Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by peteropny
I'm staying here late this month, booked last year before the resort fee was introduced. Got an email yesterday saying that I could opt in to pay the resort fee if I wanted the benefits - leads me to assume that the benefits are not included for those who are exempt from the resort fee, booked prior to April 2015.

I'm not sure how else to say this, but for the umpteenth time, strictly award bookings on points (or presumably the credit card signup nights) will not be charged the resort fee but the parking fee applies. I'm not posting this again in this thread.
Is it a revenue or award stay (I'm assuming award, since right now that's where the confusion lies...)? Was the email you received the one from their concierge welcoming you, asking for flight information, and outlining their amenities? Or was it a different email, specifically mentioning opting in for those extra "resort-fee" benefits? I'm also staying there later this month, and I've received nothing other than a "generic" email from the concierge with this verbiage:
... We would also like you to discover what our resort experience has to offer by invigorating your stay with amenities that excite the senses and amplify your vacation experience. Andaz Maui offers the traditional amenities you expect and new offerings you won’t be able to travel without, including:

GoPro Hero 4 Camera Rental | Outrigger Excursion | Stand Up Paddleboard Yoga
GoPro Photo & Video Editing lab | Snorkel Rental | Single & Tandem Bike Rental
Pilates Classes | Ukulele Lessons | Hula Lessons
Body Board Rental | Yoga Classes

Amenities always included in your Andaz experience:

Welcome Beverage | Reusable water bottles | Transportation within Wailea
24 Hour laundry facility | ‘Ohana Lounge | 808 Kids Club
24 Hour Fitness Center | Wireless Internet | Mini-bar Refreshments ...
Nothing in that text suggests to me that it's extra and that I have to choose to opt-in to receive those amenities. The fact that you feel this way (again, assuming you were referring to an award stay), simply indicates that there's still quite a bit of confusion as to how things are being implemented. Either way, the issue still has not been definitively addressed. I called the Diamond line earlier this week and asked them whether the "resort fee amenities" will be included at no additional cost on a full award stay at this property. They did some research, as well as calling the hotel directly, and came back with an unequivocal "YES - it will be included at no extra charge", which I asked for them to notate in my account/reservation.

Last edited by dajoip; Aug 7, 2015 at 7:34 am
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by dajoip
I'm also staying there later this month, and I've received nothing other than a "generic" email from the concierge with this verbiage:
Quote:
... We would also like you to discover what our resort experience has to offer by invigorating your stay with amenities that excite the senses and amplify your vacation experience. Andaz Maui offers the traditional amenities you expect and new offerings you won’t be able to travel without, including:

GoPro Hero 4 Camera Rental | Outrigger Excursion | Stand Up Paddleboard Yoga
GoPro Photo & Video Editing lab | Snorkel Rental | Single & Tandem Bike Rental
Pilates Classes | Ukulele Lessons | Hula Lessons
Body Board Rental | Yoga Classes
Can anyone confirm that the Resort Fee, paid or gratis, includes the "new offerings" above: Stand Up Paddleboard, Snorkel Equipment, Single & Tandem Bikes, Body Boards? If they are included, why do they continue to use the word Rental? Do you have to pay a Rental Fee in addition to the Resort Fee? If so, that would make the new Resort Fee, like most all other Resort Fees, pretty much worthless.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:03 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Is it a revenue or award stay (I'm assuming award, since right now that's where the confusion lies...)? Was the email you received the one from their concierge welcoming you, asking for flight information, and outlining their amenities? Or was it a different email, specifically mentioning opting in for those extra "resort-fee" benefits? I'm also staying there later this month, and I've received nothing other than a "generic" email from the concierge with this verbiage:

Nothing in that text suggests to me that it's extra and that I have to choose to opt-in to receive those amenities. The fact that you feel this way (again, assuming you were referring to an award stay), simply indicates that there's still quite a bit of confusion as to how things are being implemented. Either way, the issue still has not been definitively addressed. I called the Diamond line earlier this week and asked them whether the "resort fee amenities" will be included at no additional cost on a full award stay at this property. They did some research, as well as calling the hotel directly, and came back with an unequivocal "YES - it will be included at no extra charge", which I asked for them to notate in my account/reservation.
It's actually a revenue stay (BRG + DSU). I think it's the latter type of email (asking about opting in for the resort fee for the benefits).

