FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

clover Sep 5, 18 5:56 pm

Tubs in every room or just showers?
 
I'm considering this hotel for our anniversary vacation in late Oct or early Nov (this year) and overall it sounds great. Just had a question that I can't find the answer to in this thread:

One non-negotiable requirement for my wife when we travel is that the room have a deep "soaking" tub rather than a standard tub or tub/shower combo. From some pictures online it appears that all rooms have the rainshower and also what appears to be a deep, though small-ish tub in the room. Is this accurate and if so, is the tub at least large enough to be useful? I did note that the suites have a separate free standing tub which would be fine but don't know if that upgrade will be available (using Amex FHR) and can't take the chance that the regular Ocean View rooms don't have a decent one.

Actually the old Renaissance Wailea was one of our favorites before it closed. We used to stay in the Mokapu suites (which were really just modest hotel rooms on just off the beach) and loved the ability to have a short walk to the beach, use the "private pool" etc. Many of the staff were long term as well which resulted in a nice vibe.

Thanks to all!

I'm planning to use Amex FHR for 5th night free and the other benefits it offers. Any better deals anywhere? I don't have any other cards with significant benefits and down to 150,000 points or so with Starwood/Marriott. Thanks again!

josephstern Sep 5, 18 7:21 pm

I have never had a tub in any room I've stayed in here, which is both suites and regular rooms.

Edit: poster below is right. Ocean view suites do have a separate tub. Not sure about pool suites.

slm9555 Sep 5, 18 8:55 pm


Originally Posted by clover (Post 30171839)
I'm considering this hotel for our anniversary vacation in late Oct or early Nov (this year) and overall it sounds great. Just had a question that I can't find the answer to in this thread:

One non-negotiable requirement for my wife when we travel is that the room have a deep "soaking" tub rather than a standard tub or tub/shower combo. From some pictures online it appears that all rooms have the rainshower and also what appears to be a deep, though small-ish tub in the room. Is this accurate and if so, is the tub at least large enough to be useful? I did note that the suites have a separate free standing tub which would be fine but don't know if that upgrade will be available (using Amex FHR) and can't take the chance that the regular Ocean View rooms don't have a decent one.

Actually the old Renaissance Wailea was one of our favorites before it closed. We used to stay in the Mokapu suites (which were really just modest hotel rooms on just off the beach) and loved the ability to have a short walk to the beach, use the "private pool" etc. Many of the staff were long term as well which resulted in a nice vibe.

Thanks to all!

I'm planning to use Amex FHR for 5th night free and the other benefits it offers. Any better deals anywhere? I don't have any other cards with significant benefits and down to 150,000 points or so with Starwood/Marriott. Thanks again!

i has an ocean view suite that had a separate soaking tub. Your best best is probably to call the hotel and ask.

Peatisback Sep 6, 18 6:23 am

Pool Suites have a tub also.

clover Sep 6, 18 1:16 pm


Originally Posted by Peatisback (Post 30173477)
Pool Suites have a tub also.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I will definitely call the hotel today, however it appears that there are a few tubs in the non-suite rooms that are on a request basis only: Picture from Trip Advisor review ; Also from Trip Advisor

If we can't confirm one of those rooms, we'll have to head elsewhere this time.

lagunas2k Sep 6, 18 2:04 pm


Originally Posted by clover (Post 30175106)
Thanks for all the quick replies. I will definitely call the hotel today, however it appears that there are a few tubs in the non-suite rooms that are on a request basis only: Picture from Trip Advisor review ; Also from Trip Advisor

If we can't confirm one of those rooms, we'll have to head elsewhere this time.

I just had a stay with a smallish deep tub (good for one) next to the standing shower. It was a partial ocean view room, first room from the elevator in the Makai tower. Room had two queens though. In my previous stays I've never had a small tub in our ocean view room.

ABG Sep 6, 18 4:09 pm


Originally Posted by clover (Post 30171839)
I'm planning to use Amex FHR for 5th night free and the other benefits it offers. Any better deals anywhere?

