Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 26, 18, 11:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist ex-Diamond; Marriott Platinum Life; Hilton, AA, United ex-status
"Luxury" and "luau" cannot accurately be used in the same sentence. Maybe more like "slightly upscale menu but even more overpriced mass feeding". Although I have seen people eat about $500 in food (based on raw tonnage more than quality).
Old Apr 5, 18, 12:14 pm

Programs: UR
Would anyone be so kind to PM the Kihei option for parking? Will be at the Andaz on Monday for 7 days. TIA!
Old Apr 5, 18, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by slm9555 View Post
I just searched andaz march 24-28 and itís available on points for a room with 2 queen beds. Maybe award restrictions have finally let up??
The award space has (generally) been there. The issue is that the award space has generally been accompanied by an (unreasonably long) minimum stay requirement.
Picking random dates:
August 16-26 is available on points
September 14-24 is available on points
October 11-21 is available on points
November 9-19 is available on points

So in order to book it:
#1 - You have to know to search for periods of 10 days
#2 - You have to have the points to spare (ie at least 250K)
#3 - You have to then find a Hyatt rep willing to remove the extra days (out of the 10) that you don't want.
Honorable Mention: They don't have a lot of rooms in their specific category. So because of #1, all it takes is a couple of busy weekends where it's booked to prevent you from using points for most of a month. I'm assuming that's probably what's going on in December and January.
Old Apr 26, 18, 11:45 am

Would someone kindly share the latest email address to Andaz Maui? Or [email protected] is still the best option? or [email protected]

I would like to make some request in regards to a marriage proposal. Room upgrades and perhaps proposal settings
Old May 2, 18, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA - EXP; Hyatt Gold Passport (Globalist), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Gold), SPG (Gold), IHG (Platinum
Not sure if I just stumbled upon a unicorn or if they made changes to availability and award stay restrictions, but I just searched and booked a king bed award room for a 3 night stay in August. They were the exact dates we were looking for, first search, no issues.
59Impala likes this.
Old May 3, 18, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by skatsaris View Post
Not sure if I just stumbled upon a unicorn or if they made changes to availability and award stay restrictions, but I just searched and booked a king bed award room for a 3 night stay in August. They were the exact dates we were looking for, first search, no issues.
Yes, they finally appear to be opening up some reasonable award space. Nevertheless, 25K points for the (likely) worst room in the house is not particularly enticing.
Old May 3, 18, 8:21 am

I think you stumbled upon a unicorn and get extremely lucky!
Old May 4, 18, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
Yes, they finally appear to be opening up some reasonable award space. Nevertheless, 25K points for the (likely) worst room in the house is not particularly enticing.
agreed! I received the worst possible room during my anniversary celebration and being a globalist. They offer me to upgrade by paying $$$$....
Old May 5, 18, 7:13 am

Programs: AA - EXP; Hyatt Gold Passport (Globalist), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Gold), SPG (Gold), IHG (Platinum
We did talk about and compared and contrasted the two areas and properties between the Regency or Andaz. We have a lot of points to use and decided to definitely stay Hyatt. We ultimately ended up choosing the area that seemed quieter and the resort that was a little more intimate with a nice beach area. We probably won’t spend that much time in the room in Maui. We will have just finished 8 nights in Kauai, where we will have a bit more down time. If they put us in the worst room, that’s ok... at least breakfast appears to be yummy and the resort fee includes a few neat offerings and activities to occupy some time and provides some extra value. Did you have any issues with resort or parking fees as a Globalist?
Old May 5, 18, 10:28 am

