FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

NLaumann Jul 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 28571713)
I couldn't stop laughing... I'm looking forward to your 3rd post in a few years ;):p.

LOL this is my third post because I shy away from public forums. But felt I should at least thank the kind people here for helping me over the years. :)

ZBigFam Jul 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by NLaumann (Post 28571738)
LOL this is my third post because I shy away from public forums. But felt I should at least thank the kind people here for helping me over the years. :)

Thanks for the review. Ignore RTW1 he is as gentle as a Rhino with a chainsaw.

RTW1 Jul 17, 2017 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by NLaumann (Post 28571738)

Why be shy, FT needs content.....

But I found your review to be a bit over the top, "lifelong friends" in hotel employees you see once a year when staying there?

NLaumann Jul 18, 2017 7:41 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 28571908)
Thanks for the review. Ignore RTW1 he is as gentle as a Rhino with a chainsaw.

Ha Ha you are very welcome! It's all good.

NLaumann Jul 18, 2017 7:59 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 28573774)

But I found your review to be a bit over the top, "lifelong friends" in hotel employees you see once a year when staying there?

Try not to be so skeptical. I was raised in the deep south, New Orleans. We tend to be a very open and a friendly bunch. When I said "lifelong friends" I was not exaggerating. We will be hanging out with a staff member and friend this week before we go and have invited him to visit us back home. Sometimes you just connect with people. We also had a close member of the family pass while on vacation and the manager sent flowers to the room. Many members of the staff gave us their condolences which meant a lot to us.

I wouldn't have gone into such personal detail, but you keep bringing it up. Anyway I'll try to contribute more often when I have any new information to share.

canyonleo Jul 18, 2017 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries (Post 28566311)
They might, but not something you can count on. Elite recognition is not the strongest feature of this place. For example, in several years as a Diamond/Glob, this is the only place I have had trouble (twice) getting a late checkout.

Do you have any suite upgrades? This is a good place to use them, if you do.

Welcome to FT ^

I have the opposite experience. I have always been upgraded, and each time more or less to the room of my choice - that means I've discussed my wing and floor and view preferences, and have moved around to get exactly what I've wanted. The staff is great for Diamonds/Globs IMO.

Also, I find using a suite upgrade (TSO/DSO) to often mean one is getting a pool suite, and those suck - bottom floor with no view. If using one of those I would be calling the property a couple times in the days before arrival and discussing the room block and if what I describe is not one's preference then ask for a downgrade (hopefully to a view type of one's choice - I would guess it's very, very unlikely one would be downgraded all the way back to loading dock (Garden) view).

Biggie Fries Jul 18, 2017 10:46 am

Can't argue with your experience -- I've only been out there a couple of times. Also, my experience wasn't bad, just spotty.

And then, variety really is the spice of life: Like NLaumann, we really liked getting the pool suite. Back in O`ahu, we're high up the valley, with a great view -- but no pool!

stvr Jul 18, 2017 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 28573774)

Why not let people play a little casual soccer without pulling out the red card all the time?

blitzkriegs Jul 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 28559185)
Yes, for six nights. And that's the problem, isn't it? That limits points usage while appearing to participate in WOH. How many people visiting Hawaii want to spend 5 or more nights at one hotel? Most like to spend 2-3 days each visiting various islands.

Some people go there to relax and not hop. Also, people pay to stay there too. My best stays here have been on Amex FHR vs using points...plenty of other places in the world to use points.

josephstern Jul 18, 2017 5:11 pm

I definitely see the desire to island hop, but for those of us who have been there plenty of times and take other trips to other islands, crashing at one hotel for a while is quite relaxing.

rabido Jul 23, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi-
I'm a Globalist for what it's worth these days, just booked the Garden Queen rate for 6 nights in October.
Any one here have any experience on likelihood of getting an upgraded room - or is it tied to occupancy?
Last time I was here we had 2 room reservations and they upgraded us to a villa instead..not expecting that again...

canyonleo Jul 24, 2017 10:59 am

Upgrades are always tied to occupancy... That said, as a Glob, I would think (based on my many visits' experience) your odds of getting at worst a Partial View are very, very high.

Getting upgraded to a villa... ever... WOW!

gumercindo Aug 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Wow this is a huge thread! After reading some of it, I've come to the conclusion that in this category, it's Fairmont, Andaz and FS. For a family of 5, and booking through a virtuoso, which is the generally accepted vote getter? Going for 7N in July.

Secondly, I'm sitting a bunch of UR so my other option would be to transfer over UR to Hyatt to do a points stay. For points stay, I'd also consider the Marriott Wailea Resort as well since I have Marriott points (and Gold).

So, either 1) book a simple room with points and pray/hope for an upgrade (no status and I'm taking 3 kids) at Hyatt, or 2) use a virtuoso TA, pay cash for the room and (more than likely) get an upgraded room at one of the previously mentioned 3 properties.

canyonleo Aug 28, 2017 1:06 pm

First, the choice depends on your preferences and what you're looking for - you haven't given enough information.

Small feel hotel like Andaz or large hotel with hundreds of rooms?
Super close and small beach access, or more of a pool person?
Kids age?
Activities preference (care about reefs, need kids diversions)?
Using a car to go all over Maui or neighborhood, or more a never leave the compound type? ..especially if one is going out to hit restaurants and town.

Then, as for Marriott, it's not in the class of those three... especially if there's still noisy construction going on at all hours.

Last, if your using money (vs. points), VRBO has some great options (again, depending on your style/preferences).

sam_goh Aug 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Andaz regular rooms aren't that big, disregarding that max occupancy is 4. Fairmont is a better choice as an all suite property.