FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

DragonMartini Jan 3, 2014 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Vuelos (Post 22078695)
Interesting, where did you find the menu? It wasn't in room...

Room service menus and some other service items are in the TV just off the welcome screen.

musikdude Jan 3, 2014 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 22077579)
Tried to do bookings for next year, and it looks like it may not be possible before the devaluation hits. GHP tells me that the hotel is completely booked from Dec 26 - Jan 2 (2015) even though Jan 2 started being available to be booked. Yet, a call to the property directly indicated that the period has yet to be loaded in the system.

Did a day to day check for revenue rates, and it stops at dec 20/21 currently. Not going to point fingers, but it's a little fishy since the HR Maui, and other top end properties (e.g. Paris, Maldives) etc already have rates loaded.

very fishy- how could it be sold out before the rates are loaded? and then every day is old once the dates past 12/21/14 were loaded= it seems pretty obvious they are not playing fair

Vuelos Jan 3, 2014 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by DragonMartini (Post 22079219)
Room service menus and some other service items are in the TV just off the welcome screen.

wow, wish I'd have known that. I just assumed they would have been loaded onto the in-room iPad...

AJLondon Jan 4, 2014 9:14 am

Originally Posted by hqly2001 (Post 22050769)
Thanks for the info. Was it up to $45 a person or continental breakfast?
I plan to have a couple of breakfast at the restaurant but with two young children, room service might be the better choice for a couple of mornings.

Up to $45 credit for each registered in-room guest. Easily allows a main course (like Hawaiian bento or the Benedict etc) as well as a cappuccino and freshly squeezed juice/smoothie.

Originally Posted by Vuelos (Post 22078695)
Interesting, where did you find the menu? It wasn't in room...

On the telly under services. I even ordered dinner and drinks off it. Take me with you next time hon, and I'll point out all the services you need. ;)

Ancien Maestro Jan 4, 2014 9:20 am

$749 rate for middle of July base room when I checked a few days ago. AAA rate is lower but didn't check. I wonder if this rate will hold up? I'm considering a switch to July but I won't pay that rate.

Jay00848 Jan 4, 2014 10:20 am

8 day stay

We are getting ready to depart after 8 days on our way back to Chicago (not looking forward to the cold)

The hotel has a great layout and the food was great. As a diamond we were not upgraded( but they were sold out during check in).

The service has not been the high level I expected some of it might be training. When I called prior to our stay I was told we could do room service instead of breakfast but when we checked in they said no. We were told at check in we needed to make breakfast reservations for the week, so we go to our room come up with our times and call back, the lady says that they are not doing reservations for breakfast anymore ( wow things change in an hour). Go down the next morning at 9 am, hostess ask do we have a reservation...umm no... She says it will be 30-40 minute wait. During breakfast we have tried to get some custom drinks made, 2 out of the 6 days the drinks took almost 30 mins to be made, they need a second worker on the bar with a second juicer/ blender. Asked to mail a package one guy said they only mail letters, but I could stop back later and get a box, come back later and the women gives me a box says we can ship that for you. The staff cleaning the room has been very poor, I had to leave a note to get them to sweep the floors, we had a table that had water spilled on it and for 3 days they never dried it up, we were leaving it to see if they would do anything, finally I cleaned it up. So the advice I can provide is ask another person if you don't like the first answer

DaveInLA Jan 4, 2014 10:24 am

I just booked 4 nights in March at Andaz Maui using points redemption. I have base "gold" status with Hyatt and transferred the points over using Chase UR points. The problem I have is that Andaz Maui only allows garden view "queen" (which is 2 beds) rooms when points are used to book, but my wife and I would like a king bed. I checked the "honeymoon couple" box when confirming the reservation, but forgot to put in comments, and now I can't modify the reservation. I'd hate to end up in an already-small room with 2 queen beds when we're only going to use 1. Anything I can do about this?

Of note, I signed up for the Diamond Trial for this trip, so hopefully I get upgraded and all this is a moot point.

Jay00848 Jan 4, 2014 10:24 am

Oh yeah forgot one thing, made a spa appointment $270 for a 90 minute massage, the person I got was so awesome I decided to do another one but only if I could get her again, find that she has one spot open last night so I go only to find that I get some one else and that person was not very good at all. Frustrating, if the just told me she wasn't available I would have been fine with not getting any more massages.

lawyertalk Jan 4, 2014 10:51 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 22082471)
I just booked 4 nights in March at Andaz Maui using points redemption. I have base "gold" status with Hyatt and transferred the points over using Chase UR points. The problem I have is that Andaz Maui only allows garden view "queen" (which is 2 beds) rooms when points are used to book, but my wife and I would like a king bed. I checked the "honeymoon couple" box when confirming the reservation, but forgot to put in comments, and now I can't modify the reservation. I'd hate to end up in an already-small room with 2 queen beds when we're only going to use 1. Anything I can do about this?

