FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

slippahs Oct 13, 2013 11:33 pm

Any experiences with requesting a 4 p.m. check out at this property?

m0hamed Oct 14, 2013 3:14 am

Originally Posted by slippahs (Post 21603386)
Any experiences with requesting a 4 p.m. check out at this property?

No issue.

mrredskin Oct 15, 2013 6:28 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 21396443)
there's a big difference between ocean front property and inland property.

-David

would my vehicle get an ocean-front view, as well? if so, then maybe it's worth it.

Ancien Maestro Oct 15, 2013 7:23 am

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 21609878)
would my vehicle get an ocean-front view, as well? if so, then maybe it's worth it.

Parking lots are behind the building.. but if you catch a corner, maybe perhaps a glimpse?@;)

mrredskin Oct 15, 2013 7:30 am

so for anyone that has stayed here and the Kea Lani or even at the GH in Kauai, how would you compare the two? We loved both properties but won'd do Kea Lani again since we used certs there and I'm diamond with Hyatt now. Leaning towards Maui again since we didn't do Road to Hana or Haleakala.

if snorkeling and beach are that good here then that might be the decider.

Ancien Maestro Oct 15, 2013 7:35 am

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 21610153)
so for anyone that has stayed here and the Kea Lani or even at the GH in Kauai, how would you compare the two? We loved both properties but won'd do Kea Lani again since we used certs there and I'm diamond with Hyatt now. Leaning towards Maui again since we didn't do Road to Hana or Haleakala.

I've stayed at both. I'm FPC Platinum and Hyatt Diamond.

I would prefer GH Kauai over Kea Lani, although Kea Lani resides on a better location. In the summer GH Kauai has fantastic weather at south point, but the beach is too rough for the kiddies to use. Having said that GH Kauai has that nice man made lagoon with the large sand grains, but perfect safety for the kids. Plus summer doesn't have rain, and it was perfect. I believe it rains quite a bit down in south point GHK, so check the weather. Lots more to do on Maui, and Wailea is the perfect place to vacation. Can't go wrong with either.

This being the Andaz thread, lots of perks for Diamonds. I wouldn't hesitate to give Andaz Maui a try. I walked the grounds prior to opening. Its more cozy, but a great place to vacation.

tjbrooks Oct 15, 2013 4:19 pm

If you're comparing Maui vs. Kauai you can't go wrong either way. Haven't stayed at the Andaz (soon) but have at the Kea Lani and Kauai Hyatt. Try Kauai if you haven't yet. If you're going in the winter, the Hyatt in the south is in the best spot. During the summer though, the north is much nicer. It's about an hour drive without traffic.

If snorkeling is important than you can't do much better than Wailea. Three separate spots within walking distance of the Andaz, plus the Makena spots a very short drive away.
As far as Kauai, Lawai is very nice near the Hyatt (short drive) but very, very small. Snorkeling is much better up north, but usually only in the summer when conditions allow it.

calflygirl Oct 15, 2013 5:13 pm

I'm looking for opinions ... and I know there are lots on FT;-)

I'm going to the Andaz Maui over a long MLK weekend in January. I booked a standard, gardenview with points and a 2 night cert. I also agreed to pay $75/night for an upgrade to a standard room with an oceanview. I'm debating over whether I should pay the extra 11,000 points/night for a suite upgrade.

I will likely be on my Diamond challenge at the time, but the hotel staff person said that a lot of Diamonds are booking so free upgrades are iffy. I'm also kind of hoping that if I book a suite the first 3 nights, the hotel will just let me stay in it for the last 2 nights rather than move me (fingers crossed).

What do you think? Worth the points upgrade for a suite?

As an aside, is the cheapest way to pay for Hyatt incidentals through buying gift cards at a discount (e.g. Milepoint premium membership for 10% off Hyatt GCs)?

Thanks for the help

peteropny Oct 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by calflygirl (Post 21613459)
I'm looking for opinions ... and I know there are lots on FT;-)

I'm going to the Andaz Maui over a long MLK weekend in January. I booked a standard, gardenview with points and a 2 night cert. I also agreed to pay $75/night for an upgrade to a standard room with an oceanview. I'm debating over whether I should pay the extra 11,000 points/night for a suite upgrade.

I will likely be on my Diamond challenge at the time, but the hotel staff person said that a lot of Diamonds are booking so free upgrades are iffy. I'm also kind of hoping that if I book a suite the first 3 nights, the hotel will just let me stay in it for the last 2 nights rather than move me (fingers crossed).

What do you think? Worth the points upgrade for a suite?

As an aside, is the cheapest way to pay for Hyatt incidentals through buying gift cards at a discount (e.g. Milepoint premium membership for 10% off Hyatt GCs)?

Thanks for the help

Im a little confused by your question. How many nights are you staying and how are you paying for it (sounds like points and a 2 night stay cert?). If so, you already upgraded the only way possible - paying cash. You cant upgrade using points - you can book a suite (if available) for 33,000 points a night with a 3 night minimum. Also, stays paid for with points / stay certs will not generate a stay / night credit.

