Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:09 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HawaiiTraveler1
I attended the grand opening of the Andaz in Wailea and they had a DJ and live drummer playing by the fire pit. I went last week and there was a guy playing guitar by the bar?? meh
The DJ station is having 'issues.' I actually hope it means they listened to guest feedback and noone wanted a DJ every evening.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:52 am

music

Originally Posted by m0hamed
The DJ station is having 'issues.' I actually hope it means they listened to guest feedback and noone wanted a DJ every evening.
Most of us do want a DJ playing music every night
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:55 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Read upthread. The numbers aren't in your favour. Oh, and welcome to FT.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 1:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Read upthread. The numbers aren't in your favour. Oh, and welcome to FT.
Exactly.... I would have nothing against any music playing as long as it wouldn't bother me when staying in my room or even sitting on my balcony. I actually prefer to hear the ocean when I'm in Hawaii..... I don't need the constant entertainment/noise that others seem to crave. When I want music there's always an iPod or plenty of clubs.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by RTW1
Exactly.... I would have nothing against any music playing as long as it wouldn't bother me when staying in my room or even sitting on my balcony. I actually prefer to hear the ocean when I'm in Hawaii..... I don't need the constant entertainment/noise that others seem to crave. When I want music there's always an iPod or plenty of clubs.
Sorry folks, but you clearly do not get the vibe.

This is an Andaz we are talking about, a hip place meant to cater to Millennials/Gen. Y customers like HawaiiTraveler1.

Please stay elsewhere in the future.

I hate to pass around your crutches and walkers by the pool every time I am going to the bar to order an $ 18 cocktail made from organic knotweed sourced locally.

BTW, does anyone know whether or not the DJ Station is made from recycled material. I can only hope it is, otherwise my faith in the brand would be lost forever...
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Damn.... just as I can afford to stay at an Andaz you are telling me I'm too old to be hip .

But really.... for the Andaz San Diego I get it. But for Hawaii.... just go clubbing in Honolulu.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Damn.... just as I can afford to stay at an Andaz you are telling me I'm too old to be hip .
You may be too old to be hip, but are you hip to be square? It seems like a lot of what the Andaz about is what I call 'form'. They choose form over function, in everything from sinks, to furniture, and to music selection. As long as they listen and adapt over time, this will work itself out. However, if they ever seem to stop listening to feedback and start pushing the Andaz way over the customer experience,then it will be trouble. That was a big reason I still have GHK chosen as my Hawaii vacation, and not the 'Daz.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Agreed. I would be at the front desk after the first night. I don't go to Hawaii to listen to a DJ.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I don't go to Hawaii to listen to a DJ.
Nor does anyone. What a stupid statement. I find it rediculous that some people won't come here because they may or may not have a DJ playing music by the pool.

For the few that have written detailed reviews, thank you. For the rest of you that have nothing better to do than nitpick over hypotheticals, please go somewhere else.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by salvag
I agree with everything you said. The amount of nitpicking in this thread is comical. Whaaaaaaa the music is too loud and the chairs hurt my butt. Whaaaaaa I can't rinse my bathing suit and the fruit..... DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE FRUIT!! The hotel has been open for a week and this is what people are complaining about? I'd say that is a pretty good opening if this is the worst people have to say. You expect this place to be 100% perfect on day 1? I don't think any hotel could manage that. This is why I booked in November. Everything will be perfected by then. Honestly though, get real people.
Past performance of OTHER Andaz properties is certainly no guarantee of future results of THIS Andaz. Pessimistic much?
Nor does anyone. What a stupid statement. I find it rediculous that some people won't come here because they may or may not have a DJ playing music by the pool.
For the few that have written detailed reviews, thank you. For the rest of you that have nothing better to do than nitpick over hypotheticals, please go somewhere else.
Just wow!

Are you working for the ´daz? @:-)

Well, to tell you the truth. Many people with lots of experience have left the Hyatt forum in recent years and the brain drain was massive. Some of the old guys like Mary are still around and provide very good comments, which are highly appreciated.

After just 20 posts, you probably simply do not know that Hyatt does not really have a good track record for their high end properties in the US. They destroyed the Park Hatt brand with mediocre properties like LA or New York not to mention Philly, they never established any brand reputation for Andaz and their track record in Hawaii is also spotty at best.

Wailea or Waikoloa, anyone? Or maybe, a standard room at the Regency Maui?

Some people provided brilliant feedback in this thread and if I work for the Andaz, I would be on the phone with HQ constantly. It seems to me that yet another high end property will not really hit it off…judging from perspectives re. yields and target groups. Maybe, it is too early to tell, but the signs are there.

And for $ 500 a night, I can get high quality treatment at numerous hotels next door
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:29 am

If this hotel really is targeting Millennials and GenYs, then good luck to that. Most people I know in those categories either 1) don't go to Hawaii for leisure and/or 2) because of the economy don't have the money to spend at a place like the Andaz.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:32 am

Ridiculous or not, if there was a DJ playing all day near enough to my room for me to hear it, I would complain, and if I couldn't be moved to a better/quieter room, I would find somewhere else to stay.

I want to hear the ocean when I sit outdoors in Hawaii, not recorded music of any kind.

So yes, if reports come back that there's a DJ at the pool everyday that could be heard from the rooms, I would stay elsewhere.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
If this hotel really is targeting Millennials and GenYs, then good luck to that. Most people I know in those categories either 1) don't go to Hawaii for leisure and/or 2) because of the economy don't have the money to spend at a place like the Andaz.
I thought the exact same thing. The price is just too high for that demographic, even in the economy I was in at that age

I told the rooms manager at the HR Waikiki that decorating for the Millennials and GenYs isn't going to pay off. There are more of us right now than of them, and we have money to spend
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Ill give the DJ, or the pool music that Andaz puts out a shot. I'm going to be open minded prior to staying there. I didn't hear any music when doing our tour prior to opening. But there was an upbeat atmosphere, those who were there, and the employees celebrating at Ka'ana.

I'm 38 years and a Gen Xer..
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Not me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.