Of note, I signed up for the Diamond Trial for this trip, so hopefully I get upgraded and all this is a moot point.

Call Gold Passport. They can put the notes in for you.

l etoile Jan 4, 2014 11:13 am

I stayed in mid-December in a fifth-floor (lobby level) Andaz suite with great view (I'll look at my folio and come up with the rm number for you jpdx). I have rebooked an Andaz suite for later this month.

I'm not much of a resort person, and admit I wasn't initially taken by this one. It's very stark with nothing distinctively Hawaiian about it. It felt like a soft opening (several quirks), and there are design flaws (you should be under a covering when pulling up to the hotel to protect in event of rain), the lanai furniture is already well discussed as to its basic lack of functionality, none of the closet or bathroom doors in my suite latched, and it's pretty much impossible to sit in the bathtub without draining the water due to the drain placement. But as the nights went on, I came to mostly appreciate the tranquility and the caring management, an attitude that seemed to be filtering well down to the staff.

Breakfast was good. Once finding out I was vegetarian, a chef came out and said he would make me whatever I wanted. I found more than sufficient foods from what were already offered though. The extra $15 for unlimited mimosas was removed from my bill (diamond member). No idea if this will remain, but I would only use it expecting to pay it. The same restaurant also provided some good veg entrees that I was quite satisfied with. I felt they held up to or surpassed what I get at Hailiimaile or Merriman's. (Guests I met who are not vegetarians told me they preferred it to Morimoto's, FWIW.)

I also had the mosquito problem. I found the room too cool and called engineering. It was explained rooms can't be heated and default is 70F. I was told to open the lanai door if I wanted it warmer. I did that and had about 40 mosquitoes within 30 minutes since there were no screens. Thank goodness those mosquitoes move slowly so as to be killed quickly. Since there's no heating I suggested the hotel use a default of 73F, which would save cooling costs and still allow guests to turn down the temp if they find it too warm.

Quick round up of what you should receive since it's a bit scattered in the thread (hope I didn't miss anything):

-- lei (these were more unusual and attractive than I usually receive, with little blue and lavender flowers)
-- Beach bag with sandals
-- Refillable water bottles
-- Mini iPad in room with some menus (spa and restaurant) on it, sound player and general browsing capabilities
-- Chocolate bar as parting gift on check out.
-- Shuttle service in general area

I chose the champagne for the amenity. Retail on the bottle was $80; in restaurant was $155. Nice amenity. Skip the hummus amenity - very small portion with even smaller serving of crackers (about four). I hear the macaroons are a good choice.

Go to the manager's reception. Exceptionally friendly and attentive management team. Worth meeting them and sharing spiked punch. Managers were very approachable and delightful. Can't say enough good about GM and rooms manager.

The beach here is great - best I've seen at a hotel in Maui. The pool/beach staff and the breakfast staff were exceptionally friendly and attentive.

This hotel has great potential, especially if looking to escape the resorts that cater primarily to families. There are just a few quirks, but I loved the tranquility and look forward to returning in a couple of weeks.

Jay00848 Jan 4, 2014 11:34 am

Update to spa appointment, ast. Spa manager apologized for the mix up last night with appointment an offered a free massage tomorrow or a credit for last night. More than generous, by the way Jessica is the massage therapist who is amazing.

soonerfanatic Jan 4, 2014 11:43 am

Don't forget the slippers!

Originally Posted by l'etoile (Post 22082738)
I stayed in mid-December in a fifth-floor (lobby level) Andaz suite with great view (I'll look at my folio and come up with the rm number for you jpdx). I have rebooked an Andaz suite for later this month.

I'm not much of a resort person, and admit I wasn't initially taken by this one. It's very stark with nothing distinctively Hawaiian about it. It felt like a soft opening (several quirks), and there are design flaws (you should be under a covering when pulling up to the hotel to protect in event of rain), the lanai furniture is already well discussed as to its basic lack of functionality, none of the closet or bathroom doors in my suite latched, and it's pretty much impossible to sit in the bathtub without draining the water due to the drain placement. But as the nights went on, I came to mostly appreciate the tranquility and the caring management, an attitude that seemed to be filtering well down to the staff.

