FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

Mary2e Nov 6, 15 10:18 am

LOL.. they're doing the opposite - limiting awards and charging high rates. You'd do well reading back several pages of this thread.

josephstern Nov 6, 15 10:25 am

Maybe you're thinking of the Hyatt residences up north?

emkay Nov 9, 15 4:39 am

just to double-check, on an award stay i will not pay the $40 a day resort fee but will pay the $30 a night valet parking fee?

zzrayzz Nov 9, 15 9:59 am

Originally Posted by emkay (Post 25684517)
just to double-check, on an award stay i will not pay the $40 a day resort fee but will pay the $30 a night valet parking fee?

yes, that is correct

bhrubin Nov 15, 15 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Goonie (Post 25489682)
We stayed at the 4 seasons and the Ritz on Maui... we prefer the Andaz over both of those resorts.

Can you elaborate on why you prefer the Andaz over the FS and RC (now Montage)? Did you stay at those on the same trip or on previous trips? If previous, how long ago? Thanks!

I am booked for Thanksgiving 2016 at the Andaz for the Maui Invitational Basketball Tournament. The Montage Kapalua is closer to Lahaina, and we loved the Kapalua area and bay/beach on a stay at a property there that no longer exists. But can't book the Montage this far out. We are fans of FS, but have had mixed experiences in Hawaii at Hualalai and Manele Bay. Any details you can provide as to what you liked better about the Andaz will be greatly appreciated!

DjRashonal Nov 15, 15 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Kyoo (Post 25673131)
Is this hotel still doing the cheap rate offers to get people to come visit it? I missed out on it the last couple of years.. but I'm ready to go next summer! If not this hotel, how about any of the other Hyatt's in Hawaii? I finally hit Diamond, and I want to make the most of it.

I've stayed at all of the Hyatts in hawaii and I think my favorite all around property is the GH Kauai. The ones on Oahu are "meh," Maui is alright, but the Andaz has been pretty disappointing. Beautiful, but disappointing. No Hyatts on BI, Moloka'i or Lana'i.

RedTeam10 Nov 15, 15 10:10 am

Anyone know if they systematically add more inventory at a certain day of the week or time? I have been sporadically checking availability and I have seen some additional availability open up, but not for my dates. My trip is 3 weeks out. Up to two weeks out there is award availability.

josephstern Nov 15, 15 10:11 am

Checking out of the Andaz Maui today. Really liking it on a lot of fronts. Most of all, just nice design and great staff attitude. It's not fawning or obsequious, and there are no chandeliers or grand oriental rugs. It's much more subtle, but with just functional, enjoyable, attractive design.

I haven't stayed at the FS, but have at the Ritz, Fairmont, and Grand Wailea, and there's no question that we'll return here. We were in the Fairmont and FS lobbies when having dinner there this trip, and they are both so over-the-top. It's really nice to get back here and just have that big cut in gaudiness.

Also - great restaurants (not that you can't partake of those if you don't stay here).

jpdx Nov 15, 15 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 25716367)
... with just functional, enjoyable, attractive design.

Yes, the lanai furniture is widely acclaimed as functional and enjoyable. As is the couch that's guaranteed to minimize TV watching. And the sink that leaks water all over, lack of useful counter space, suite bathroom door that keeps popping open, bathtub they must not have tried sitting in before buying ... all attractive design features that make me want to rush back.

josephstern Nov 16, 15 8:01 am

The lanai furniture serves its purpose very well: to dry wet items.

Couch is a problem? I didn't find that, and when watching a movie, we just turned the TV via the swing arm mount and watched it in bed.

Sink was fine and I didn't have a suite so I can't comment on the other issues.

I really liked the doors that fold back flush, the whole shower design (save for the lack of drain hole in the soap dish), the sensor light, etc. Bathroom all worked nicely for us.

Bed was comfortable, Wifi was good, outlets and AV everywhere, nice controls for lights and windows, etc.

Hard to have complaints (t)here.

canyonleo Nov 16, 15 9:53 am

It's a lot more than that.

- sofa is ridiculously uncomfortable (glad I don't need it)
- there's no dresser (one drawer in closet), not place to store things (other than two drawer nightstands on each side of bed)
- 1/2 inch deep sink is practically unusable (and items like spit out toothpaste don't rinse well) -- try rinsing dive stuff like camera or computer
- poorly placed outlets, one side of bed only (bring an extension cord with multiple outlets)

That said, TV swings out great for balcony football watching :)

Service is very friendly in a young/hip way, not in a 5* luxury service way... it's sufficient for me but then I don't want to be pampered, I just want service when I ask for it.

I can get past all the poor function aspects, because the property is smack on the beach (some properties - in Wailea too - practically need a shuttle bus to get from room to sand). The reef at Mokapu-Ulua is awesome, one of the best in South Maui, for big and small animals. The beaches (Mokapu and Ulua) are small and great for kids, as is the property kid pool.

For luxury and grandiose, don't choose Andaz.

josephstern Nov 16, 15 10:32 am

Agreed - beach and reef were great. Man, that beach at the GH Kauai is so, so bad. Even worse in comparison.

We also did the outrigger/snorkel trip, which was great because our guide found some amazing things including an octopus.

dgross Nov 16, 15 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 25721715)
We also did the outrigger/snorkel trip, which was great because our guide found some amazing things including an octopus.

I take it you went out with Sage on the Maui Sailing Canoe? Its a great time.

canyonleo Nov 16, 15 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 25721715)
Agreed - beach and reef were great. Man, that beach at the GH Kauai is so, so bad. Even worse in comparison.

Those locals working for Andaz at the beach are tako-finding masters. They had a couple of freshly caught one up at the desk to pose with my one-year old. It was fun snorkeling with one as they released it back to the rocks/reef one day.

The last week between Ulua and MakenaSurf and Makena Landing reefs we've seen turtles, eels, spotted eagle ray, octopi, and a 10-13' tiger shark (not to mention all the usual fish. Just need some dolphins and a manta to complete my list :)

josephstern Nov 16, 15 10:39 pm

His name was something insanely long, but he went by Kaleo or something, and also said we could just yell "Hawaiian" if we couldn't remember his name.

The reef down in Ahihi was pretty good also.

And surfing with turtles up in Kihei was kinda fun. Very easy beginner break there - we got up without a push, which was fulfilling. $20 for a board all day.