We did talk about and compared and contrasted the two areas and properties between the Regency or Andaz. We have a lot of points to use and decided to definitely stay Hyatt. We ultimately ended up choosing the area that seemed quieter and the resort that was a little more intimate with a nice beach area. We probably wonít spend that much time in the room in Maui. We will have just finished 8 nights in Kauai, where we will have a bit more down time. If they put us in the worst room, thatís ok... at least breakfast appears to be yummy and the resort fee includes a few neat offerings and activities to occupy some time and provides some extra value. Did you have any issues with resort or parking fees as a Globalist?
Last time I stayed, no resort fees, no parking fees, no breakfast charges, all on points, and a nice suite via TSU as a Globalist. Smooth sailing and a fantastic deal.
Old May 5, 18, 11:57 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List, Hyatt Diamond
Heading here next week, found 3 nights available last week on the back half of our trip so we are switching from the Regency after 4 nights to here. Will be nice to compare and go to the nearby beaches of both locations. Was able to lock in a TSU at the Regency but no luck here, only premium suites available. Nice that they opened up inventory at least.
Old May 15, 18, 1:28 pm

Superb in every way. One of the best Hyatt stays I have had.

Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort - a concept by Hyatt

3550 Wailea Alanui Dr Wailea (Maui), HI US 96753

Superb in every way. One of the best Hyatt stays I have had. (0 Photo)

Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort - a concept by Hyatt

Stayed here for 5 nights as a Hyatt Globalist nee Diamond on points. I have read some gripes about this property in the past, particularly its treatment of diamonds, but I found those complaints to be totally without merit.  I have copied my TA review here.

The property itself is very pretty, with beautiful views from the lobby area, and a nice beach and various pools. Everything seemed pretty well maintained and they even had a little sand pit in the lobby where they wrote out a welcome message for guests.

From the moment we arrived, every staff member we interacted with was excellent. Everyone was friendly and seemed genuinely interested in being helpful, from the valets, to the front desk, to the beach attendants, etc. Not one person we dealt with seemed unhappy to be there.

Breakfast was excellent (although the buffet gets a little repetitive after 5 days). The fresh juices were DELICIOUS every day, plus it was a great assortment of pastries, fruits, yogurts, hot dishes, etc etc. Very delicious and a great spread. Another thing that I LOVED, that almost no Hyatt does, was they included the 18% gratuity on the bill for Diamonds, and it was stamped on the bill saying it was included. Now, the Hyatt Terms and Conditions state that the gratuity on a diamond breakfast is included, but no one does this, and most Hyatts actually quibble about removing a standard sized gratuity if you add one. This was a simple touch but it impressed the hell out of me. No issues whatsoever with the breakfast.

The rooms were very nice, as we were in a pool suite and a basic room as well (for one day at the end). Both were actually very nice, and honestly, aside from the extra room and ability to walk right into the pool from my porch, the regular room was plenty nice. Both had awesome showers that were large and had a dual rain/standard nozzle setup, which I LOVE. The beds were very soft and provided a great sleep every night. Bathroom and closet setup was similar in both rooms as well. Good water pressure and my wife said the conditioner was probably the best she has ever had in a hotel, which is impossibly high praise.

The pools were nice and there were several of them. I will say, a minor gripe is that they only have ONE jacuzzi. ONE. That seems a bit silly, especially since it was frequently full of people so we just did not bother. Seems like a second one on the adult side of the resort would be nice, but honestly, we were still able to use it one night when no one was in it.

I brought up an issue regarding a sunscreen that they sold in their market on property and whether or not the chemicals in it were actually reef safe to the assistant front desk manager. In one day, she reached out to their company distributor rep, and replied to me with the response from the company rep, clarified the position of the hotel on the sunscreen they carry going forward and even (unnecessarily) refunded me what I spent in the market on the sunscreen. A prompt response and well above your standard boilerplate response. Kudos to Michelle.

We did not depart until late on our final night, and the hotel allowed us to move to a regular room and stay in there until 7pm so we could get cleaned up and situated before departing on our final night. Now, I am sure this is largely a function of availability (and status) but it was a great gesture and made a ton of difference for us.

They gave us a nice treat for my wife and her birthday when we arrived and even provided another tray of cupcakes for her on her actual birthday, which was a nice touch. The lemonade in the lobby they provide is also delicious.

At the end of the day, I had NO issues with anything on the bill needed to be fixed (no resort fee, no parking fee, no breakfast charges or gratuities), everything ran super smoothly while we were there, the staff were all great, the rooms were great, the breakfast was great, the property itself was superb. I have zero complaints whatsoever. I would not hesitate to return here be it on points or cash.
Superb in every way. One of the best Hyatt stays I have had.