Breakfast was good. Once finding out I was vegetarian, a chef came out and said he would make me whatever I wanted. I found more than sufficient foods from what were already offered though. The extra $15 for unlimited mimosas was removed from my bill (diamond member). No idea if this will remain, but I would only use it expecting to pay it. The same restaurant also provided some good veg entrees that I was quite satisfied with. I felt they held up to or surpassed what I get at Hailiimaile or Merriman's. (Guests I met who are not vegetarians told me they preferred it to Morimoto's, FWIW.)

I also had the mosquito problem. I found the room too cool and called engineering. It was explained rooms can't be heated and default is 70F. I was told to open the lanai door if I wanted it warmer. I did that and had about 40 mosquitoes within 30 minutes since there were no screens. Thank goodness those mosquitoes move slowly so as to be killed quickly. Since there's no heating I suggested the hotel use a default of 73F, which would save cooling costs and still allow guests to turn down the temp if they find it too warm.

Quick round up of what you should receive since it's a bit scattered in the thread (hope I didn't miss anything):

-- lei (these were more unusual and attractive than I usually receive, with little blue and lavender flowers)
-- Beach bag with sandals
-- Refillable water bottles
-- Mini iPad in room with some menus (spa and restaurant) on it, sound player and general browsing capabilities
-- Chocolate bar as parting gift on check out.
-- Shuttle service in general area

I chose the champagne for the amenity. Retail on the bottle was $80; in restaurant was $155. Nice amenity. Skip the hummus amenity - very small portion with even smaller serving of crackers (about four). I hear the macaroons are a good choice.

Go to the manager's reception. Exceptionally friendly and attentive management team. Worth meeting them and sharing spiked punch. Managers were very approachable and delightful. Can't say enough good about GM and rooms manager.

The beach here is great - best I've seen at a hotel in Maui. The pool/beach staff and the breakfast staff were exceptionally friendly and attentive.

This hotel has great potential, especially if looking to escape the resorts that cater primarily to families. There are just a few quirks, but I loved the tranquility and look forward to returning in a couple of weeks.

AJLondon Jan 4, 2014 11:49 am

I hear the macaroons are a good choice.

You have some good sources. ;)

Can't say enough good about GM and rooms manager.

Ditto! I interacted with both these gentleman as well, and they were truly outstanding in their hospitality, attitude and demeanor towards guest service.

l etoile Jan 4, 2014 11:52 am

Originally Posted by soonerfanatic (Post 22082923)
Don't forget the slippers!

:-) I didn't, but I called them sandals.

Originally Posted by AJLondon (Post 22082955)
You have some good sources. ;)

True that! ;-)

Ancien Maestro Jan 4, 2014 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jay00848 (Post 22082876)
Update to spa appointment, ast. Spa manager apologized for the mix up last night with appointment an offered a free massage tomorrow or a credit for last night. More than generous, by the way Jessica is the massage therapist who is amazing.

Excellent customer service reported. I'm glad to hear that you were taken care of which reflects well amongst elite HGP Members. Enjoy your third massage.:)

pointspinnacle Jan 4, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi everyone! Finally completed my review of the property. We stayed for 5 nights during Thanksgiving week! I have TONS of pictures and got a tour of the VILLAS which are AMAZING!!!

heres a quick peek at the living area of one of the villas! The link for the full review is below!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...1/DSC03522.jpg

http://pointspinnacle.com/trip-report-maui-part-2/

Vuelos Jan 4, 2014 10:45 pm

===

Nice to hear about the Champagne. I didn't realize that was an option, was only mentioned that they had the food ones...

As for the hotel, totally agree. It has some real quirks but great potential.

To add, had a bit of an issue with my bill. I settled it up at check out and then a few days later had another ~ $150 added... no one mentioned why/how so I contacted. Took over a week, multiple emails and finally a call to Robin who fixed everything.

hqly2001 Jan 5, 2014 12:47 pm

If i arrive at 10 am, any chance i can get breakfast for that morning in lieu of breakfast on my last day? I fly out at 7am and doubt i'll want to eat at 5 am. Im diamond btw.

suite2suite Jan 5, 2014 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by hqly2001 (Post 22089494)
If i arrive at 10 am, any chance i can get breakfast for that morning in lieu of breakfast on my last day? I fly out at 7am and doubt i'll want to eat at 5 am. Im diamond btw.

You might want to pay for the breakfast and the morning of your departure ask if they'll comp it in lieu of the breakfast on your last day.

m0hamed Jan 5, 2014 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by hqly2001 (Post 22089494)

Cross posting in several threads is not allowed.

