Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt to enter all-inclusive market

Old Jul 19, 13, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Any guesses as to which properties in Mexico will be the first two to switch over to Hyatt?

http://stream.wsj.com/story/latest-h...9/SS-2-281380/
Old Jul 19, 13, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Looks like I may have put up the link incorrectly, so here's the story:

Hyatt Hotels Corp. H -0.75% said it is taking a stake in Playa Hotels & Resorts BV with a $325 million investment, marking its entry into the all-inclusive resort market.

Hyatt will spend $100 million for a 20% ownership stake and $225 million for convertible preferred stock in Playa, a privately held hotel-investment company.

"The all-inclusive segment has grown rapidly over the past 20 years," said Stephen Haggerty, global head of real estate and capital strategy for Hyatt, noting that Playa will enable it to tap that growth.

Playa's hotel portfolio will include 13 resorts totaling about 5,800 rooms across the Dominican Republic, Mexico and Jamaica. Playa will sign franchise agreements with Hyatt for six of the 13 resorts, which will operate under Hyatt brands after renovations are completed.

Under the agreement with Hyatt, Playa will have certain rights to operate Hyatt-branded all-inclusive resorts in five Latin American and Caribbean countries on an exclusive basis through 2018.

Hyatt noted the first two all-inclusive resorts, located in Mexico, will be introduced later this year. Four additional resorts in Jamaica, Mexico and the Dominican Republic are expected to be introduced in 2014 and 2015.

The investment is expected to occur during the third quarter.

Hyatt is among a number of U.S. hotel companies that are aggressively expanding overseas amid a global recovery in demand, especially among business travelers. To aid its international-growth strategy, the company has worked to realign its operations into three regions—Asia, the Americas and Europe, Africa and Middle East—supported by a global-operations center.
Old Jul 19, 13, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Gold
When it was a Hyatt, the property in Curacao had an all-inclusive option and I assumed other properties offered similar choices. Now that I type this, I guess the Playa properties are all-inclusive only? Regardless, anything that increases Hyatt's meager footprint in the Caribbean is fine by me. ^
Old Jul 20, 13, 6:17 am
K79

Originally Posted by CopperSteve View Post
Regardless, anything that increases Hyatt's meager footprint in the Caribbean is fine by me. ^
^
Old Jul 20, 13, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Yeah, it'll definitely be great to have more Hyatt options in the Caribbean! There's several already supposedly in the pipeline, but having all-inclusive options on top of that will be nice as well.
Old Jul 20, 13, 5:01 pm

A little disappointed in the overall quality of these properties. They are mid market / mass market - not exactly the higher end of the food chain.
Old Jul 22, 13, 7:56 am

Programs: Hyatt, Fairmont, SPG, AA, WN
I have stayed at the Barcelo Los Cabos. It was completely renovation all the way down to the studs about 4 years ago. It is a very nice property. awesome spa, smart rooms, swim up suites, etc.
Old Jul 22, 13, 8:08 am

Programs: WN CP & A+, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Delta Gold
Great news - keep it up Hyatt!
Old Jul 22, 13, 10:04 am

This is awesome. ^
Old Jul 22, 13, 11:21 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Mastermind View Post
I have stayed at the Barcelo Los Cabos. It was completely renovation all the way down to the studs about 4 years ago. It is a very nice property. awesome spa, smart rooms, swim up suites, etc.
Los Cabos? About time they enter that market.
Old Jul 24, 13, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by carnalismocc View Post
Playa's hotel portfolio will include 13 resorts totaling about 5,800 rooms across the Dominican Republic, Mexico and Jamaica. Playa will sign franchise agreements with Hyatt for six of the 13 resorts, which will operate under Hyatt brands after renovations are completed.
It's interesting to note that exactly six hotels in Playa's current portfolio are identified as "Premium" properties:

http://www.playaresorts.com/ourResorts.php

They currently have 17 hotels, though, and none in Jamaica.
Old Jul 24, 13, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
It's interesting to note that exactly six hotels in Playa's current portfolio are identified as "Premium" properties:

There was a rumor back in May that Playa had bought the Ritz-Carlton property in Jamaica (which closed at the end of that month), and that it would eventually reopen as a Park Hyatt. After reading the news that Hyatt really is teaming up with Playa, looks like that rumor may end up being true.
Old Jul 25, 13, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by dtremit View Post

Of course, it's Playa calling them "premium," not the reviews on TripAdvisor or anywhere else.

I like the concept of an A-I - locking down all expenses (or most of them) before starting the trip. I would have been a lot happier seeing them link up with the higher end - like Grand Velas - and deeming them PH AI resorts.
Old Jul 29, 13, 10:29 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
You have to wonder if ponit stays will be possible, like the old Marriott days..
Old Aug 13, 13, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Looks like the first two AI properties to be rebranded as Hyatts by the end of this year are the Barcelo Los Cabos and the Royal Cancun.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/08/...-inclusive-re/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: