Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:49 pm

Is it true Diamonds no longer receive complimentary spa access here as well?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
Is it true Diamonds no longer receive complimentary spa access here as well?
Yes. All you get is a discount for services.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
If you can find one of their 27 garden view rooms available (standard) then you can book an award. Good luck.
I know there's been a lot of funny business with Hyatt hotels and standard awards.

Is this historically one of those hotels?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
I know there's been a lot of funny business with Hyatt hotels and standard awards.

This hotel doesn't have a lot of history, but it is rapidly moving in that direction.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond

9% of the rooms are standard for awards. Ridiculous in that they simply created a new category called garden view that has no difference than mountain view except being on a lower floor.

One of the moderators doesn't see it as a big deal. We all have opinions, but to me this is complete bs and blatant changing of room categories to manipulate award inventory.

Just wait, next we will have the "Plant" category and a further reduction in standard rooms. A room with a plant in it. Perfectly fine based on the rules of the program. Bend me over while you thank me for my loyalty.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess you've got to vote with your feet. I'm starting to learn that hotel loyalty just doesn't pay (bigger perk to me is breakfast, and really, when I'm traveling, I usually want to save my meals for great restaurants, so I end up with just coffee).

Anyway, I did get rooms, two with my Chase nights, and two with points. Some nights I have an ADA room, but I've requested that I get switched out of those.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I guess you've got to vote with your feet. I'm starting to learn that hotel loyalty just doesn't pay (bigger perk to me is breakfast, and really, when I'm traveling, I usually want to save my meals for great restaurants, so I end up with just coffee).

Anyway, I did get rooms, two with my Chase nights, and two with points. Some nights I have an ADA room, but I've requested that I get switched out of those.
In my view, hotel loyalty really pays off with Hyatt in the form of DSU certificates for Diamonds in the form of 4 per year. Every large chain is going to have issues with consistent experience and this gets tougher, I believe, as chains grow larger. I may not get the same experience at every Hyatt high end hotel but the DSU's keep me in the game and overall, they run a quality operation. So do the other major chains but I've now become a loyal fan of Hyatt because the DSUs have high value to me, and others and that makes it worth being loyal to them, in addition to their overall high quality bar.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
If categorizing a ridiculously small 9% of the rooms as available for award use isn't gaming the system, then I don't know what is. BS is right.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, we've got a spokesperson:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....rmed-upgrades/
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Can you summarize the post? I refuse to click on blogs... anyone's blog.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Can you summarize the post? I refuse to click on blogs... anyone's blog.
That doesn't seem fair. If he's got valuable info . . . even if it's a needle in a haystack.

But, OK. Basically, a rep at Hyatt (Jeff Zidell, Hyatt’s Senior Vice President for the Gold Passport program) is receptive to information about hotels that are working the system to limit award room inventory.

Gary has a communication channel to Jeff.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:13 am

Thanks. I appreciate the summary.

A few people have a channel to Jeff who are not bloggers, hence, I'd rather not give him, or any other blogger the clicks. I also thought I read that once you hit their blogs, their cookies remain, and they might get credit should I decide to apply for a credit card without using their link.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Mary, just use one of your browsers that you set to never allow cookies. For example, I use Firefox, IE and Safari, but one of them is set to never allow cookies (thus is only used for instances like you name), one is set to only allow cookies to the sites I choose (e.g. banks, merchants, etc. where I need to use cookies) and one is set to allow cookies (I have all cookies deleted daily, but this is for sites that require them but I wish I didn't have to use them).

As for the blog on Zidell and Leff, it's mostly from June, so I don't put much faith in anything improving at Maui Andaz.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That's very old "news." A two month old blog post. Jeff Zidell responded some time ago, confirmed that certain properties are not complying with GP rules, and indicated this would be addressed internally.

Gary Leff may be an "advocate" for GP members but he's also substantially responsible for these problems through his endless touting of how to exploit Diamond status.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:01 am

Thank you Canyonleo.

I doubt I would stay at this Andaz anyway, even if they didn't cut the benefits, for a few reasons

1) We don't really care for Maui
2) We care for Wailea even less
3) We don't like the sparse decor of all Andaz', but can deal with it except for 1 & 2 above

Last edited by Mary2e; Aug 27, 2015 at 11:56 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.