I have never received breakfast on day of check in, unless you prebook the night before. Do you expect a room that early here and all of the other properties you have asked about?

flyinghigh2011 Jan 6, 2014 10:16 am

For someone going on their honeymoon next week should they request even or odd in maki building?? I know one side will have the sunset but overall which has the nicer views??

oc2005 Jan 6, 2014 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 22077579)
Tried to do bookings for next year, and it looks like it may not be possible before the devaluation hits. GHP tells me that the hotel is completely booked from Dec 26 - Jan 2 (2015) even though Jan 2 started being available to be booked. Yet, a call to the property directly indicated that the period has yet to be loaded in the system.

Did a day to day check for revenue rates, and it stops at dec 20/21 currently. Not going to point fingers, but it's a little fishy since the HR Maui, and other top end properties (e.g. Paris, Maldives) etc already have rates loaded.

There is definitely something odd going on here.

I just noticed that rooms are now available at the Andaz Maui starting 1/5/2015, but still showing as sold out/not available from 12/21/2014 - 1/5/2015. And the Diamond line still said it shows up that same way in their system too when I called them.

So I called the hotel directly saying I'd like to book a room around Christmas and asking if the hotel is sold out. The person who answered the phone said the hotel is not sold out, but that rates have not been loaded yet. They said they were told they would be loaded later this week or next week.

oc2005 Jan 6, 2014 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by flyinghigh2011 (Post 22095692)
For someone going on their honeymoon next week should they request even or odd in maki building?? I know one side will have the sunset but overall which has the nicer views??

Here is our view from room 738 in case that helps you decide. I would guess the views from the odd rooms might be slightly better if you're on a high enough floor, but you'll get more noise from the pools and lose some privacy. We loved this room and would be thrilled to get it again next year.

View sitting on the edge of the bed in the bedroom looking out the bedroom lanai:
http://i39.tinypic.com/28a17dg.jpg

View looking out at the living room lanai:
http://i44.tinypic.com/x0y29t.jpg

View standing on the living room lanai, facing straight ahead:
http://i40.tinypic.com/25fohf5.jpg

musikdude Jan 6, 2014 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by oc2005 (Post 22096799)
There is definitely something odd going on here.

I just noticed that rooms are now available at the Andaz Maui starting 1/5/2015, but still showing as sold out/not available from 12/21/2014 - 1/5/2015. And the Diamond line still said it shows up that same way in their system too when I called them.

So I called the hotel directly saying I'd like to book a room around Christmas and asking if the hotel is sold out. The person who answered the phone said the hotel is not sold out, but that rates have not been loaded yet. They said they were told they would be loaded later this week or next week.

How is that allowed??? Very unfair!!!

oc2005 Jan 6, 2014 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by musikdude (Post 22097198)
How is that allowed??? Very unfair!!!

Yeah, pretty sketchy!

I called back the Diamond line again and this time they called the hotel directly for me to see what is going on here and see if there was any way I could book a room during that time (either points or paid). The hotel's explanation was they are scheduling several events (weddings) over that time period and they aren't going to release rooms until they sort that out and figure out how many rooms each event needs. They said they should have it sorted out in 2 weeks so rooms should be available then.

But right now you can not book rooms during that time period at all. You couldn't even do a Diamond room guarantee since literally no inventory has been loaded yet. And that means any point redemptions during that time will be at the higher point level.

I guess there is no rule that individual hotels need to release rooms 365 days out, but this opens up a pretty questionable can of worms if hotels can opt out of things they don't want to do just by temporarily not releasing rooms!

DaveInLA Jan 6, 2014 4:02 pm

I don't believe their explanation. I looked into booking Hyatt in Times Square for New Year's eve, and ran into the same problem. Can book before the holidays and after, but not during.

Ancien Maestro Jan 6, 2014 4:06 pm

Seems a bit hit and miss as I just booked an extended Christmas Break stay in Orlando. All Orlando hotels showed availability. So perhaps its the algorithms.

Did you guys try to book say a three week stay. Once confirmed, I would call in HGP, pare back the reservation to the dates desired. Often on extended stays, there are great rates. So I would ask HGP to call the hotel and ask permission to keep rates booked.

flyinghigh2011 Jan 6, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks so much!!! Lovely pics!!
So you reckon the odd rooms have slightly better views?

Originally Posted by oc2005 (Post 22096942)
Here is our view from room 738 in case that helps you decide. I would guess the views from the odd rooms might be slightly better if you're on a high enough floor, but you'll get more noise from the pools and lose some privacy. We loved this room and would be thrilled to get it again next year.

oc2005 Jan 6, 2014 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by flyinghigh2011 (Post 22098610)
Thanks so much!!! Lovely pics!!
So you reckon the odd rooms have slightly better views?

No problem!

I'm just guessing based on what I saw from our room, but based on the angles of the rooms, I would think the odd rooms should have more ocean in their views than the even rooms (but would also likely be noisier). You can get a sense of that from this google map; look at the room angles at this resolution of the tower coming out toward the water, then zoom out a bit to see where the ocean is:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Andaz...96753&t=h&z=19

In this map, the even rooms are on the top of the wing, the odd on the bottom, and based on the angle of the room, odd rooms seem to have more ocean view. Also, I think someone posted the view from an odd room much earlier in this thread if you can find it to compare to my pictures.

The most important thing for the view though is to get as high a floor as possible (7 is highest), and high a number as possible to get closer to the ocean (739 and 740 are the highest). But then the palm trees could throw it off if you happen to get a higher floor right next to a palm tree top!

oc2005 Jan 6, 2014 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 22098508)
Seems a bit hit and miss as I just booked an extended Christmas Break stay in Orlando. All Orlando hotels showed availability. So perhaps its the algorithms.

Did you guys try to book say a three week stay. Once confirmed, I would call in HGP, pare back the reservation to the dates desired. Often on extended stays, there are great rates. So I would ask HGP to call the hotel and ask permission to keep rates booked.

I've tried everything I can think of for booking Andaz Maui over that time period -- longer length reservations (including weeks or months), shorter length, online booking, third party sites, calling the diamond line (probably over 10 times now), calling the hotel directly, having the diamond line call the hotel and work on my behalf, trying with paid nights, trying with award nights, etc. and nothing has worked. They all say the same thing - those nights just have not been released yet.

I've booked as many nights as they would let me book so far before the blackout period, but I guess I'll just have to wait a couple more weeks and use the higher point level if I want to use points for the rest of my stay. I did notice that a couple of the nights I was able to book several weeks back are no longer available anymore either. So not only have they not released rooms for that time period, they seem to have unreleased rooms from some nights that were previously available!

musikdude Jan 6, 2014 6:01 pm

Well- I hope GP is aware of this "issue"- seems really unfair to let this happen.
My personal answer to this is to make a reservation for early Dec. 2014 now and then use the "free change" period that has been announced, to nab those XMAS dates, a few weeks from now. I will do a runaround around their runaround!! Take that Andaz Maui! :)

oc2005 Jan 6, 2014 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by musikdude (Post 22099293)
Well- I hope GP is aware of this "issue"- seems really unfair to let this happen.
My personal answer to this is to make a reservation for early Dec. 2014 now and then use the "free change" period that has been announced, to nab those XMAS dates, a few weeks from now. I will do a runaround around their runaround!! Take that Andaz Maui! :)

Great idea! Now watch...they won't release the Xmas dates until February 16th!

hqly2001 Jan 7, 2014 2:30 pm

What is the most common types of upgrades folks are getting outside the busy holiday season?

Is there a lounge that serves cocktails for Diamonds at this hotel?

Maui4me1 Jan 7, 2014 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by hqly2001 (Post 22105667)
What is the most common types of upgrades folks are getting outside the busy holiday season?

Is there a lounge that serves cocktails for Diamonds at this hotel?

No lounge.

hqly2001 Jan 7, 2014 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Maui4me1 (Post 22106029)
No lounge.

Do you get drinks at the bar or something in lieu of the lounge?

Maui4me1 Jan 7, 2014 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by hqly2001 (Post 22106786)
Do you get drinks at the bar or something in lieu of the lounge?

You get a great breakfast but nothing as far anything in lieu of no lounge.

lz80521 Jan 8, 2014 1:12 pm

Has anyone redeemed chase two free night awards at Andaz Maui recently? I checked the availability online and found no availability from Feb. to the end of year. Do I have to call to use the free night award?

healthnut Jan 8, 2014 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by lz80521 (Post 22112612)
Has anyone redeemed chase two free night awards at Andaz Maui recently? I checked the availability online and found no availability from Feb. to the end of year. Do I have to call to use the free night award?

Yes, you must call.

lz80521 Jan 8, 2014 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut (Post 22112822)
Yes, you must call.

Thank you healthnut.

flyinghigh2011 Jan 8, 2014 8:08 pm

I heard someone state they have unlimited mimosas for $15??? Where at and is it all day??

Also how long does the complimentary outrigger canoeing activity take and for those who did it, was it worth the time?

thanks