Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Nicole Cook
can you clarify this last sentence. I am globalist and I have always thought that if I booked through chase I couldn’t transfer it to my hyatt account. Thanks in advance
When I looked on Chase UR page, it was roughly 25k points/night to book without any restrictions on length of stay. This is because it is essentially equivalent to a cash purchase in the eyes of Hyatt. When booking through Hyatt directly, it was the standard award rate of 30k points per night, and I believe it only allows a 3 night stay or 6 night stay because the Andaz Maui is very strict on award bookings. I don't have any status or accumulated points with Hyatt, so I would just book the points stay through Chase to save money instead of transferring Chase UR to Hyatt.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by MikeW_ORD
When I looked on Chase UR page, it was roughly 25k points/night to book without any restrictions on length of stay. This is because it is essentially equivalent to a cash purchase in the eyes of Hyatt. When booking through Hyatt directly, it was the standard award rate of 30k points per night, and I believe it only allows a 3 night stay or 6 night stay because the Andaz Maui is very strict on award bookings. I don't have any status or accumulated points with Hyatt, so I would just book the points stay through Chase to save money instead of transferring Chase UR to Hyatt.
Great idea - had not thought of that. I have been saving my Chase UR for transfer to airlines but maybe it makes more sense to use them as cash at properties like Andaz. I can always find other places to use my Hyatt points. Plus I can get a room that doesn't overlook the trash bin and maybe use a lounge cert. And airfares are pretty cheap right now...
MikeW_ORD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
So I assume if you book Hyatt thru a Chase UR redemption you still get Hyatt stay credit towards status?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:17 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
So I assume if you book Hyatt thru a Chase UR redemption you still get Hyatt stay credit towards status?
Off topic ...

That would be an incorrect assumption. If you book using UR points through Chase, you are actually booking though an OTA, expedia.com. The T&Cs explicitly state that bookings through Expedia are "Ineligible Rates" and don't accrue points, stay credits, or in-hotel status benefits. Some may get lucky and get credit for third party bookings, but you have no recourse if you don't.
Old May 11, 2020, 5:34 am

Andaz GM Interview

Happen to stumble on this recent interview with the Andaz GM/Area VP this morning:

https://mauinow.com/2020/05/01/video-real-talk -with-andaz-maui-at-wailea-resort-area-vice-president-and-general-manager-michael-jokovich/

Obviously they suspended operations back on March 24, but the local Mayor deemed construction work at both the Andaz and the Regency essential so that is happening. I would imagine other hotels, on Maui at least, think similarly and are optimistic over their post-corona prospects.

Last edited by fly046; May 11, 2020 at 11:37 am
Old May 11, 2020, 8:05 am

Glad to see that they're ramping up construction there. That's one silver lining - construction can move faster on plenty of projects around the world.
Old May 12, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Our reservations for mid June were cancelled today.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:20 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Our reservations for mid June were cancelled today.
Sorry to hear that the challenges continue to be overwhelming for most everybody except perhaps if you happen to be Bill Gates
He just dropped 43 million for a weekend waterfront escape home in San Diego to quarantine in
My question is even if the hotel were to operate would you really go to Hawaii now with a mandatory two week quarantine
in the hotel room before being legally allowed out and about?
Read about the couple who were arrested for going grocery shopping upon arrival
I would reckon you would be there 3 to 4 weeks to actually do your vacation justice unless you never planned on coming out of your room in the first place!
Old May 12, 2020, 6:49 pm

It looks like all stays before June 15 have been canceled. I have a stay booked over July 4th. I’m hopeful but not holding my breath.
Old May 21, 2020, 12:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Any award availability at all? I’ve looked for seven nights in 4q, 2 nights, didn’t find it.
Old May 21, 2020, 1:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
Any award availability at all? I’ve looked for seven nights in 4q, 2 nights, didn’t find it.
I would venture a guess that due to the new policy (24 hour cancellation if booked by 6/30) people are hoarding Award rooms in hopes of trips later this year.

Last edited by Matt4200; May 21, 2020 at 1:29 am
Old May 21, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Matt4200
I would venture a guess that due to the new policy (24 hour cancellation if booked by 6/30) people are hoarding Award rooms in hopes of trips later this year.
I don't know that the new cancellation policy would have incentivized that many new/incremental speculative bookings. At least personally, I would have no issues making a speculative booking many months out under the "normal" 21-day policy.
Old May 21, 2020, 3:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dkc192
I don't know that the new cancellation policy would have incentivized that many new/incremental speculative bookings. At least personally, I would have no issues making a speculative booking many months out under the "normal" 21-day policy.
Personally, I wouldn’t make a reservation at any property that has a 21 day policy. I’ve only ever made 1 non-refundable reservation, but it was under $100 and at a HC so not a big deal if I couldn’t make it. My plans can change vastly in 21 days, so past the 10 day mark is stretching it for me. I thought Andaz Papagayo’s 14 day policy was a bit too much. In fall it’s 7 days but spring is 14 days, a bit odd I thought.

I definitely think many people booked for December in hopes of a holiday vacation. A good portion of them were additionally incentivized by the much shorter cancellation policy IMO.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by beachfan
Try searching for 10 night blocks. That's been the minimum number of nights on some dates for a while now and looks to be the issue you're running into. No one is hoarding award nights. I searched for 10 nights and found several October, November, and December dates available.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum, WoH Explorist
3 Night Blocks also worked as well. You can always add another night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.