Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 17, 19, 2:03 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by jameswes View Post
I concur - if you know what to do and how to do it, you can still work within the availability that Andaz Maui provides. But it is annoying that a Hyatt owned and operated property would be intentionally skirting the rules for making availability to the top tier status guests.
Itís not owned by Hyatt anymore: https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...o-sale-to.html
Old Jul 18, 19, 12:06 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Ah! That explains the very customer-unfriendly policies. I wonder if thereís some easy way to tell which properties are Hyatt owned.
Old Jul 18, 19, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by synzero View Post
Ah! That explains the very customer-unfriendly policies. I wonder if thereís some easy way to tell which properties are Hyatt owned.
It's still Hyatt-managed.
Old Jul 18, 19, 9:02 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
It's still Hyatt-managed.
I know, but the owners are the bosses; Hyatt in this case are just contracted to provide management services but since they donít own the hotel anymore they have much less freedom to set policy and largely have to do what the owners want. Hyatt should really pressure these owners to curtail these customer-unfriendly policies as it will sully the brand, but itís much easier to set the terms when you own the property.
Old Jul 18, 19, 9:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by synzero View Post
To be fair, Andaz Maui has been pulling this stuff since it opened.

I hope that HR Coconut Point doesn't follow suit, because that is an amazing hotel as well.
Old Jul 18, 19, 9:48 am

this is a silly tangent - Hyatt owns only a handful of properties and uses it's franchise agreement (drafted by Hyatt lawyers) to exert control over hotel owners and protect the brand - that is quite sufficient in almost all cases to ensure a roughly uniform customer experience.

Andaz Maui is always going to be unique as the top in-demand property for redemptions. So, Hyatt tolerates a bit of gamemanship because it just wouldn't work for the economics of the hotel for it to be filled all the year with redemptions. It's a legit tough issue.

How to solve it? Prolly the only way is Cat8. So, you want to tolerate the gamemanship of the hotel owners or do you want it to move to Cat8. Pick your poison - i prefer the former.
Old Jul 18, 19, 10:06 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

management contracts can be terminated or not extended. suddenly it is a Starriott.

I personally prefer Hyatt owned hotels. Not too keen on the path Hyatt is taking in selling their properties to generate cash.

Last edited by 59Impala; Jul 18, 19 at 12:46 pm
Old Jul 18, 19, 2:57 pm

Just a heads up, suites are now available. My concierge was able to speak to the reservation manager to get some released into inventory. So now I have two rooms for 10 nights, 600k points and two tsus (for the one room since the stay is longer than 7 nights).

I know I was chided for rating my concierge as a 5/5 but she truly is amazing.
Old Jul 18, 19, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by ZBigFam View Post
Correct, andaz Maui requires minimum stays of 10 nights for awards and also then blocks the andaz suite so that its not available for 10 nights so you can't apply a tsu.

Sorry, what's the big deal? Book 10 nights, then call and shorten it to three or four or whatever number of nights you desire. I do this every year (because they always play some game every year).
Old Jul 18, 19, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala View Post
management contracts can be terminated or not extended. suddenly it is a Starriott.

I personally prefer Hyatt owned hotels. Not too keen on the path Hyatt is taking in selling their properties to generate cash.
I think that's what others are getting at - there aren't many truly "owned" properties.

I happened to find this on the googler:
https://s2.q4cdn.com/278413729/files...perty-List.pdf

As of mid-2017, there were only about 40 total properties in the US owned by Hyatt (out of ~600 total?). So like it or not, the big brands all rely on franchising and/or management contracts.
Old Jul 18, 19, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala View Post

That's a pretty big conversion for a hotel of this size. There's signage and amenities and renovations and staff retraining and computer work.

It's not like one day they just dump Hyatt and 30 days later they're a W.
Old Jul 18, 19, 5:31 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by canyonleo View Post
Sorry, what's the big deal? Book 10 nights, then call and shorten it to three or four or whatever number of nights you desire. I do this every year (because they always play some game every year).
The problem is that guests shouldn't have to have 250000 or 300000 points to use 100000
MikeW_ORD likes this.
Old Jul 18, 19, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo View Post
I don't think you read upthread, the suites were not available in inventory at all. Hyatt acknowledged this.

For me it was a big deal that they added the suites into inventory so that others could book them as well.
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:53 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jameswes View Post
I think that's what others are getting at - there aren't many truly "owned" properties.

I happened to find this on the googler:
https://s2.q4cdn.com/278413729/files...perty-List.pdf

As of mid-2017, there were only about 40 total properties in the US owned by Hyatt (out of ~600 total?). So like it or not, the big brands all rely on franchising and/or management contracts.
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
That's a pretty big conversion for a hotel of this size. There's signage and amenities and renovations and staff retraining and computer work.

It's not like one day they just dump Hyatt and 30 days later they're a W.
Yeah, I know it' something big to change the brand, but happens every now and then. And I'm aware that all major hotel chains are following this path.
We are getting a bit off topic here - including myself
Old Jul 19, 19, 8:26 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by antonius66 View Post
The problem is that guests shouldn't have to have 250000 or 300000 points to use 100000

They don't need to... as noted just up-thread one can book over one's balance, temporarily, be it because of stated reason "I'm about to earn a boatload" or unstated "I'm just going to down-size to few nights in a day or two".

Yes, more games... but that's how it's done at the property. Sure, we can complain online, but we can also tip on how to manage it and game back.

Search this Thread