Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lagunas2k
Anybody have experience as an explorist on points stays here? We have six nights coming up, and hoping for a non-parking lot view. Cost to upgrade to an ocean view was quoted at $100 per night+tax. Trying to decided how much to gamble. Our last stay was in the Ocean View and it was nice, never saw the garden or partial view rooms.
Each their own, but risking six nights of a dumpster/parking lot view or a guarantee of those six of ocean view for $600... Might be kicking yourself if it doesn’t work out. You’ll have leverage on the paid upgrade vs the full freebie.
Duke777 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs

Each their own, but risking six nights of a dumpster/parking lot view or a guarantee of those six of ocean view for $600... Might be kicking yourself if it doesn’t work out. You’ll have leverage on the paid upgrade vs the full freebie.
Agreed. We walked by the "garden" view rooms every day and they are really pretty horrible from an ambiance point of view. Can't speak to occupancy and odds of the free upgrade but in my opinion you really really really have to be OK with the dumpster view to pass up a chance at locking in ocean view for $100 a night. Personally i'd be Ok with it because we were down at the pool or out and about most of the time. But I know the better half would have felt gypped if she didn't have some kind of even partial view of the ocean and the resort. I don't know if you can, but ii'd see if there's an opportunity to split the difference and maybe upgrade to partial ocean view for $50 a night or something...that way you avoid the "garden" but also have a few hundred extra to throw at cocktails.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by boolean64
Agreed. We walked by the "garden" view rooms every day and they are really pretty horrible from an ambiance point of view. Can't speak to occupancy and odds of the free upgrade but in my opinion you really really really have to be OK with the dumpster view to pass up a chance at locking in ocean view for $100 a night. Personally i'd be Ok with it because we were down at the pool or out and about most of the time. But I know the better half would have felt gypped if she didn't have some kind of even partial view of the ocean and the resort. I don't know if you can, but ii'd see if there's an opportunity to split the difference and maybe upgrade to partial ocean view for $50 a night or something...that way you avoid the "garden" but also have a few hundred extra to throw at cocktails.
I think I'm going to roll the dice. We're bringing our toddler, so figure the view is not as critical since the blinds will probably be closed for nap time etc. Plus the extra cash can go towards breakfast everyday since I'm no longer a diamond/globalist. Hopeful I can get at least a partial ocean view, but since this is all on points, I'm ok with the no view option.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by lagunas2k
Anybody have experience as an explorist on points stays here? We have six nights coming up, and hoping for a non-parking lot view. Cost to upgrade to an ocean view was quoted at $100 per night+tax. Trying to decided how much to gamble. Our last stay was in the Ocean View and it was nice, never saw the garden or partial view rooms.
Stayed here September 2017 for 5 nights (Mon-Sat) with Discoverist status I have from the Hyatt CC and while I didn't get any upgrade my garden view room didn't have a horrible view of the parking lot. The room was was the first on the right on the Makai section of the hotel and it overlooked the zigzag plunge pool and I found it be be perfectly fine (see red circle on resort map
below ). The room itself was very large and quiet and since we spent most of the time outside either at the beach or the pools it didn't really matter what the view looked like. I'll stay here again next time we visit Maui (assuming I can find award availability) and would highly recommend it as the staff was great, the food was really good, and both the pools and their beach is awesome. I highly recommend that you check with the concierge team as soon as you arrive and reserve one of the Go Pros so you can take some pictures while you snorkel (the snorkel gear can be borrowed from the beach team for free).

Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by FTNNBP
Stayed here September 2017 for 5 nights (Mon-Sat) with Discoverist status I have from the Hyatt CC and while I didn't get any upgrade my garden view room didn't have a horrible view of the parking lot. The room was was the first on the right on the Makai section of the hotel and it overlooked the zigzag plunge pool and I found it be be perfectly fine (see red circle on resort map
below ). The room itself was very large and quiet and since we spent most of the time outside either at the beach or the pools it didn't really matter what the view looked like. I'll stay here again next time we visit Maui (assuming I can find award availability) and would highly recommend it as the staff was great, the food was really good, and both the pools and their beach is awesome. I highly recommend that you check with the concierge team as soon as you arrive and reserve one of the Go Pros so you can take some pictures while you snorkel (the snorkel gear can be borrowed from the beach team for free).

That doesn't seem that bad. We were on the bottom floor of the Hema wing at the end of the hall and facing the resort. Not great but not too bad considering we snagged a DSU upgrade and were close to breakfast. The rooms in the Hema wing facing away from the resort were pretty grim. And there is indeed a garbage area/loading dock where the Hema wing meets the main building. I saw/heard it every time i went to refill our water bottles at the end of the hall. So even within the garden rooms i guess there is substantial variation and luck involved...
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:50 pm

Any recent point stays here as a globalist? If so, what type of room did you end up getting?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slm9555
Any recent point stays here as a globalist? If so, what type of room did you end up getting?
Not sure if this helps, but I have a stay lined up in the Fall. Upgraded to Pool Suite. Hoping I get something better.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:19 pm

I used points and a dsu. Got pool suite. Had a magnificent stay in May.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Not sure if this helps, but I have a stay lined up in the Fall. Upgraded to Pool Suite. Hoping I get something better.
was this with or without a dsu?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slm9555

was this with or without a dsu?
With. Hoping for those higher view suites I've had in the past.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:44 pm

Just had a great stay for 6 nights. Used points as an explorist and got upgraded to a partial ocean view room. Makai wing 4th floor. No early check in, and was able to get late check out until 1 PM after asking multiple times. Was told only 12 PM at check in.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:36 pm

do you still need the 10 nights minimum to book award stays, or has that changed? What's the room category for awards?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:14 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by yerffej201
do you still need the 10 nights minimum to book award stays, or has that changed? What's the room category for awards?
no - I had booked a February visit on P+C for 4 nights (but cancelled again in the mean time).

Don't remember what the category was.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
I ended up booking 6 nights, but had to book in 3 night increments. This hotel still plays weird games with availability. Room category is garden view.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:35 am
Suspended

So I'm trying to book this on points for June 2019 and not a damn thing except 3 nights (not available starting the Saturday).

Am I missing something here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.