time frame. So no way to secure the room before cancelling the current one. And both I and the Globalist telephone agent were reluctant to cancel the current award (again -- 2 points + 1 cert) booking for fear of it never resurfacing for award re- booking
Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by redbirdsj
1. If an award room and Andaz Suite are available now, ask the Hyatt Twitter concierge to book it with a points advance. Once booked, ask the Twitter concierge to (ideally in the same transaction/tweet) (i) cancel your existing res, (ii) apply your points to held res and (iii) apply a TSU. In my experience, they should be able to do all of the above in 30 minutes. If the Andaz Suite disappears by step 3, you are in the same position as you were before, you'd just need to swap out your Cat 1-7 award for a night of points, which the concierge can easily do.
Can they do that? Because the person I spoke to on the phone seemed really confused about swapping out the Cat7 award for points. (which I assumed wasn't possible without cancelling/rebooking). Should I just call the concierge line (is there a concierge phone #?) -- the globalist line seems to just get a random CS agent -- who, to be fair, are 50% hit rate on being better than my concierge and 50% useless.

Last edited by AllThePants; Apr 6, 2021 at 8:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.