Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
They don't compare. It depends on what one is looking for from the visit, but they don't compare at all. I used to stay at HR annually, and since Andaz opened I haven't returned to HR... but then Andaz blows away HR for what I want (not for everyone) ...as I've documented upthread or in HR thread.
Boraxo and laxsnaogg like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Looks like they are back to 10 nights (in June 2020, anyway). What a joke...I love staying here, but honestly...
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
Looks like they are back to 10 nights (in June 2020, anyway). What a joke...I love staying here, but honestly...
Any idea if it is still possible to book 10 nts and then call Hyatt to reduce the # of nts? Still sucks to need 300k pts in acct to do this ...
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Any idea if it is still possible to book 10 nts and then call Hyatt to reduce the # of nts? Still sucks to need 300k pts in acct to do this ...
If u are globalist u don't need the points in advance
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Yes. Booked ten nights over July 4th and shortened to six nights last month. Globalist though.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
More game playing. The standard room is available via Costco but not Hyatt.. Dec 20-25. Costco package with car rental $6,341. Hyatt.com $9307 where "resort view" is the lowest category. Base room suddenly available when booking Dec 10-25.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Considering that they do literally have "dumpster view (and smell!)" rooms, resort view is an upgrade.

But, yeah, sounds like they're playing games.

Are flights in that Costco package? For how many people?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
More game playing. The standard room is available via Costco but not Hyatt.. Dec 20-25. Costco package with car rental $6,341. Hyatt.com $9307 where "resort view" is the lowest category. Base room suddenly available when booking Dec 10-25.
Sorry, that's not correct it's another/new gaming. I mean, yes, they game (big time), but Resort View isn't close to the class of room that books into Reward space. Below Resort View is Mountain View and Garden View.

For your Costco compare it's apples to apples.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:09 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Sorry, that's not correct it's another/new gaming. I mean, yes, they game (big time), but Resort View isn't close to the class of room that books into Reward space. Below Resort View is Mountain View and Garden View.

For your Costco compare it's apples to apples.
My point is they are taking the base inventory and making it available to Costco or other sales channel instead of Hyatt.com effectively shutting out award redemption.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:04 pm

I'm not following... base inventory is Garden View. You post that Costco is selling Resort View. Resort View is not base inventory, it's two grades higher.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:32 pm
Original Member

Sorry if I wasn't being clear, the lowest/cheapest room hyatt.com was showing was a 1K/2Q Resort View for $9K for the stay while for the same dates, Costco was selling the base room (1K/2Q) for $6k. So not only is the property making the base room available to other channels except for hyatt.com, you also can't do a Best Price Guarantee as the same room type is not offered to Hyatt..
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:15 pm

OK, so now I understand we're not comparing anything to Reward inventory. But what is surprising about a hotel selling (like much earlier) at-the-time non-base level inventory wholesale for resell to a travel agent (like Costco), only to later when that inventory becomes "cheapest available" have the hotel's inventory management system price it higher than the travel agent is retailing it for?

If Hyatt already sold out all but a few of it's Resort View inventory (much of it wholesale to Costco even), then Hyatt's yield mgmt would raise the price of that little remaining for sale inventory, and what can Hyatt do if Costco lowers prices in an effort to not be left with a "perishable asset"?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:12 pm
Original Member

The thing is this, the base room is available on a 14-night stay covering the 5 nights I have in mind. So the hotel does have inventory not allocated to Costco.

Only reason I haven't done the book a reservation meeting the hotel minimum night requirement and trim off the excess is the hotel has a 90 day cancel which my dates are well within.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They seem to have a new room category:

Property Development View

I hope I'm not getting that! I did book long before the construction was announced, but I'm sure they won't care.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:34 pm

Just returned from a stay at this property. Some notes (as non-elite Hyatt member who has stayed at Grand Wailea and Marriott Wailea next door):

Basics:
1. Used points for a three night stay, booked several months in advance. Was shocked to be able to do so, because couldn't do so last year in many tries.
2. Received garden view room on wing facing employee parking lot. Not bad, as the foliage blocked most of the view of the parking lot and noise was minimal on the lanai. Could have been worse, as they have similar rooms overlooking the loading dock.

Good:
1. Room was in great shape. Only problem was a do not disturb light that was out. :-)
2. Shower is amazingly large, with both rain shower and handheld shower (and the glass peekaboo wall).
3. Internet speed good, 15 up and down. Fast enough for anything, really. TV s set up for easy linking with your phone or laptop for streaming using Google Chromecast.
4. Beach access is great. Mokapu beach is the least trafficked beach on this stretch of lux resorts. Decent snorkeling on reef between both Mokapu and Ulua beach next door.
5. Beach service great. I didn't have any problem getting chairs for my group of 3 and umbrellas. Beach guys were great with real service.
6. Resort fee is reasonable for services provided. Beach chairs, umbrellas, snorkel gear, boogie boards, outrigger tour, stand up paddle board tour all included (tips asked for on the tours). Wife went to lei making class and hula and both were quality events.
7. Free washer/dryer and detergent. Nice touch.
8. Low traffic property. You didn't feel like you were part of the crowd at the mega resorts next door. Service was more personal and relaxed.

OK:
1.. Room design is funky. Having a direct view into the shower from a full glass wall into the bedroom (which can be shielded by a shutter) is a weird design touch, even for couples on a romantic getaway.
2. Ultramodern room design may put some off, as you have to figure out where things are as they are not obvious. Figuring out how to open and close blinds and lights with switches takes a bit of time.
3. Valet only parking. Fast service but having to tip every time I go in the car is not something I value. IMO, a car is mandatory for Maui, though they do offer a shuttle for only within Wailea.
4. Pools are fine, with no problem finding a chair at the larger pool and not bad elsewhere. Free Beach Bum sunscreen with towel service. No 'fun' pools, more for just relaxing.

Bad:
1. Very expensive. Expect it for food and the like.

Not a bad choice, though I miss the old Renaissance/Stouffer that used to be located here. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.