Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:38 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Just booked 7 nights in September using all points. I returned from a visit last week and I agree with others who have issues with the size of the room and quirky design. However, I think the property is beautiful and the food and beverage service is outstanding. I particularly liked being served lunch at my chaise poolside. My husband and I always split our lunch (portions are very large) and the plates were divided in the kitchen which I thought was a nice touch. Servers at the pool also were good about offering free refills on iced tea. Another plus is SHADE. Umbrellas were plentiful. No reason to book a cabana.

Last edited by obscure2k; Mar 7, 2015 at 5:46 pm
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:50 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Just booked 7 nights in September using all points. I returned from a visit last week and I agree with others who have issues with the size of the room and quirky design. However, I think the property is beautiful and the food and beverage service is outstanding. I particularly liked being served lunch at my chaise poolside. My husband and I always split our lunch (portions are very large) and the plates were divided in the kitchen which I thought was a nice touch. Servers at the pool also were good about offering free refills on iced tea. Another plus is SHADE. Umbrellas were plentiful. No reason to book a cabana.
I assume you weren't in a suite? Or didn't use points to confirm a suite?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:56 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by suite2suite
Nothing available Sept-Oct-Nov if you're talking Andaz Maui.
Just hung up the phone with the agent in Omaha.
How did you get it? Must be luck. Good for you.
Always check back regularly online and by phone
I have seen glitches online and then booked by phone or been told no by phone and booked it online
Inventory changes hourly and daily
There were no awards for Andaz 5th Ave for my May dates two days ago
Booked earlier this evening^
YMMV!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:30 am

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
A few quick notes:

1) The wagyu burger for lunch is pretty good and they will split it for you if you want to share it. The kids portion isn't really worth it because it's about 1/2 the size and doesn't come with fries so by the time you add fries, it's only a little bit cheaper and the portions are much smaller.

The burger at Morimoto for lunch is better and slightly cheaper but you can't eat it poolside.

2) The laundry room is in the hallway near the rooms in the building next to the adult pool. The detergent and everything is free but some of the machines have minor issues due to people who are just plain stupid (someone put liquid detergent into the drum of the dryer, etc.).

3) The beach area is pretty small and not really kid friendly. It's about a 10-15 min walk to wailea beach if you want a big wide beach for kids.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Rock72
A few quick notes:

3) The beach area is pretty small and not really kid friendly. It's about a 10-15 min walk to wailea beach if you want a big wide beach for kids.
In what way is Mokapu Beach (the beach immediately in front of the property, and where the property has it's activities "desk" and it's chairs/umbrellas) or Ulua Beach (the beach immediately to the south of Mokapu) not kid friendly, or any less friendly than Wailea (the beach immediately to the south of Ulua)? I would say they all have equal slope and depth (maybe Wailea is widest sea line to end of sand).

IMO they're all equally kid friendly, and if anything Mokapu is (if forced to rank with no tie) the most kid friendly due to it's smallest size and typically fewest visitors and least visitor/user density.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
In what way is Mokapu Beach (the beach immediately in front of the property, and where the property has it's activities "desk" and it's chairs/umbrellas) or Ulua Beach (the beach immediately to the south of Mokapu) not kid friendly, or any less friendly than Wailea (the beach immediately to the south of Ulua)? I would say they all have equal slope and depth (maybe Wailea is widest sea line to end of sand).

IMO they're all equally kid friendly, and if anything Mokapu is (if forced to rank with no tie) the most kid friendly due to it's smallest size and typically fewest visitors and least visitor/user density.
I agree, the beach was piratically empty (5-15 people max) last week. Ulua Beach on the other hand had a ton of people. I will say that Ulua side had better snorkeling.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: DG, HD, MP
Just returned from 16 days in the islands. 4 nights at Andaz with Diamond upgrade to Ocean front suite. 6th floor, ocean view end suite. Hotel was nice and new. Check in was odd and drawn out. No "hotel uniform" so it was hard to know who was working and who was relaxing. Infinity pools were neat, and we could watch whales jump in the ocean.
Too many kids running around unchecked by their parents, at the pools, in the halls, and at the restaurants. Temper tantrums abound. They must of left their aux pairs at home.
The Andaz is very "glitzy" and pretentious. Its THE place to be seen.
Not what I had envisioned for Hawaii.
We spent 6 nights at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai and were MUCH happier. its a nicer "Hawaiian" hotel, better pools, better service, better food.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Always check back regularly online and by phone
I have seen glitches online and then booked by phone or been told no by phone and booked it online
Inventory changes hourly and daily
There were no awards for Andaz 5th Ave for my May dates two days ago
Booked earlier this evening^
YMMV!
Thanks but I was responding to the following thread:

"Originally Posted by bearcatsbucs2
Maybe I got lucky or things have changed but I was able to book on C&P today for a 6 night stay in late October. Has anybody else been able to book on C&P lately?"

