Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Siem Reap REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Siem Reap REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 11:17 pm

Conclusion: poor English (same as Zach Honig's on TPG)
Old May 2, 2016, 9:30 pm

When I try to book this hotel for 2 nights during the last week of December this year, I get an error message that no rooms are available.
I highly doubt a hotel is already sold out 8 months out.
Something must be going on...
Did anyone successfully book a room at this hotel recently for a stay at the end of the year?
Old May 3, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Very excited by the plethora of positive reviews for Siem Reap PH. Have a booking there in Jan.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by agjil
When I try to book this hotel for 2 nights during the last week of December this year, I get an error message that no rooms are available.
I highly doubt a hotel is already sold out 8 months out.
Something must be going on...
Did anyone successfully book a room at this hotel recently for a stay at the end of the year?
Could be minimum stay requirements. Try each night separately and then try 3 night, 4 night, etc. Especially if it's over NYE.

-David
Old May 5, 2016, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Could be minimum stay requirements. Try each night separately and then try 3 night, 4 night, etc. Especially if it's over NYE.

-David
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know there were minimum stay requirements.
I just tried searching for a room with different number of nights, and it looks like the min. stay is 3 nights at this hotel.
...and the price is 400+ USD per night.

Seriously?
Considering what the average hotel price in Siem Reap is, this price tag is just crazy.

No rooms available using points either.
I guess this hotel is REALLY popular?
Old May 5, 2016, 9:55 pm

You did say "end of year", didn't you?

That's why I guessed there might be minimum stay requirements for NYE period.

A lot of people like the Le Meridien in Siem Reap. There's lots of other nice properties there.

-David
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: Lots
I'm wrapping up a one night stay here on points and I have to say that I don't get all the love for this hotel. It's been an adequate stay but nothing special. Lots of minor issues in the room - stains on the couch in the living room, some type of drip on the bench thing at the foot of the bed overnight when I had the AC and fan on (which was necessary due to the noise coming from the street - I'm across from the KFC and made the room freezing). One of the ceiling lights in the bedroom that I could not get to turn off until I hit the master switch at the entrance (the bedroom master switch had no effect).

Breakfast was mediocre in my opinion - it's a very Westernized breakfast - egg station, salad, tons of bread, fruit, cheese, salmon and two choices of dim sum. The cooked to order items have a options for more local food - I order the Khmer noodles which are supposed to be in a fish curry and it was a bland mass of soggy noodles. No idea if that is what it was supposed to taste like or if I got a bad batch but after three bites I gave up. Even adding lime juice and hot peppers couldn't make it good. It's certainly better than what you'll get in the States but compared to other Asian properties I was very disappointed.

The bathroom is great - huge tub with a tv, rain shower - great temperature control and water pressure. Nice fruit plate waiting for me at arrival - mini bananas, rambutan and an orange plus some jars of snacks in the coffee area - the banana and vegetable chips were quite tasty. And the welcome lemonade at check in was delicious!

It's not a bad hotel by any stretch, I was just expecting more based on the reviews (and was hoping for something similar to PH SGN). I'm moving on to Le Meridien tonight since the rate was better. From reading the reviews the main complaint there seems to be that its used as a hotel for tour groups - there was enough noise here from the hall, street, and just the sheer amount of people at breakfast that I don't know that that will make a difference.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Please post your thoughts on the comparison between the Park and the Le Meridien. I'll look for your comments over there.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:29 am

I'm staying 3 nights in Siem Reap in early February 2017 and I'm trying to decide if I want to stay here. I have Hyatt Diamond and wanted to book a P+C rate and then upgrade to a suite, but it turns out that there's no award availability at all for my dates. I would then have to book a cash rate (about US$300/nt after taxes for advance purchase, about $80 more for flexible rate) and then apply the upgrade (Park Suite is available). Diamond would give me the suite (not too important), club lounge access and breakfast. Or I could book one of the local non-chain properties at a substantial discount, but miss out on Diamond perks. Is the PH worth the extra $100/nt charge vs other hotels in the immediate area?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: EB*D, Hilton Diamond, Carlson Gold Elite, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I'm staying 3 nights in Siem Reap in early February 2017 and I'm trying to decide if I want to stay here. I have Hyatt Diamond and wanted to book a P+C rate and then upgrade to a suite, but it turns out that there's no award availability at all for my dates. I would then have to book a cash rate (about US$300/nt after taxes for advance purchase, about $80 more for flexible rate) and then apply the upgrade (Park Suite is available). Diamond would give me the suite (not too important), club lounge access and breakfast. Or I could book one of the local non-chain properties at a substantial discount, but miss out on Diamond perks. Is the PH worth the extra $100/nt charge vs other hotels in the immediate area?
1. Consider to use Points&Cash+DSU.
2. There are no lounge at Park Hyatt. But the breakfast perk is nice.
3. IMO The hotel are one of the nicest in the area, and I have lived in SR before and know well LeAngkor, Raffles an the others.
4. Location: Waking distance to most stuff in town. Other 5* more scattered around. Which of course can be nice as well, depends what you like.
5. Although I did not get upgraded further to a better suite in my two stays, several here reports that they have got.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:36 am