Yes, the Milepoint discount on $ hyatt gc is the best that i know of currently.

calflygirl Oct 15, 2013 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 21613782)
Im a little confused by your question. How many nights are you staying and how are you paying for it (sounds like points and a 2 night stay cert?). If so, you already upgraded the only way possible - paying cash. You cant upgrade using points - you can book a suite (if available) for 33,000 points a night with a 3 night minimum. Also, stays paid for with points / stay certs will not generate a stay / night credit.

Yes, the Milepoint discount on $ hyatt gc is the best that i know of currently.

Sorry for the confusion. My first three nights are just with points (22,000) and the last 2 are with a 2 night cert. I'm contemplating booking the suite the first 3 nights for 33,000/night instead of the 22,000 plus $75/night I currently have for the standard view w/ ocean view.

Ancien Maestro Oct 15, 2013 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by calflygirl (Post 21613878)
Sorry for the confusion. My first three nights are just with points (22,000) and the last 2 are with a 2 night cert. I'm contemplating booking the suite the first 3 nights for 33,000/night instead of the 22,000 plus $75/night I currently have for the standard view w/ ocean view.

Regarding the Diamond Challenge, YMMV whether you will receive stay credit towards GP, or the Diamond Challenge when redeeming free nights. That very well could mean none of your Andaz Maui 5 night stay will count.

If you're on the Diamond Challenge, that means on check-in you shall be entitled to the best room available upon check-in (excluding suites). So if you get your $75 e upgrade, that means you'll likely get the same room complimentary from the hotel for your entire stay.

99,000 points are a lot of points to spend in a suite for 3 nights. You'll have to balance in your mind if that extra 33,000 points is worth upgrading your room to a suite. Its a matter of taste and opinion.

Myself, I would pay the lowest promotional rate and apply a Diamond Suite Upgrade since you'll be on your challenge, and save the extra points for another stay. Its only 6,000 points to upgrade from hyatt daily rate to a suite for up to 4 nights, so for me that extra 33,000 points is like 5 and a half suite upgrades (comparatively speaking, half suite upgrades are not possible).. almost like up to 22 nights in a suite at the hyatt daily rate. A bit expensive points wise for my taste personally.

jayer Oct 15, 2013 9:17 pm

Really depends what you want your trip to be, and to some extent if you are taking along kids.

Everything at Andaz Maui is newer, smaller, and Andaz quirky. Grand Kauai is a far larger footprint, bigger rooms, and more traditional ocean resort. Not dated so much as just not new. In my opinion the salt water lagoon pool beats the combined adult pools at the Andaz.

Kauai is in my opinion quieter and more relaxing, and perhaps more scenic other than the Road to Hana. If that sounds awful to you Maui does have more things to do.

Maui Andaz has a sand bottom water-entry beach. Grand Kauai is on a scenic beach you normally can't swim at. Maui has close snorkeling and multiple-choice rally good snorkeling nearby.

As a Diamond you would get the "breakfast experience" at the Andaz. As a Diamond, you would get the club at Kauai. The offerings may not be what they once were, but in most any other way it's one of the very best hotel clubs in North America.

You really should avail yourself of all the master threads and see if they speak to you.

sam_goh Oct 15, 2013 9:18 pm

@AM - It's going to depend how you're obtaining your UR.

A great promotional rate that I've seen is about $319 a night + taxes. 3 nights is going to set you back at least $1K. Even the most expensive manufacture with $200 GCs at an office supply store, 100K UR will cost you about $695. Value proposition only increases if you're looking at peak times.

It's quite a different situation even if you're flush with cash.

Ancien Maestro Oct 16, 2013 9:45 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 21614597)
@AM - It's going to depend how you're obtaining your UR.

A great promotional rate that I've seen is about $319 a night + taxes. 3 nights is going to set you back at least $1K. Even the most expensive manufacture with $200 GCs at an office supply store, 100K UR will cost you about $695. Value proposition only increases if you're looking at peak times.

It's quite a different situation even if you're flush with cash.

You're saying you can purchase 100K GP points for $695? That would change the scope of what we're talking about here. I'm assuming when you say UR, you mean GP points..

suite2suite Oct 16, 2013 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 21614160)
Regarding the Diamond Challenge, YMMV whether you will receive stay credit towards GP, or the Diamond Challenge when redeeming free nights. That very well could mean none of your Andaz Maui 5 night stay will count.

If you're on the Diamond Challenge, that means on check-in you shall be entitled to the best room available upon check-in (excluding suites). So if you get your $75 e upgrade, that means you'll likely get the same room complimentary from the hotel for your entire stay.

99,000 points are a lot of points to spend in a suite for 3 nights. You'll have to balance in your mind if that extra 33,000 points is worth upgrading your room to a suite. Its a matter of taste and opinion.

Myself, I would pay the lowest promotional rate and apply a Diamond Suite Upgrade since you'll be on your challenge, and save the extra points for another stay. Its only 6,000 points to upgrade from hyatt daily rate to a suite for up to 4 nights, so for me that extra 33,000 points is like 5 and a half suite upgrades (comparatively speaking, half suite upgrades are not possible).. almost like up to 22 nights in a suite at the hyatt daily rate. A bit expensive points wise for my taste personally.

You cannot use the 6,000 points Suite Upgrade on the lowest promotional rate.
It has to be on a non-discounted daily rate also known as rack rate.
Just wanted to make it clear.
However it can be the lowest category room.