Beware-Expired Bonus Nights

Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExP 5MM, DL Lifetime Medallion 2.3MM
Beware-Expired Bonus Nights

I just learned that the "Bonus nights good at any Hyatt in the world" that I got with a Hyatt Visa Signature Card expired after a year. It was probably written in 6 point type somewhere, but I had no idea they expired. Most programs don't have things expire as long as the account is active. Beware if you get the Hyatt Visa Signature Card, the nights go "poof" after a year. Gotta go now...have to make another reservation at Hilton where the awards won't disappear.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrBillAtwood
..Most programs don't have things expire as long as the account is active. Beware if you get the Hyatt Visa Signature Card, the nights go "poof" after a year. Gotta go now...have to make another reservation at Hilton where the awards won't disappear.
That is completely untrue.

Free night from Marriott CC expires after 6 mo.
Fairmont and Priority club - one year.

As for awards at Hilton... well, best of luck to you there! (and of course dont forget to use that one within a year as well)

Weekend Night Certificate

Weekend night certificate(s) is (are) earned after purchase requirements have been met with the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card. A weekend night certificate is valid for one (1) weekend night, standard accommodation, at any property in the Hilton HHonors portfolio, subject to availability, excluding those listed at HHonors.com/weekendcertificate. Weekend night certificate is valid at participating hotels in the Hilton HHonors portfolio for twelve (12) months after the date of issuance, as noted on the certificate. The weekend night certificate applies to one (1) weekend night in a standard room and corresponding taxes; and does not apply to gratuities, resort fees or incidental charges. You must follow all terms stated on the certificate when redeeming or certificate may not be honored. For complete Terms and Conditions, please refer to your certificate. Eligible purchases made from additional cards on the primary cardmember's account will count toward the primary cardmember's qualifying spend; however, additional cardholders are not eligible to earn a certificate. Your Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card account must be open and current at the time the certificate is issued.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:13 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
You are confusing promotional free nights earned from credit cards or promos with points.

The Hyatt free nights from the Chase card are viewable online when you sign into your GP account, and the expiration date is clearly shown online.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Thanks OP for reminding us to use those perks in a reasonable time period. Same goes for miles which devalue over time!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Same goes for miles which devalue over time!
or as programs like to say, "enhanced"
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:35 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
OP, you are incorrect about expiry; this happens with just about every program. I suggest that you start using AwardWallet.com to track your programs. The website shows you when everything expires.

I've had a few free nights, miles, points, etc expire on me and have found that AwardWallet is the best way for me to manage the 18 programs that I'm enrolled in. For instance, when my United miles are getting ready to expire, I simply get a few MileagePlus dining points at some greasy spoon.

Some programs don't allow AwardWallet to automatically download information (airlines), so you have to manually update your data but the website lets you know when you're close to losing points or freebies.

Edit: Just updated AwardWallet. It looks like HHonors system's having problems tonite - my 113K pts vanished. I logged on to the HHonors website and my account reads zero - I just had a revenue stay at a Hilton property on 4th of July. I'll recheck my account in the morning to make sure my points are restored.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Aug 4, 2013 at 12:46 am
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by DrBillAtwood
I just learned that the "Bonus nights good at any Hyatt in the world" that I got with a Hyatt Visa Signature Card expired after a year. It was probably written in 6 point type somewhere, but I had no idea they expired. Most programs don't have things expire as long as the account is active. Beware if you get the Hyatt Visa Signature Card, the nights go "poof" after a year. Gotta go now...have to make another reservation at Hilton where the awards won't disappear.
Every "Free Night" certificate that I can think of that I have received (or looked into getting) had an expiration of at most a year. This includes in the past couple of years:
Hyatt CC signup
Hyatt CC annual night
Hilton Reserve Weekend night signup
Hilton Reserve Weekend night annual spend
Starwood free resort nights
Starwood free weekend nights
Starwood platinum requalification discount coupon
Marriott megabonus

I also have a couple of reservations at Hilton locked in at ~half of the current points price for the rooms. Awards would certainly have "disappeared" had I not been paying attention and booked before the big change!

Points do not typically expire while you remain active in North American programs. Earned or promotional awards, often inherently more generous, do expire in order to limit liabilities. You get a more valuable award but need to use it within a limited time window. Everybody wins.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.