Anyways, since Hawaii has quite a bit of advance bookings (I booked my stay last October), I would expect this confusion with the benefits (those who pay the resort fee vs those who do not opt in (and perhaps those on award stays) to continue for a while until all revenue stays are assessed the resort fee.

This is the verbiage from the email:
We look forward to welcoming you to Andaz Maui at Wailea! As your personal concierge, we would like to take a moment to introduce you to the many activities and cultural experiences Maui has to offer.

To make the most of your time in Maui, we would like to obtain your arrival and departure flight information, the names of any other adults traveling with you, and whether you will need assistance with transportation arrangements to and from the airport.

**We noticed that you booked your reservation prior to April 2nd which means that you are eligible for a great opportunity. We now have a daily resort charge which would let you discover what our resort has to offer by invigorating your stay with amenities that excite the senses and amplify your vacation experience. The total value of $380.00 is yours to enjoy at a $40.00 daily rate should you wish to opt-in to this program. Andaz Maui offers the traditional amenities you expect and new offerings you won’t be able to travel without, including:

GoPro Hero 4 Camera Rental Outrigger Excursion Stand Up Paddleboard Yoga GoPro Photo & Video Editing lab Snorkel Rental Single & Tandem Bike Rental
Pilates Classes Ukulele Lessons Hula Lessons Body Board Rental Yoga Classes Professional Photo Shoot

*Space is limited, reservations can be made upon arrival to the resort.

Amenities always included in your Andaz experience:

Welcome Beverage Reusable water bottles Transportation within Wailea 24 Hour laundry ility ‘Ohana Lounge 808 Kids Club
24 Hour Fitness Center Wireless Internet Mini-bar Refreshments

Please let us know if you would like to move forward with opting-in and taking advantage of this great amplified experience.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
It's actually a revenue stay (BRG + DSU). I think it's the latter type of email (asking about opting in for the resort fee for the benefits).

Anyways, since Hawaii has quite a bit of advance bookings (I booked my stay last October), I would expect this confusion with the benefits (those who pay the resort fee vs those who do not opt in (and perhaps those on award stays) to continue for a while until all revenue stays are assessed the resort fee.

This is the verbiage from the email:
Yes, that's the exact same email I received, except for this portion (where I've bolded the changes):

MINE:
We would also like you to discover what our resort experience has to offer by invigorating your stay with amenities that excite the senses and amplify your vacation experience.
YOURS:
**We noticed that you booked your reservation prior to April 2nd which means that you are eligible for a great opportunity. We now have a daily resort charge which would let you discover what our resort has to offer by invigorating your stay with amenities that excite the senses and amplify your vacation experience. The total value of $380.00 is yours to enjoy at a $40.00 daily rate should you wish to opt-in to this program ...

... Please let us know if you would like to move forward with opting-in and taking advantage of this great amplified experience.
So apparently that's how they're distinguishing between those who have to opt-in to the resort fee (revenue stay booked prior to 4/2), vs those who either will be charged it by default (revenue stay booked after 4/2), or those who will have it waived (award stay booked anytime).

