Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by akp
I'm traveling to Maui in March and have held off booking until reviews on Andaz Maui came out.

The "complaints" reviled by some in this thread are critical information to me.

Techno music makes me insane, and if that is the vibe at Andaz Maui I want to book elsewhere. (My husband and I stayed at a Renaissance in Miami that had pounding techno from 10am until 10pm. No amount of white noise / fans / headphones we had at our disposal could block it.

Uncomfortable balcony furniture is also an important issue (which will likely not change, as the music could). I want to be able to relax and enjoy the view that I'm paying dearly for.

Thanks to all who have reported their experiences.

Anita
You should absolutely book elsewhere. While you're in Maui check out the hotel so you can book next time. But definitely don't book in March!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:46 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by thestallion123
What are the cabana charges like at the pool?
I was told by phone that there are three cabanas at the main pool, no charge, first come first serve. Not sure if there are other cabanas elsewhere, or if they come with a charge.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:23 pm

And I was told, on property, that there's a $200.00 per day charge for the cabanas but that includes lunch "made in the cabana", whatever that means. It also included soft drinks.

Unless this policy has rapidly changed, it should be verified before you count on gratis cabana use. I'm guessing there's a reason no one was in them.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:46 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I'll say my cabana info above was given by the woman who answers the main hotel phone, so take what she said with a grain of salt.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire/ Inner Circle
Just checked in a few hours ago and the views are gorgeous. The pictures don't do it justice. All the staff we've come in contact with have been wonderful. Chose points for the diamond amenity at check in after finding out that the only other option for today's amenity is "pork rillettes with mango chutney" and no wine or other beverage included. When we got to our room we found the pork rillettes already waiting for us as a gift for my husband's birthday, and although the gesture was appreciated, after sampling it we were glad we had chosen the points amenity.
Late check out was not mentioned during check in so I called downstairs to confirm it. The woman who answered politely told me I would need to call back the evening before departure because the room we are occupying is already booked. Not at all surprising given the location that this place may be classified as a resort and thus late checkout is not guaranteed for Diamonds, but the property is not listed on http://www.hyattresorts.com and I don't know where else resort status can be verified.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:30 am

Programs: United 1k | Hyatt Diamond?, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime) | IHG Platinum | Avis Chairman
Tonight is my last night in Hawaii, tomorrow night me and my family will head home. We had a wonderful 18-day trip that began at the Grand Hyatt Kauai, then Oahu staying at the JW Ihilani, and finished at the Andaz Wailea.

This is a new hotel and there are some things to work out. Yes, there is construction happening at the villas and at Morimoto's. There is noise from this construction. There are a lot of staff members serving a small number of guests. This is an expensive area and prices do reflect what I anticipate and commonly see at high-end hotels.

The property is beautiful and sits on a wonderful beach. In fact the beach makes me wonder why I ever stayed in Lahina or Kanapali. There is nice snorkeling at the hotel (straight out from the beach ~30 yrds then head left there is a nice reef). The pools have a lot of seating and with the small number of guests the tiers offer a lot of privacy. As we traveled with my wife, 2 year old daughter, nanny, and myself we found the suite to be comfortable. The furnishings and overall design of the room, common spaces, and pool are all very nice.

While there was a lot of staff on duty they each were friendly and caring AND genuinely wanted to assist. There are some staff who are efficient and did their job well and there was staff who were top notch. My daughter is very outgoing and happy to offer an "Aloha" and high-five to everyone. Many staff members looked out for her and sometimes even "prepared" for her by having a flower, crayons, or something else special pre-set or waiting. We love the GH Kauai and the wonderful staff there, but no one (even the waitress we had four days in a row at the pool) remembered her or went out of their way for her. Want to make a mom and dad feel special? Take care of their kids.

We met a number of guests at the property who shared similar positive thoughts of their experience. The Andaz Wailea will hit their stride and work through any kinks that exist. IT will be on our list of hotels to return to. Their vibe is warm and modern that is targeted for upscale guests looking for something other than a Ritz Carlton or St. Regis experience.

