Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 22, 19, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Colin View Post
it sure is convenient that Morimoto is my favorite restaurant on Maui
I like it quite a bit as well. Frankly, it might actually even be cheaper than Mama's too. Maybe not.

I also think Ka'ana Kitchen is quite good, and not just at breakfast.

Finally, I wish Star Noodle wasn't so far. I basically never go unless I'm staying up that way. Not worth that trafficky drive from Wailea.
Old Mar 22, 19, 11:53 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
Finally, I wish Star Noodle wasn't so far. I basically never go unless I'm staying up that way. Not worth that trafficky drive from Wailea.

Actually, IMO if anyone is up in West Maui while Star is a fine option, I think Joey's Kitchen (the original in Napili Plaza, I can't speak to the one in Ka'anapali) is some of the best food (at nice prices) on the island.
Old Mar 22, 19, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo View Post
Actually, IMO if anyone is up in West Maui while Star is a fine option, I think Joey's Kitchen (the original in Napili Plaza, I can't speak to the one in Ka'anapali) is some of the best food (at nice prices) on the island.
Great - I haven't been to either. I'll try it out next time I'm up there!

I wouldn't mind some more of these types of places down in Kihei and Wailea . . .
Old Mar 22, 19, 12:28 pm

Great - I haven't been to either. I'll try it out next time I'm up there!

I wouldn't mind some more of these types of places down in Kihei and Wailea . . .

There are lists up-thread... but my favorites in South Maui include:

Wailea:
Pita Paradise
Monkey Pod

Kihei (north to south):
Izakaya Genbe (dinner only)

Nutcharee's Thai
Vietnamese place in same mall as above

Roasted Chiles (for happy hour, don't let the dark strip mall location fool you the food is home made and their house tequila is quite good for well)
Sansei (expensive, but has happy hour sometimes)
Three's (for happy hour sushi menu, great brussel sprouts)
Hawaiian Moons Natural Food (counter and food bar a la Whole Foods in back of market - great açai bowl)

Fred's/Moose's (only for taco Tuesday happy hour menu)
5 Palms sushi restaurant outdoor deck (happy hour)

On Piilani Hwy:
Ba-Le Vietnamese (don't let the cheap fast food appearance fool you)
The new Thai take out place next door to Ba-Le

Not a fan:
Da Kitchen, Maui Thai Bistro, Maui Tacos
Old Mar 22, 19, 12:55 pm

Nice list. There are some spots in there that I haven't been to. Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I mean, it's good. It's overpriced but everything in Maui is overpriced.

I think that most of the food in Maui is pretty terrible, so Mama's sticks out. If there were good restaurants everywhere it would not be worth the trip.
Yeah, I also don't think Hawaii is a good place to eat out -- especially the "better" restaurants. Just bad value for only OK food. But I guess rich folks are on vacation, and want to eat fancy meals. So they do.

My own strategy is to find the best Hawaiian plate lunch restaurants and eat there. Never expensive, and almost always good. And stuff you're not going to eat at home (unless home is Hawaii). That said, I don't think Maui is a particularly good place for plate lunches in Hawaii. Just like it isn't a good place for shave ice (very expensive compared to the other islands for generally worse quality). The most famous plate lunch on Maui is probably Da Kitchen. I think they're only slightly above average in the plate lunch world, but they're certainly decent value for Maui. Split one of their plates: it's more than enough food. Try one of their combos the first time. I do takeout (I think the location in Kihei is only takeout). I also think Maui Teriyaki in Kihei is decent. Especially the fried fish. If you make it to Hana, try Bruddah Hutt's for lunch. Order the Kalua pig to split.
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: WOH Globalist
We usually always eat at Tin Roof when arriving and departing from the airport. Owner is a former Top Chef contestant and is a very popular hawaiian chef. Its a tiny take out restaurant but the food is great at an affordable price point.
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:00 pm

[QUOTE=canyonleo;30917682]There are lists up-thread... but my favorites in South Maui include:

Wailea:
Pita Paradise
Monkey Pod

Kihei (north to south):
Izakaya Genbe (dinner only)

Nutcharee's Thai
Vietnamese place in same mall as above

Roasted Chiles (for happy hour, don't let the dark strip mall location fool you the food is home made and their house tequila is quite good for well)
Sansei (expensive, but has happy hour sometimes)
Three's (for happy hour sushi menu, great brussel sprouts)
Hawaiian Moons Natural Food (counter and food bar a la Whole Foods in back of market - great açai bowl

Dont miss Cuatro in Kihei. Tiny place, BYOB, but incredible food.
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:18 pm

Da Kitchen is horrible. Five years ago (and before) it was ok, but now it's worse than mall fast food quality - I stopped going there. Cuatro is ok, but there's much better options at same price and location (like Roasted Chiles, and Amigos)... but it's not on my "avoid" list like Da Kitchen or Maui Tacos.