Last edited by dajoip; Aug 7, 2015 at 9:34 am
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by BOSOGG
Can anyone confirm that the Resort Fee, paid or gratis, includes the "new offerings" above: Stand Up Paddleboard, Snorkel Equipment, Single & Tandem Bikes, Body Boards? If they are included, why do they continue to use the word Rental? Do you have to pay a Rental Fee in addition to the Resort Fee? If so, that would make the new Resort Fee, like most all other Resort Fees, pretty much worthless.
I have a personally written letter from their concierge 1) saying that for points stays, the fee is waived and those benefits still extended, and 2) none of the "rental" amenities involve an extra fee - rather, they simply involve a usage agreement to check items out and all items are subject to availability.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:26 am

I have a personally written letter from their concierge 1) saying that for points stays, the fee is waived and those benefits still extended, and 2) none of the "rental" amenities involve an extra fee - rather, they simply involve a usage agreement to check items out and all items are subject to availability.
Thanks for reply. That's good news.
Wonder why they publish rental rates online, and who these rates would apply to?
http://maui.andaz.hyatt.com/en/hotel...h-rentals.html
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Wonder why they publish rental rates online, and who these rates would apply to?
Guests who booked before the resort fee was imposed.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Guests who booked before the resort fee was imposed.
Seems unlikely. There is no disclaimer or qualification; just a list of beach rental charges. If the published page were to apply to such a limited group, for such a limited time, I would think it would be identified as such.

Last edited by BOSOGG; Aug 8, 2015 at 11:48 am
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Fairmont, SPG, AA, WN
I am looking for a Points only award for January or February and I am not having any luck. What exactly is meant by no blackout dates if a points only redemption is not available?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Mastermind
I am looking for a Points only award for January or February and I am not having any luck. What exactly is meant by no blackout dates if a points only redemption is not available?
I was able to book a 5 night stay at an Andaz suite in mid January at 40k points per night. As long as that room type is available can be booked only by calling in and not online. The stay for suite has to be minimum of 3 nights.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Seems unlikely. There is no disclaimer or qualification; just a list of beach rental charges. If the published page were to apply to such a limited group, for such a limited time, I would think it would be identified as such.
You're not following the thread.

The rental charges would apply to guests who are not on awards and otherwise exempt from the resort fee. In other words, guests who booked before the resort fee was imposed.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:34 pm

The rental charges would apply to guests who are not on awards and otherwise exempt from the resort fee. In other words, guests who booked before the resort fee was imposed.
Thanks, but I have been following the thread. My point/question is why would resort site have published Beach Rentals page, listing rental charges for items that are free/no charge/included in Resort Fee?
I could be wrong, but I can't see them linking this page, titled Beach Rentals, if it ONLY applied to a small minority of guests, for a limited time, and not label it as such. Something like: "Published rental charges listed apply only to those making reservations prior to xx/xx2105 and choosing not to pay Resort Fee."
Hopefully, it DOES apply only to pre-Resort Fee, and they just haven't edited it yet?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Mastermind
If you can find one of their 27 garden view rooms available (standard) then you can book an award. Good luck.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 2:02 pm

Thanks, but I have been following the thread. My point/question is why would resort site have published Beach Rentals page, listing rental charges for items that are free/no charge/included in Resort Fee?
I could be wrong, but I can't see them linking this page, titled Beach Rentals, if it ONLY applied to a small minority of guests, for a limited time, and not label it as such. Something like: "Published rental charges listed apply only to those making reservations prior to xx/xx2105 and choosing not to pay Resort Fee."
Hopefully, it DOES apply only to pre-Resort Fee, and they just haven't edited it yet?
I phoned the Andaz and asked to be transferred to Beach Rentals (see above link for Beach Rentals). Specifically asked if use of Paddle Boards, Kayaks, etc. were included in the Resort Fee. I was told they are not included. Was told that Resort Fee DOES include beach chairs and umbrellas, though. And Water Noodles!
This was one Andaz employee's response. Could be wrong.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:16 pm

I phoned the Andaz and asked to be transferred to Beach Rentals (see above link for Beach Rentals). Specifically asked if use of Paddle Boards, Kayaks, etc. were included in the Resort Fee. I was told they are not included. Was told that Resort Fee DOES include beach chairs and umbrellas, though. And Water Noodles!
This was one Andaz employee's response. Could be wrong.
Was there in July, and my experience was the same. Free: beach chairs/towels and free snorkel mask/fins. Paddle boards and kayaks were not included in the resort fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.