FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

MikeW_ORD Mar 16, 20 9:49 am


Originally Posted by Nicole Cook (Post 32109543)
can you clarify this last sentence. I am globalist and I have always thought that if I booked through chase I couldnít transfer it to my hyatt account. Thanks in advance

When I looked on Chase UR page, it was roughly 25k points/night to book without any restrictions on length of stay. This is because it is essentially equivalent to a cash purchase in the eyes of Hyatt. When booking through Hyatt directly, it was the standard award rate of 30k points per night, and I believe it only allows a 3 night stay or 6 night stay because the Andaz Maui is very strict on award bookings. I don't have any status or accumulated points with Hyatt, so I would just book the points stay through Chase to save money instead of transferring Chase UR to Hyatt.

Boraxo Mar 20, 20 12:39 am


Originally Posted by MikeW_ORD (Post 32193363)
When I looked on Chase UR page, it was roughly 25k points/night to book without any restrictions on length of stay. This is because it is essentially equivalent to a cash purchase in the eyes of Hyatt. When booking through Hyatt directly, it was the standard award rate of 30k points per night, and I believe it only allows a 3 night stay or 6 night stay because the Andaz Maui is very strict on award bookings. I don't have any status or accumulated points with Hyatt, so I would just book the points stay through Chase to save money instead of transferring Chase UR to Hyatt.

Great idea - had not thought of that. I have been saving my Chase UR for transfer to airlines but maybe it makes more sense to use them as cash at properties like Andaz. I can always find other places to use my Hyatt points. Plus I can get a room that doesn't overlook the trash bin and maybe use a lounge cert. And airfares are pretty cheap right now...

PortlySpartacus Mar 20, 20 8:45 am

So I assume if you book Hyatt thru a Chase UR redemption you still get Hyatt stay credit towards status?

skj Mar 20, 20 9:17 am


Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus (Post 32210691)
So I assume if you book Hyatt thru a Chase UR redemption you still get Hyatt stay credit towards status?

Off topic ...

That would be an incorrect assumption. If you book using UR points through Chase, you are actually booking though an OTA, expedia.com. The T&Cs explicitly state that bookings through Expedia are "Ineligible Rates" and don't accrue points, stay credits, or in-hotel status benefits. Some may get lucky and get credit for third party bookings, but you have no recourse if you don't.

fly046 May 11, 20 5:34 am

Andaz GM Interview
 
Happen to stumble on this recent interview with the Andaz GM/Area VP this morning:

https://mauinow.com/2020/05/01/video-real-talk -with-andaz-maui-at-wailea-resort-area-vice-president-and-general-manager-michael-jokovich/

Obviously they suspended operations back on March 24, but the local Mayor deemed construction work at both the Andaz and the Regency essential so that is happening. I would imagine other hotels, on Maui at least, think similarly and are optimistic over their post-corona prospects.

josephstern May 11, 20 8:05 am

Glad to see that they're ramping up construction there. That's one silver lining - construction can move faster on plenty of projects around the world.

sam_goh May 12, 20 4:54 pm

Our reservations for mid June were cancelled today.

777 global mile hound May 12, 20 6:20 pm


Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 32370022)
Our reservations for mid June were cancelled today.

Sorry to hear that the challenges continue to be overwhelming for most everybody except perhaps if you happen to be Bill Gates;)
He just dropped 43 million for a weekend waterfront escape home in San Diego to quarantine in
My question is even if the hotel were to operate would you really go to Hawaii now with a mandatory two week quarantine
in the hotel room before being legally allowed out and about?
Read about the couple who were arrested for going grocery shopping upon arrival
I would reckon you would be there 3 to 4 weeks to actually do your vacation justice unless you never planned on coming out of your room in the first place! :D

Dsnow0819 May 12, 20 6:49 pm

It looks like all stays before June 15 have been canceled. I have a stay booked over July 4th. Iím hopeful but not holding my breath.

beachfan May 21, 20 12:07 am

Any award availability at all? Iíve looked for seven nights in 4q, 2 nights, didnít find it.

Matt4200 May 21, 20 1:09 am


Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 32392192)
Any award availability at all? Iíve looked for seven nights in 4q, 2 nights, didnít find it.

I would venture a guess that due to the new policy (24 hour cancellation if booked by 6/30) people are hoarding Award rooms in hopes of trips later this year.

dkc192 May 21, 20 2:59 am


Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 32392273)
I would venture a guess that due to the new policy (24 hour cancellation if booked by 6/30) people are hoarding Award rooms in hopes of trips later this year.

I don't know that the new cancellation policy would have incentivized that many new/incremental speculative bookings. At least personally, I would have no issues making a speculative booking many months out under the "normal" 21-day policy.

Matt4200 May 21, 20 3:19 am


Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 32392439)
I don't know that the new cancellation policy would have incentivized that many new/incremental speculative bookings. At least personally, I would have no issues making a speculative booking many months out under the "normal" 21-day policy.

Personally, I wouldnít make a reservation at any property that has a 21 day policy. Iíve only ever made 1 non-refundable reservation, but it was under $100 and at a HC so not a big deal if I couldnít make it. My plans can change vastly in 21 days, so past the 10 day mark is stretching it for me. I thought Andaz Papagayoís 14 day policy was a bit too much. In fall itís 7 days but spring is 14 days, a bit odd I thought.

I definitely think many people booked for December in hopes of a holiday vacation. A good portion of them were additionally incentivized by the much shorter cancellation policy IMO.

spgplat21 May 21, 20 9:21 am


Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 32392192)
Any award availability at all? I’ve looked for seven nights in 4q, 2 nights, didn’t find it.

Try searching for 10 night blocks. That's been the minimum number of nights on some dates for a while now and looks to be the issue you're running into. No one is hoarding award nights. I searched for 10 nights and found several October, November, and December dates available.

cvseuy May 21, 20 9:23 am

3 Night Blocks also worked as well. You can always add another night.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:18 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.