FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

IYUKO1023 Apr 1, 2015 11:20 pm

Is this new GM's idea from Aviara ?? They also charge extra $70/day.

meecal Apr 2, 2015 12:19 am

This is absolutely ridiculous. And doing it retroactively approaches the point of theft. I've made a note to update my reviews of this hotel. The breakfast games weren't getting my ire up too much but this is just absurd.

777 global mile hound Apr 2, 2015 12:20 am

I'm surprised quite frankly on a number of counts
First the property had no resort fees and now mandatory fees suddenly proposed
Second retroactive resort fees? I've never heard of that :rolleyes::td::confused:
Third its one thing to start out at $20 or $25 a night but $40?
For a moment I thought it was an April Fools Joke

I booked two rooms on Cash and Points.
Just got in under the deadline for the new nuisance fee
My instinct says the policy is property driven with Hyatt going along with the bizarre policy to make the owners happy
at the expense of Hyatt's customers and typically wise decision making.
I heard the property is doing well so this is all the more surprising that they are taking it to the extreme

I'm trying to stay optimistic for my upcoming stay but starting to think I should have booked the older Hyatt which has never been confrontational with policies in my memories.

hailstorm Apr 2, 2015 4:56 am

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst (Post 24602506)
Hawaii is part of the United States

Sorry, I didn't realize that you wanted a law for this one hotel.

coffee18 Apr 2, 2015 5:24 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 24602761)
> ...glad I only stay here on award stays that waive any resort fee.

Is this fact confirm-able?

todorovic Apr 2, 2015 5:31 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 5: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B466 Safari/600.1.4)

Originally Posted by coffee18

> ...glad I only stay here on award stays that waive any resort fee.

Is this fact confirm-able?

Yes. However, the fact you're on an award stay won't take care of the parking fees

hailstorm Apr 2, 2015 6:00 am

> That's a s h i t t y thing to do.

This.
And retroactively, without notice - shame on them.
I thought their change of Diamond breakfast policy was really a non-issue, and for such a small segment of their total guest population I would figure. But this resort fee, on top of the valet fee, sucks. Lame. ...glad I only stay here on award stays that waive any resort fee.

You can avoid the resort fees with the Kihei Option. Just sleep in the car. ;)

coffee18 Apr 2, 2015 6:24 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 24604885)
You can avoid the resort fees with the Kihei Option. Just sleep in the car. ;)

At this point, I'm pretty sure that's what they want us to do: sleep in the car and avoid their resort altogether.

ZBigFam Apr 2, 2015 9:07 am

This is an absolute disgrace. So glad I crossed the Andaz off my list earlier this year. Will never be back unless this changes. How can Hyatt feel like this is a good representation of their brand?

obscure2k Apr 2, 2015 10:38 am

At least they aren't charging for beach chairs. This is a recent post from the Luxury Hotels Forum re: Montage Hotel Kapalua.
I was shocked to find out that my family if four needs to spend an additional $80 a day for beach chairs, let alone the costs of snorkel tubes, boogie boards etc.

I asked them about getting water and soda for the fridge and I got a form to fill out that said it would be a $30 charge in addition to the cost of the items.

exmike Apr 2, 2015 10:54 am

Its incredible how far this property has fallen in year. I was pretty sure I would never return to this property, but now this resort fee BS seals the deal. Retroactive resort fee is total BS. About the most customer-unfriendly you could conjure up short of increasing the price of the room post-booking (which is essentially what it is). Time to bombard review sites with negative reports. Disgusting.

For Diamonds
Full breakfast --> pantry
Full spa access --> spa access one time access --> no spa access

For all
No resort fee --> retroactive exorbitant resort fee
Free canoe ride --> no longer free
Cash and points availability --> questionable availability
Compulsory rip off valet parking (unchanged)

Am I missing anything?

Biggie Fries Apr 2, 2015 11:03 am

Look on the website right now ... they seem to have backtracked somewhat -- resort fee will only apply to reservations made as of today forward

tvervenne Apr 2, 2015 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries (Post 24606241)
Look on the website right now ... they seem to have backtracked somewhat -- resort fee will only apply to reservations made as of today forward

I called the hotel and above is confirmed.
All reservations made prior to today don't have the resort fee.
If you still want to make use of any of the services provided of the resort fee you pay either a la carte or you opt in for paying the full fee.

777 global mile hound Apr 2, 2015 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by exmike (Post 24606178)
Its incredible how far this property has fallen in year. I was pretty sure I would never return to this property, but now this resort fee BS seals the deal. Retroactive resort fee is total BS. About the most customer-unfriendly you could conjure up short of increasing the price of the room post-booking (which is essentially what it is). Time to bombard review sites with negative reports. Disgusting.

For Diamonds
Full breakfast --> pantry
Full spa access --> spa access one time access --> no spa access

For all
No resort fee --> retroactive exorbitant resort fee
Free canoe ride --> no longer free
Cash and points availability --> questionable availability
Compulsory rip off valet parking (unchanged)

Am I missing anything?

My understanding the hotel has been approved by Hyatt to not offer Cash and Points at all going forward.
Downgraded Diamond breakfast benefit with more limited options is the way I understood it
New added resort fee in June of $40 dollars per night
Parking fee I assume is pretty common and a profit center for hotels
I'm planning to go and have a great time with my best foot forwad and write my own review after the stay
Fingers crossed:eek:

1fan Apr 2, 2015 12:48 pm

Just finished a 11 day stay 7 days P & C 4 days $600 a night with DSU
-Nicest suite upgrade we have ever had its a $600 a night vaule here
-Breakfast better than most all Hyatts I have stayed except Park Hyatt New York the --view is great paid $21 for one waffle once wont do that again
-$30 valet Its a $1250 a night retail suite who cares its the same everwhere in Wailea.
-$40 retroactive resort fee is crap but Im surprised there wasnt one before.

Even with all the changes what is a better deal for a suite thats easy to get in the Hyatt system?