Surely we're interested if the Points & Cash are back at Andaz Maui or if this is just a glitch.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:28 am

Diamond Suite Upgrade

To use a Diamond Suite Upgrade, the required room is a Pool Side Suite. The room type is showing available on other websites for my two nights, but Hyatt only shows availability for one of the nights. Even though the third party site (visasignaturehotels.com) shows the room available, they won't let me extend my DSU.

This place really stinks. Would it really kill them to extend the DSU for one more night?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by venste
To use a Diamond Suite Upgrade, the required room is a Pool Side Suite. The room type is showing available on other websites for my two nights, but Hyatt only shows availability for one of the nights. Even though the third party site (visasignaturehotels.com) shows the room available, they won't let me extend my DSU.

This place really stinks. Would it really kill them to extend the DSU for one more night?
Is it?

I thought it was POV suite? Thats what confirmed my booking although the beating this place seems to get does make me slightly nervous.

I would check with GP to confirm.

More importantly surely though is the issue of C&P being potentially back on.

Any more news?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by dewby
Is it?

I thought it was POV suite? Thats what confirmed my booking although the beating this place seems to get does make me slightly nervous.

I would check with GP to confirm.

More importantly surely though is the issue of C&P being potentially back on.

Any more news?
GP keeps telling me it's only Pool Side Suite. I really think that changed from earlier in the year.

When they denied me a P+C booking a few months ago and we learned of the news of them pulling the benefit promised across every other Hyatt branded property, I made it my mission to find a BRG rate, which I was successful in doing. So instead of $450 a night, BRG brought it down to $305 per night. P+C would have been 12,500+$150, so I'm getting a much better deal now anyway.

They need to stop being so difficult. If they don't agree with the rate that Hyatt GP is paying them for subsidized rooms/suites, then they should take the Andaz name off of the building and become independent.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

So you want them to offer you a room they are not even selling (for cash) on their own site?

Availability is one of the factors, if you like it or not. Whatever deal 3rd parties have and what they offer (probably pre-paid to Hyatt already) is not relevant here.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
GP keeps telling me it's only Pool Side Suite. I really think that changed from earlier in the year.

When they denied me a P+C booking a few months ago and we learned of the news of them pulling the benefit promised across every other Hyatt branded property, I made it my mission to find a BRG rate, which I was successful in doing. So instead of $450 a night, BRG brought it down to $305 per night. P+C would have been 12,500+$150, so I'm getting a much better deal now anyway.

They need to stop being so difficult. If they don't agree with the rate that Hyatt GP is paying them for subsidized rooms/suites, then they should take the Andaz name off of the building and become independent.
Care to divulge which site you used to secure a BRG?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, AS MVP Gold
A slightly different take - my family and I were quite happy with the Andaz Maui. After reading the reviews above I was a little concerned with bringing 2 small children and getting a second room for the grandparents.

We used C&P and were upgraded to the pool side suite with a DSU.

Breakfast worked out well and they allowed the grandparents to also have breakfast with us, along with the 2 kids, for a total of 6 people. Kids get access to the full buffet, adults have the limited version.

The overall service at the Andaz was very prompt and any issues (fitness instructor didn't show up for my wife's bootcamp session, snorkel / kayak instructor was an hour late arriving, billing errors at checkout) were resolved on the spot and they went over and above to take care of us.

The free Hyatt Kids club on site from 9am-3pm was something we would use a couple hours a day and my daughter was constantly asking to go back!

We used the "kihei" option for parking. No problems finding parking spots and no vandalism, tickets, etc.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by lotsoffun1

The overall service at the Andaz was very prompt and any issues (fitness instructor didn't show up for my wife's bootcamp session, snorkel / kayak instructor was an hour late arriving
Thats Island Time for you! Anyone else think the outrigger boat dude was high?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.