FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

PortlySpartacus Apr 28, 15 2:47 pm


Originally Posted by PointsCentric (Post 24734713)
I'm on property now and I'm one of the lucky few who was able to get a points + cash combined with a DSU reservation. I ended up with room 138 which has to be the worse partial ocean view suite. I posted a pic on my blog but this really pushes the definition of partial ocean view to me.
There is a large group here from Stratasys so all other suites are booked. Can't say I'm surprised to get this room but it does a leave a sour taste in my mouth. Outside of this, our stay has been great thus far.

http://pointscentric.com/2015/04/28/...al-ocean-view/

To answer your question from your blog which was "would you consider this an acceptable partial ocean view".....well, by definition it is a 'partial' ocean view, but is it acceptable? Hmmmm

If I was using a DSU like you I would be disappointed but I guess you have to weigh having the suite upgrade vs. a normal room with a better view and which is more important to you at this point?

With a full hotel, sounds like your options are limited.....

canyonleo Apr 28, 15 3:20 pm

I'm pretty sure I was given that room once (on an award stay at suite level, I think that's 150% of the normal amount of points?)... gladly downgraded (with applicable points refund) to a ocean view non-suite room.

hailstorm Apr 28, 15 4:11 pm

If there's one cloud in the sky, you'd still call that "partly cloudy"

There are better ways of describing that room than "partial ocean view", but it's not inaccurate to say that.

Frindle Apr 28, 15 5:06 pm

Seems like a lot of the posters here agree. This property is trying to nickel and dime it's way to higher profits. $6 donuts. $12 breakfast sandwich. $45 breakfast. $30 car parking (although that is normal for the islands). The drinks at the bar were weak at best, and the portions were tiny. The minibar was also practically non-existent. Never restocked throughout my stay, only a couple of drinks in it, and 1 bag of chips that was mostly air. Really nice hotel, great location, phenomenal staff, but they have the Disney mindset of charging an arm and a leg for everything, while providing a "memorable" experience.

Next time I'll just find another hotel even if it means not going back to Maui and going to another island instead.

PointsCentric Apr 28, 15 10:14 pm


Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 24735393)
If there's one cloud in the sky, you'd still call that "partly cloudy"

There are better ways of describing that room than "partial ocean view", but it's not inaccurate to say that.

Agreed, it does meet the definition of a partial ocean view so I don't have much of a leg to stand on. I posted this more to make others aware that using a DSU won't get you the prime partial ocean view suites. I had heard this was the case and I'm able to confirm firsthand.

On a positive note, I'm finding the service to be mostly great (valet and bartenders have been awesome) and personally the Pantry breakfast option is enough for us but I'm sure others disagree.

canyonleo Apr 29, 15 8:15 am


Originally Posted by Frindle (Post 24735628)
$30 car parking (although that is normal for the islands).

OK, not quite correct IMO, "Common" might be a better word than "normal"... or normal for Wailea versus all the island(s).

On the broader topic of nickel and dime-ing (including parking fees) check out the Makena Beach Resort (there's no golf there, so don't believe the name), right on the top of their web home page it notes "free parking, free internet, no resort fees." -quite refreshing.

As for DSU only getting the worst rooms with worst views (first floor on the right in the middle wing), a number of posters have noted that they were given the best rooms - so it is hit and miss, there's no "always" here.

weezl Apr 29, 15 6:13 pm


Originally Posted by PointsCentric (Post 24736938)
On a positive note, I'm finding the service to be mostly great (valet and bartenders have been awesome) and personally the Pantry breakfast option is enough for us but I'm sure others disagree.

The valets are indeed a really nice and helpful bunch with zero attitude!

