Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 12, 14, 2:19 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus View Post
I have been hearing conflicting stories about what room a DSU gets you booked into. So are you saying a DSU gets you partial ocean view, and that is all?

Is this the type of property where all rooms are suites therefore there are no suites to upgrade into with a DSU other than a better view?

Seems like kind of a waste a DSU. Would love to hear more about this so I can schedule accordingly as a Diamond with a DSU to burn. Thanks
I think it's been pretty consistent that the DSU gets you booked into the "Partial Ocean View Suite." It looks like some people have been upgraded upon arrival above that, but as far as I can tell they only book into the partial ocean veiw suite. Some people are also moved into the ground floor suites that have direct pool access, but you are not booked into those either. I only know because I checked regularly to see if DSU availability opened up during our stay and it only opened up once the partial ocean view suite became available. So yes it only gets you a partial ocean view, but it's a partial ocean view in a suite as opposed to a regular room.

All rooms here are not suites so the regular room is quite a bit smaller than the approx. 800 square foot suite. If you just want a view I would not use a DSU because it seems like regular rooms are often upgraded to the view rooms and that the suites are usually not upgraded to the suites with views probably because there are fewer of them to go around.

Last edited by spgplat21; Dec 13, 14 at 12:59 am
Old Dec 12, 14, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sam_goh View Post
I actually don't think the DSU gets you a partial ocean view by default. .
I called and was told that a partial ocean view is what DSU is confirmed into.
Old Dec 12, 14, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by ZBigFam View Post
Hi there, yes I have 6 kids (hence the name ☺). Youngest are 3 and 5 oldest just turned 18
With all of these kids, why are you not staying at the Grand Wailea?
Old Dec 13, 14, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
With all of these kids, why are you not staying at the Grand Wailea?
While I am diamond with both Hyatt just treats us so much better. Plus the wife wanted a nice beach by the hotel and the andaz seemed to fit the bill.
Old Dec 13, 14, 11:15 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
While I am diamond with both Hyatt just treats us so much better. Plus the wife wanted a nice beach by the hotel and the andaz seemed to fit the bill.
Plus you can have one of the swimming pools all to yourselves.... Have fun and Congratulations.
Old Dec 13, 14, 11:31 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
You will have a great time at either resort, but with six kids, if you still have the flexibility, I would strongly suggest that you reconsider the Grand Wailea.

Kids Love the pools. There are maybe ten interconnected pools, on different levels, with slides, rapids, rope swing, etc. and, they cascade down from the hotel to the beach, so you can be at the beach and the pools at the same time.
Less kid boredom. My kids spend the first couple of days in the pools. After that, it's the beach, with occasional pool trips.

Beach. The beaches are both nice; it's Maui. I would, however, give a strong nod to GW beach.

Standard Room:
Andaz=380-420 sq. ft.
GW=640 sq. ft.
Suite:
Andaz=850 sq. ft.
GW=1900 sq. ft. (1300 sq. ft. If you are lucky enough to be upgraded to Napua)
So, your hoped for suite at Andaz is not much bigger than standard room at GW, and, your most likely Andaz standard room will be a little over 1/2 the size of GW standard room.

Last edited by BOSOGG; Dec 13, 14 at 11:42 am
Old Dec 13, 14, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by BOSOGG View Post
You will have a great time at either resort, but with six kids, if you still have the flexibility, I would strongly suggest that you reconsider the Grand Wailea.
I concur with both of these sentiments (though I am only Gold with Hilton) Hyatt treats us much better, but I cannot see how the kids, especially the younger ones, would not prefer all of the incredible water entertainment options of the Grand Wailea.

And both beaches are within easy walking distance of the other, so even while staying at the Grand Wailea, you can enjoy the Andaz beach whenever you like.

We ended up breaking up our five day stay into three nights at Andaz and two at GW. Even though all of us preferred the Andaz as a hotel, we were all glad that we also got to experience all that the Grand Wailea had to offer.
Old Dec 13, 14, 6:27 pm

I concur with both of these sentiments (though I am only Gold with Hilton) Hyatt treats us much better, but I cannot see how the kids, especially the younger ones, would not prefer all of the incredible water entertainment options of the Grand Wailea.

And both beaches are within easy walking distance of the other, so even while staying at the Grand Wailea, you can enjoy the Andaz beach whenever you like.

We ended up breaking up our five day stay into three nights at Andaz and two at GW. Even though all of us preferred the Andaz as a hotel, we were all glad that we also got to experience all that the Grand Wailea had to offer.
I have 7 nights in Maui in January. I initially booked 5 at Andaz and 2 at Grand Wailea for a meeting at GW (based on points availabilty.) My husband pitched a fit when we had to pack up and move rooms due to construction at another Hyatt and soured the trip for the rest of us. I switched to 7 nights C&P w/DSU at Andaz. Am glad I did since it looks like C&P w/DSU won't be available again any time soon. The kids will not know what they are missing and I get to have a more peaceful trip.

We don't all have an unlimited budget and have to work with a certain set of circumstances. I can only imagine that family of 8 with 8 plane tickets, 2 rooms per night, 24 meals/ day adds up and require creative use of $, miles, points. This is also a time when Hyatt Diamond benefits is especially important. I believe ZbigFAM is also spending time at Hyatt Regency, which I believe is more kid friendly.
Old Dec 18, 14, 1:33 am

Just arrived.... Was able to get a suite upgrade on points at the front desk. We are in the hema wing... Suite connects with our second king room. Lots of space this place is great. BTW the outrigger rides are no longer free they cost 20pp. Also using the Kihei option, hopefully the van is still there tomorrow morning! Will report back.
Old Dec 18, 14, 8:04 am

Just arrived.... Was able to get a suite upgrade on points at the front desk. We are in the hema wing... Suite connects with our second king room. Lots of space this place is great. BTW the outrigger rides are no longer free they cost 20pp. Also using the Kihei option, hopefully the van is still there tomorrow morning! Will report back.
Glad you got your suite after all that effort! Got to love the FT junkies (myself included) who are still logging on while on vacation.
Old Dec 19, 14, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thucanhho View Post
Got to love the FT junkies (myself included) who are still logging on while on vacation.
I'm endebted to this thread for clueing me in on the free laundry facilities on the last night of our stay!
Old Dec 19, 14, 2:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
I'm endebted to this thread for clueing me in on the free laundry facilities on the last night of our stay!
Pretty sure at the end of every trip, I'd rather be naked staying in Hawaii, than having clean clothes and having to leave
Old Dec 19, 14, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sam_goh View Post
Pretty sure at the end of every trip, I'd rather be naked staying in Hawaii
Let me know if you find a way to make that happen!
Old Dec 19, 14, 10:40 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Let me know if you find a way to make that happen!
Are you asking for locations where one can comfortably be naked? And the requirement would include ability to sleep in the location? I can provide such for Maui and Kauai... as this is a hotel thread I assume PM would be more appropriate?
Old Dec 19, 14, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canyonleo View Post
Are you asking for locations where one can comfortably be naked?
I also require free breakfast.

Search this Thread