As already mentioned, there is no club lounge.
Breakfast is at the restaurant.
It is a very nice hotel. However, I am not sure if it is worth paying 100$ more compared to another 5 star.

If you do not need the stay credit, then stay elsewhere.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Insomnia4u
1. Consider to use Points&Cash+DSU.
2. There are no lounge at Park Hyatt. But the breakfast perk is nice.
3. IMO The hotel are one of the nicest in the area, and I have lived in SR before and know well LeAngkor, Raffles an the others.
4. Location: Waking distance to most stuff in town. Other 5* more scattered around. Which of course can be nice as well, depends what you like.
5. Although I did not get upgraded further to a better suite in my two stays, several here reports that they have got.
I have a res for later in the year (Sept for what it's worth - low season) and was looking to add on but no P+C available for anytime around there or other random days i checked.

It's definitely one of the best. I didn't care for the staff at Raffles and didn't have a good stay at La Residence but now the latter is under total renovation, scheduled to reopen in Nov, so that will be interesting to see.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by beachfan
Please post your thoughts on the comparison between the Park and the Le Meridien. I'll look for your comments over there.
I just had a very middling stay at LM.

In comparison the PH (diamond) breakfast wins hands down. LM is poorly staffed and food quality on the low side. We had problems with a/c (fixed quickly), hot water (never fixed), internet (sporadically working) and noises in the room that led to jokes the ceiling would cave in on us.

LM bills itself as the closest to the temples but this is entirely irrelevant as you'll need transpo for the sights but, because of it's location, you're likely to need to transpo to food etc (unless it's a cool day or you don't mind sweating or you have the time).

The PH is optimally located. Period.

While I've never had a non-suite at PH i can't foresee any reason to favor LM barring a situation where the guest is SPG Plat and HY non-Diamond - with the one glaring exception revolving around cost for which LM is 1/3 the price.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
I stayed at both (and got an upgrade to a room with private pool at PH).

I would stay neither have spectacular staff, but if you happen to be Japanese maybe you can get better service at LM (they have some staff which are Japanese. Presume because of Japanese tour groups? Which means they provide Japanese-level service). PH has the closer location, which means walking distance, but that also means very poor scenery in terms of surroundings (KFC is no joke. On the pool side you get to look out at scaffolding).
I think both have nice grounds, though PH is nicer (and smaller). LM has an interior garden that is very nice, and the seating in the lobby is great as well (PH has no lobby, effectively).
The pools are definitely nicer at PH than LM.
Both have no lounges (at LM you get free drinks as platinum anytime though). If you want more local food the spread at LM is better.

I'm struggling to remember which room was bigger (had a suite at both), but definitely LM seemed more spacious (had a corner room, living room was large and separated with a door).

Whether the price difference is worth it ... No way to answer that. Like how you can get amazing street food, and also have fine dining at ten times the price in Siem Reap and not be as good.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: Lots
The Diamond perks really just consist of breakfast, which is on par with a good lounge breakfast at other Asian properties but pales in comparison to full restaurant options (say PH Saigon or any of the Conrads). I just did one night at PH and 2 at LM and while the PH is definitely a step above, I would value it as closer to a $20 premium max. Throw in how much street noise there was at PH and it's closer to a wash. No way would I pay $300, the rate when I stayed was $150 and I'd still consider that high (I used points but considering the location and comparative cost $150 is the absolute maximum value I could put on the PH).

LM wasn't that much better but it was quieter and cheaper - $120 or so). Neither impressed me enough to want to stay again - If I'm ever back I would consider the Raffles or some other property - the status perks just aren't compelling enough at either property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.