Football Fan Apr 30, 15 3:35 am

Sadly, a lady just got killed by a shark not very far from the Andaz beach (at Makena beach).

http://mauinow.com/2015/04/29/fatal-...pot-at-makena/

hailstorm Apr 30, 15 3:44 am

It's okay. Sharks don't have enough money to cover the resort fees at Andaz Maui.

canyonleo Apr 30, 15 9:19 am


Originally Posted by Football Fan (Post 24743613)
Sadly, a lady just got killed by a shark not very far from the Andaz beach (at Makena beach).

http://mauinow.com/2015/04/29/fatal-...pot-at-makena/

On the one hand, and in the past, most (like over 75% if not 80-90%) such incidents were (or could be) categorized as "provoked", meaning either the victim was spear fishing (basically, with the victim's catch, chumming the water) or imitating a seal (basically, dressing in a black slick skin tight outfit, hanging out on the surface, also known as surfing) or in the water in the wrong conditions (murky post-storm run-off type water, when sharks are easily confused). In other words, all these types of incidents are pretty easily avoided by most (other than surfers, of course).

But, in recent years the extra protection of the sharks' food chain (e.g. turtles and fish and such), and the changing attitudes in conservation (not many still hunt turtles for food, locals growing view of sea life as an important tourist economy element), have created a so to speak proliferation of shark food chain in the waters that ocean enthusiasts of all type frequent.

The numbers (statistically) are still nothing to worry about, just some anecdotal stuff (and I'll bet nearly no one staying at Andaz would visit Dumps site - I go to nearly every snorkel site nearby include La Perouse and I never go to Dumps, for snorkeling or diving)... for a swimmer or snorkeler (or scuba diver) odds of an incident are still likely less than winning the lottery (much different odds for spear fishing or surfing).

AttorneyVin May 1, 15 1:24 pm

AMAZING Stay!!!
 
Just got back from an absolutely AMAZING Anniversary Stay - spent 7 nights and stayed in what has to be the best Suite, 739... top floor, full ocean view! It was a paid stay, using a DSU. Exceptional service, great food and drink, and a truly amazing Suite! We will definitely be back!!

I will try to post a long review in the near future!

sam_goh May 1, 15 10:45 pm

739 or 740 are the ones to have. Congrats :)

JetAway May 2, 15 5:55 am


Originally Posted by AttorneyVin (Post 24751567)
Just got back from an absolutely AMAZING Anniversary Stay - spent 7 nights and stayed in what has to be the best Suite, 739... top floor, full ocean view! It was a paid stay, using a DSU. Exceptional service, great food and drink, and a truly amazing Suite! We will definitely be back!!

I will try to post a long review in the near future!

Maybe things have finally turned the corner there. One can only hope...

laxsnaogg May 6, 15 8:56 am


Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 24754041)
Maybe things have finally turned the corner there. One can only hope...

Can anyone please confirm whether the "Andaz Suite Partial Ocean View" will comfortably accommodate 4 guests (2 adults and 2 kids). The hotel description only lists a king bed, but the website lets me book it with 4 guests.

I realize this could be a accomplished via a quick call to the hotel, but I'm hoping to get opinions on whether it would be comfortable, rather than just possible to cram in 4 guests (if there's a pull out sofa or option for roll away beds, that might work for us).

spgplat21 May 6, 15 9:13 am


Originally Posted by laxsnaogg (Post 24774830)
Can anyone please confirm whether the "Andaz Suite Partial Ocean View" will comfortably accommodate 4 guests (2 adults and 2 kids). The hotel description only lists a king bed, but the website lets me book it with 4 guests.

I realize this could be a accomplished via a quick call to the hotel, but I'm hoping to get opinions on whether it would be comfortable, rather than just possible to cram in 4 guests (if there's a pull out sofa or option for roll away beds, that might work for us).

It may be a little tight depending on how heavy everyone packs, but I thought there was plenty of room for 4. There are no pullout sofas, but the room could definitely accommodate two rollaways. You'd just need to get them moved out of the way each day because they would take up most of the empty space in the living area. If the children are small enough, the couches are probably plenty big enough, but for an older kid I think you'd definitely want to get rollaways.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:25 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.