Would you like to write a review on the Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort - a concept by Hyatt?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 15, 18, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66 View Post
At the end of the day, I had NO issues with anything on the bill needed to be fixed, everything ran super smoothly while we were there, the staff were all great, the rooms were great, the breakfast was great, the property itself was superb. I have zero complaints whatsoever. I would not hesitate to return here be it on points or cash.
Interesting. I wonder if they are finally fully embracing the concept of "hospitality"?
Old May 18, 18, 12:21 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LT Globalist
Originally Posted by ronbo83 View Post
Heading here next week, found 3 nights available last week on the back half of our trip so we are switching from the Regency after 4 nights to here. Will be nice to compare and go to the nearby beaches of both locations. Was able to lock in a TSU at the Regency but no luck here, only premium suites available. Nice that they opened up inventory at least.
I was able to get 3 nights on points in February as well - midweek only.
so the minimum stay requirement may be gone?
Old May 18, 18, 8:04 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
Interesting. I wonder if they are finally fully embracing the concept of "hospitality"?
Well my experience says no. We had 3 F&B issues while there and then another one after we left, which is impressive to me that you can make mistakes after a guest leaves! The hotel itself is nice and fits the Andaz brand well. Booked 3 nights on points and moved from the Regency so we could try both hotels. Given standard room which was fine but it did face the nightly live music so you may want to ask to be away from that if you like to nap or just quiet throughout the evening. The pools were nice and not overcrowded except for the hot tub which they only have one of.

They did reach out in advance and asked us a few preference questions which was a great start but then they failed to bring the extra pillows to the room and we had to call down to request it. Not a big deal but donít ask and say you will do it and then donít. The Regency asked the same questions and they delivered on what they said they would do with a few additional pillows. We also had issues with their new texting service where you just text requests instead of calling down. We requested housekeeping when we would leave and sometimes it would takes hours for them just to respond and acknowledge the text message. Again not a big deal but why offer something to guests if it doesnít work well?

Our main issues were with F&B. The first day for breakfast we sat down and had some eggs before returning for the pancakes and waffles which are great! When we came back, our table had been cleared of our drinks and turned over for a new guest. I have never seen this at a breakfast buffet so there must have been bad communications between the staff. We rolled with it and just asked that they bring us new drinks. About 10-12 minutes later we received a coffee and a coke. Not sure what took so long but we were done eating when they finally came. Next was room service that night. Ordered pretty simple dishes (cheeseburger and flatbread pizza) and they came wrong. It took almost 40 minutes to get the correct order sent back which seemed long for a mistaken order. Finally, we went to breakfast the next day and they had closed early for motherís day without any notice to the guests. I checked the daily activities sheet and no mention was made for that day. A simple note or voicemail to the room would have been ample notice the night before but that did not happen. What was the managers suggestion in the restaurant? Stick around for the Motherís Day brunch and pay the difference! Are you kidding me? They made the mistake by not notifying guests properly and now they want to up sell me for the mistake? Just poor effort by the F&B management for not understanding the situation and making it worse with the upsell tactic.

We did let the front desk staff know and Michelle was able to work with us to correct the situation. We ended up receiving all of our points back for the stay which was a fair resolution to me. At this point, I would have left a review saying they made some mistakes but at least the front desk management tried to make it right but I noticed an additional charge today on my credit card statement for $160! I emailed the VIP staff and asked that they look into it but I already knew it was a F&B charge for another guest that stayed in the same room after us and sure enough it was. I had to spend more of my time today dealing with this hotelís lack of competence.

The hotel looks very upscale but in our experience, the staff are really lagging behind and are just careless for letting these types of mistakes from happening. I am not sure I would return to this property which is a real shame as they have a nice reef with turtles right out front which was awesome! If the service can improve and the little mistakes occurring every few hours can be tamed, this would be a fantastic property. That was our experience and I am sure YMWV but hopefully this helps others if they experience the same issues.
MNHunter likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: