FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

josephstern Aug 27, 2015 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25336304)
That's very old "news." A two month old blog post. Jeff Zidell responded some time ago, confirmed that certain properties are not complying with GP rules, and indicated this would be addressed internally.

Gary Leff may be an "advocate" for GP members but he's also substantially responsible for these problems through his endless touting of how to exploit Diamond status.

So maybe Jeff needs an alert that another property is pulling the same tricks.

tjbrooks Aug 27, 2015 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 25336875)
So maybe Jeff needs an alert that another property is pulling the same tricks.

This hotel is playing within the rules though? There's no rule about minimum #/% of base rooms. There's no rule about enforcing an 8-day minimum stay on only the base room. Jeff was just at this property this summer.

FWIW I stayed at the Andaz last week. Award space showed up a few days in advance (thanks wandr.me/sbm12). It was available all along with the 8-day minimum stay, but finally the limitation was removed. Arrival at valet was awful, just like last time, but other than that it was a great one-night stay before our Westin condo. I didn't have to pay the resort fee. My wife took the free SUP lesson and I borrowed a GoPro. In room snacks were Maui Chips, Anahola Granola bars, Maui Brewing Co. Root Beer, Virgil's Cola, San Pellegrino.

canyonleo Aug 27, 2015 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 25336754)
Thank you Canyonleo.

I doubt I would stay at this Andaz anyway, even if they didn't cut the benefits, for a few reasons

1) We don't really care for Maui
2) We care for Wailea even less
3) We don't like the sparse decor of all Andaz', but can deal with it except for 1 & 2 above :)

You must not be into scuba/snorkel then, because Maui, specifically the Wailea/Makena South reefs (and the beaches) are a global top spot (considering price of transportation to arrive, having cheap food/accommodation options such as award stays and Costco and mom & pop type restaurants, and reef access from shore with no boat spend).

But, I sure agree about your #3, the only reason I repeatedly stay there (for the part of my trips I'm not using VRBO) is the great location and the ability to stay free - that's free with no F&B spend and no resort fees - with all point award stays.

But, my main point was don't let some credit card cookie scheme stop you from reading the blog (let your other very good reasons suffice) :)

peteropny Aug 27, 2015 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 25335913)
That doesn't seem fair. If he's got valuable info . . . even if it's a needle in a haystack.

But, OK. Basically, a rep at Hyatt (Jeff Zidell, Hyatt’s Senior Vice President for the Gold Passport program) is receptive to information about hotels that are working the system to limit award room inventory.

Gary has a communication channel to Jeff.

I'm not here to toot my horn but I wrote an email to Jeff and he responded to me before Gary's blog post on the subject. FWIW, we exchange emails about once a month to highlight what I see as hot topics - mostly concerning the program globally but can include individual properties if the situation is bad enough (that's because Jeff''s area of responsibility is Gold Passport and not individual property's operations).

fishy21 Aug 27, 2015 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 25338988)
I'm not here to toot my horn but I wrote an email to Jeff and he responded to me before Gary's blog post on the subject. FWIW, we exchange emails about once a month to highlight what I see as hot topics - mostly concerning the program globally but can include individual properties if the situation is bad enough (that's because Jeff''s area of responsibility is Gold Passport and not individual property's operations).

Have you seen any improvements based on your conversations? or just the typical corporate "thanks for letting us know" response?

peteropny Aug 28, 2015 6:06 am

Originally Posted by fishy21 (Post 25339069)
Have you seen any improvements based on your conversations? or just the typical corporate "thanks for letting us know" response?

I haven't checked personally but there hasn't been much further reports here in the forum or in that thread on the HR San Francisco started by Vuelos, so I would say there has been improvement. I never expect them (Jeff) to acknowledge that there was a problem but just to fix it.

dajoip Aug 30, 2015 11:44 am

Diamonds back to full breakfast?

Staying here now... I have no idea how much truth there is to this, but just putting it out there... During breakfast yesterday, when our waiter heard that I was a Diamond, he told us that we were "two weeks early, and that the plan is to return to full breakfast for Diamonds soon". I can't vouch for this either way, just thought I'd share since I know it's been a sore subject for a long time for many of you. Hopefully there's some truth to it, although my wife and I both felt that there was plenty of good food with the Pantry option.

peteropny Aug 30, 2015 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by dajoip (Post 25351205)
Staying here now... I have no idea how much truth there is to this, but just putting it out there... During breakfast yesterday, when our waiter heard that I was a Diamond, he told us that we were "two weeks early, and that the plan is to return to full breakfast for Diamonds soon". I can't vouch for this either way, just thought I'd share since I know it's been a sore subject for a long time for many of you. Hopefully there's some truth to it, although my wife and I both felt that there was plenty of good food with the Pantry option.

Here now too - they didn't tell me that but it makes sense because the cost isn't really anymore with the order 1 side instead of the whole buffet. They should not return to the additional entree and mimosas though.

Stay was booked last October on BRG + DSU, was upgraded from the POV suite to an Andaz Suite at the end of the north tower - it's quieter and view is a bit better without having to look over the roof of the villas to see the ocean.

suite2suite Aug 30, 2015 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 25352048)
Here now too - they didn't tell me that but it makes sense because the cost isn't really anymore with the order 1 side instead of the whole buffet. They should not return to the additional entree and mimosas though.

Stay was booked last October on BRG + DSU, was upgraded from the POV suite to an Andaz Suite at the end of the north tower - it's quieter and view is a bit better without having to look over the roof of the villas to see the ocean.

Glad you're enjoying your stay.
I remember how lucky you were to find such a deal. I could not even come close.
We got spoiled when it first opened, two years ago, with the "50% off a four nights stay".
If I remember correctly it came to less than $200 a night including tax and all four nights ended up counting toward the fall promotion and elite status.
Plus no limit on breakfast and hardly anyone staying at the hotel.
We've been there since, at least four times, and have always been treated very well, suite and all.

canyonleo Aug 30, 2015 5:35 pm

That will be a pleasant surprise (mostly for made-to-order smoothies, and top coffee choice) if true, for my upcoming stay in October.

I'll be looking forward to hearing any update on this in the coming weeks by any FTers staying at this property.

ThisPlaceHasEverything Aug 31, 2015 12:26 pm

DSU - Andaz Pool Side Suite only?

Anyone run into trouble using a DSU at the at this property? Have a booking for 1/24-1/31 next year in an Ocean View Q, and the rep told me they only book into the Pool Suite with a DSU and that they are all full. I think there are only a few of these to begin with...what happened to booking into an Andaz Suite?

bullittX Aug 31, 2015 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by dajoip (Post 25351205)

I spoke to one of the GM's assistants because I'm heading there tomorrow, and I casually asked her if it's true that they're bringing back the full breakfast, and to my dismay she confirmed it. She said as of tomorrow September 1st, all diamonds are getting the full breakfast once again.

hailstorm Aug 31, 2015 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by bullittX (Post 25358953)
I spoke to one of the GM's assistants because I'm heading there tomorrow, and I casually asked her if it's true that they're bringing back the full breakfast, and to my dismay she confirmed it. She said as of tomorrow September 1st, all diamonds are getting the full breakfast once again.

Welcome to Flyertalk! Why are you dismayed about getting more benefits than you bargained for?

bullittX Aug 31, 2015 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 25358965)
Welcome to Flyertalk! Why are you dismayed about getting more benefits than you bargained for?

I was just purely shocked. I never expected them to return to their former glory. I was pissed as everybody because I went there during their first month of opening. I'm really glad that hopefully things are turning around, but I'm thinking maybe that's why they instituted the resort fee :(

777 global mile hound Aug 31, 2015 10:30 pm

Think it is a truly fantastic development^
I commend the hotel for making not only the appropriate decision but for simplifying the most complicated Diamond Gold Passport benefit ever witnessed at breakfast
Had some long conversations with management this past April in intense detail.But this exceeded my end expectation
I appreciate their cooperation and support of Diamond members and aligning more closely to other Hyatt premium properties worldwide
Despite the new resort fee this remains one of my favorite Hyatt properties in the world.
I can't wait to return and have the pleasure of another experience here and that's coming from someone who has never been a resort fan