Yes, Hyatt Prive which will confirm upgrades, early/late checkout if need and can properly communicate the wife's love of tubs

clover Sep 7, 18 12:36 pm


Originally Posted by ABG (Post 30175914)
Yes, Hyatt Prive which will confirm upgrades, early/late checkout if need and can properly communicate the wife's love of tubs

That sounds promising. Any suggestions for an agent that is in the Hyatt Prive program? I've never used it before and, while I'm a member, I don't think I have any status remaining with them. Thanks again for the suggestion.

skj Sep 7, 18 12:53 pm


Originally Posted by clover (Post 30179391)
That sounds promising. Any suggestions for an agent that is in the Hyatt Prive program? I've never used it before and, while I'm a member, I don't think I have any status remaining with them. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Please take discussion or questions on the Prive program here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...re-please.html

CloneCones Sep 10, 18 12:27 pm

Anyone get upgraded (to anything) as a Globalist without using a DSU? I will be going for 10 days all on points in November and was just curious what I could potentially get. Not really hopeful since I went with the cheapest point option because that was all the points I had (250k!!!) so I'll probably end up in a 2 queen room facing the garden or something.

josephstern Sep 10, 18 1:00 pm

Yup. Got a suite once without a suite upgrade being used. But that was a few years ago. I really doubt that would happen today, given their occupancy rates.

canyonleo Sep 10, 18 1:39 pm


Originally Posted by CloneCones (Post 30188930)
Anyone get upgraded (to anything) as a Globalist without using a DSU? I will be going for 10 days all on points in November and was just curious what I could potentially get. Not really hopeful since I went with the cheapest point option because that was all the points I had (250k!!!) so I'll probably end up in a 2 queen room facing the garden or something.

In my opinion, they treat Diamonds very well here, and one might guess you will get an upgrade unless house is full and they just don't have one to give. That said, if I was in your shoes, I would call a week before my arrival and talk to a FO manager (maybe start with some other property questions, just to make it a friendly(er) discussion, and then noting I'm a Diamond ask what upgrades upon check in might be available and discuss the blocking or my room) - as opposed to just leaving it to chance.

clover Sep 28, 18 1:06 pm

Thanks for all the replies and sorry it's taken me so long to return to the thread. I found my way to travel agent Kristin Nix (thanks FT!) and she's been great to work with. She was found that only a few non-suite rooms have the (smallish) deep tubs and the hotel will not confirm them pre -arrival. All suites have the free standing large deep tub so we focused on that category. Eventually we made a reservation via Kristen's Prive status for a partial ocean view suite. The Prive package includes 5th night free, $100 property credit, upgrade on arrival, full breakfast. Unfortunately it does not waive the $45 resort fee (any ideas on how to get that done?). Kristen was able to confirm an upgrade to full ocean view suite the day after we made the reservation! We're headed there in early November and really looking forward to our week. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. I'll post an update on our experience when we return.

Colin Sep 28, 18 2:35 pm


Originally Posted by clover (Post 30257544)
Thanks for all the replies and sorry it's taken me so long to return to the thread. I found my way to travel agent Kristin Nix (thanks FT!) and she's been great to work with. She was found that only a few non-suite rooms have the (smallish) deep tubs and the hotel will not confirm them pre -arrival. All suites have the free standing large deep tub so we focused on that category. Eventually we made a reservation via Kristen's Prive status for a partial ocean view suite. The Prive package includes 5th night free, $100 property credit, upgrade on arrival, full breakfast. Unfortunately it does not waive the $45 resort fee (any ideas on how to get that done?). Kristen was able to confirm an upgrade to full ocean view suite the day after we made the reservation! We're headed there in early November and really looking forward to our week. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. I'll post an update on our experience when we return.

I love the Andaz Maui, but no way in hell I'd pay ~$4000 for 5 nights in an Ocean Suite.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...db6b253c1a.jpg

josephstern Sep 28, 18 2:42 pm


Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30257944)
I love the Andaz Maui, but no way in hell I'd pay ~$4000 for 5 nights in an Ocean Suite.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...db6b253c1a.jpg

How do you know that's what the poster is paying?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:11 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.