Maui has lots of plate lunch places that are good. Joey's is like fancy plate lunch, and it's at the top. That place on the main drag in Lahaina is ok too. The food trucks in both food truck villages in Kihei are ok but pricey (if you're making a mid-day time trip to Costco save a meal for the food truck village there across the highway to the north).

But, where Oahu has great restaurants especially plate lunch options galore, I agree Maui doesn't live up to that (luckily it's better than Oahu by almost any other measure/variable).
Old Mar 23, 19, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Yeah, I also don't think Hawaii is a good place to eat out -- especially the "better" restaurants. Just bad value for only OK food. But I guess rich folks are on vacation, and want to eat fancy meals. So they do.

My own strategy is to find the best Hawaiian plate lunch restaurants and eat there. Never expensive, and almost always good. And stuff you're not going to eat at home (unless home is Hawaii). That said, I don't think Maui is a particularly good place for plate lunches in Hawaii. Just like it isn't a good place for shave ice (very expensive compared to the other islands for generally worse quality). The most famous plate lunch on Maui is probably Da Kitchen. I think they're only slightly above average in the plate lunch world, but they're certainly decent value for Maui. Split one of their plates: it's more than enough food. Try one of their combos the first time. I do takeout (I think the location in Kihei is only takeout). I also think Maui Teriyaki in Kihei is decent. Especially the fried fish. If you make it to Hana, try Bruddah Hutt's for lunch. Order the Kalua pig to split.

Why do you come to Maui? You seems to hate everything about it. Just curious after reading several of your posts about how terrible everything is.

-David
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Mar 23, 19 at 10:59 pm
Old Mar 23, 19, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo View Post
Da Kitchen is horrible. Five years ago (and before) it was ok, but now it's worse than mall fast food quality - I stopped going there.
which one? There's two, one in Kihei, not too far from the Andaz, but it's just a Da Kitchen Express, it's nothing like the other one.

There's another one in Kahului that's been remodeled and is much nicer with a much better menu and it's a full service restaurant. But it's out of the way for most tourist destinations since it's near the airport.

-David
Old Mar 24, 19, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
Why do you come to Maui? You seems to hate everything about it. Just curious after reading several of your posts about how terrible everything is.

-David
I'm sorry that my comments don't meet your standards for pro-Maui enthusiasm. I actually started returning to Maui because my preferred vacation area on the Big Island (Kapoho) was destroyed last year by the volcano. I'm basically looking for an alternative, and Maui has good hotel options to use points at -- so an obvious place to start looking from. But my investigation of the island the past year isn't all that favorable. I suggest you look at other islands as well for your vacations. You might discover something better.

BTW: Is my assessment of the Maui dining scene actually wrong? I don't think so!

Last edited by iahphx; Mar 24, 19 at 5:34 am Reason: more
Old Mar 24, 19, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by faboi0us View Post
We usually always eat at Tin Roof when arriving and departing from the airport. Owner is a former Top Chef contestant and is a very popular hawaiian chef. Its a tiny take out restaurant but the food is great at an affordable price point.
Seconded. I really like a post-flight meal at Tin Roof.
Old Mar 24, 19, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seconded. I really like a post-flight meal at Tin Roof.
Tin Roof is obviously the type of local-vibe, value-oriented establishment that foodies should be looking to eat at. I haven't yet been able to try it, however. I think they're only open for lunch and closed on Sundays. And, personally, I don't look for extra reasons to head to Kahului - although almost everyone who visits Maui passes through at some time. I'm usually flying home at night, so I visit Da Kitchen (very close to the airport) if I need a pre-flight meal. But I will try to hit Tin Roof next time I arrive at lunchtime.
faboi0us likes this.
Old Mar 24, 19, 1:41 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Forgot to mention, Matteo's in Wailea as well. Decent option for Italian close to the resort.

Search this Thread