I will share more detail when I return home, for now I am going to get some rest so we can enjoy our last day tomorrow.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by jisaac

The Andaz Wailea will hit their stride and work through any kinks that exist.
Unfortunately, most of the Andaz properties never made it to that point resulting in rather disappointing reviews and nothing more than solid 3-4 star properties and without any real chance to be more, e.g. being closer to the quality of service offered by a Park Hyatt.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by FD1971
Unfortunately, most of the Andaz properties never made it to that point resulting in rather disappointing reviews and nothing more than solid 3-4 star properties and without any real chance to be more, e.g. being closer to the quality of service offered by a Park Hyatt.
Past performance of OTHER Andaz properties is certainly no guarantee of future results of THIS Andaz. Pessimistic much?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: United 1k | Hyatt Diamond?, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime) | IHG Platinum | Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by FD1971
That's a sad outlook you've chosen. I'll return next Summer and have little doubt this property will be a solid choice running very well. They have a great team and a lot riding on the success of this hotel.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:29 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
We're checking in tomorrow and will do a full TR.

Meanwhile I look at it this way. I expect a W hotel with better service. This is not a Park Hyatt and is not a St Regis (where we currently are). It also means that with low expectations that I can be pleasantly surprised or even wowed.

We all know that Andaz's aren't great with the GP Program and generally have to educate them, but this is a new property, it looks stunning and we're rather excited!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by welch
And I was told, on property, that there's a $200.00 per day charge for the cabanas but that includes lunch "made in the cabana", whatever that means. It also included soft drinks.

Unless this policy has rapidly changed, it should be verified before you count on gratis cabana use. I'm guessing there's a reason no one was in them.
Originally Posted by nnn
I was told by phone that there are three cabanas at the main pool, no charge, first come first serve. Not sure if there are other cabanas elsewhere, or if they come with a charge.
Sounds like no charge, no cabana YMMV

Its a cozy high end boutique hotel. Expect excellent service without a doubt on a part of the Hawaiian islands that's considered heaven on earth best location. Just remember with a smaller hotel comes limited amenities compared to larger hotels.

My wife to be honest didn't want me to book next year, although without a doubt I would definitely like to try it out. So we'll see if we tack on top of the 28 nights I've booked at GHK and HR Waikiki.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 3:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by jisaac
That's a sad outlook you've chosen. I'll return next Summer and have little doubt this property will be a solid choice running very well. They have a great team and a lot riding on the success of this hotel.
If the international division of Hyatt does not manage to get the Andaz hotels running, I have serious doubts about the US, even if the US Andaz´ are managed by Hyatt International like their US Park Hyatt counterparts.

But maybe I did not understand the concept just yet.

What I have read so far, sounds like a 3 Diamond property with some design features priced like a 5 Diamond property.

Somebody has called that ´typical for Hawaii´.

I call it typical for Andaz properties.

Will be there next month, but probably just for a night or two, the former Hyatt, the Grand Wailea is a tough competitor.

Maybe they manage to have some cushions for the chairs on the balcony by then.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:16 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
We checked in yesterday for a week. So far we've had a great time.

Check in agent Ben was spectacular. I left my credit card at the ABC store up the road, and when he went to check us in I realised I'd left it there. He rang them and I drove back up to get it where the manager held it in the safe (I figured it was quicker for me to drive our car that was still out the front).

He kept my husband company for 20 mins or so, and when I got back gave us every piece of information we wanted to know, including local gay venues. He gave us a tour of the resort and was extremely welcoming and cheerful.

We had 2 reservations, first night on GP points, other six nights on the WAILEA rate code with a suite upgrade. It appeared that they hadn't merged the reservations and when I told Ben that we had a room move he disappeared out the back and sorted out for us to have the suite for the whole week. Major plus.

The suite is on the top floor and has spectacular views. The hotel is stunning, and the feed of a very high standard.

As for the above post about the 'Andaz farm,' the property sources local fruits, vegetables and meats from a local farm. It is not an Andaz farm, but on the other side of Maui and another sign of the property supporting local businesses.

Will post more after we check out but the hotel takes the environment and supporting local suppliers and staff very seriously.

There are no issues with the lights or blinds for us at all. The music at the bar is live, acoustic and very good. It tends to quieten down around 9:15PM, however with the balcony doors shut it's not an issue.

The GM introduced himself on our second day and we met his delightful wife. I told him he should be very proud and he knows of FT!

Overall, I would not hesitate to stay here. For us it beats the St Regis Princeville by far.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by m0hamed
As for the above post about the 'Andaz farm,' the property sources local fruits, vegetables and meats from a local farm. It is not an Andaz farm, but on the other side of Maui and another sign of the property supporting local businesses.
These comments really crack me up.... It's an island, where else do you think they get the majority of their fresh products if they can help it :-). But it's good PR.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:02 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by RTW1
These comments really crack me up.... It's an island, where else do you think they get the majority of their fresh products if they can help it :-). But it's good PR.
Perhaps, but we're foodies and the food is gourmet and upscale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.