Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Busan - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Busan - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: *G, HGP Plat, IHG/IC Gold
Took a week's vacay to Korea last month, didn't plan much before I arrived at ICN so just sort of winged (wang/wung?) things as I went along. Rented a car and drove around the country and found myself in PHT Busan towards later half of my trip (before reading the reviews here - as you can tell I am not a very active member at FT but will try to change that ).

This was my first stay in a PHT, and was generally blown away in a good way. I realise though, after reading this thread, that my sense about the service staff is not unique and they still have ways to go. Same for the hassling lift system, different lift to go to lobby/guestroom from that to the carpark, and then yet another one to the living/dining room .

I was staying in a Ocean King View and agree that the view of the Gwangan Bridge was spectacular, and not only at night too - the sunrise was beautiful too. Fell in love with the view... I think this defined my stay :-:.

Hardware was great too, although I found it odd that the toilet/bidet was in its own little tiny room, separate from the bath area. Is that something PHT properties do? I have yet to find out but will do so soon when I check out PHT NY & Tokyo within the next month (maybe). Also, thoroughly enjoyed the shower (always had a bit of trouble getting out of it) and the tub, although tub fixtures were a little bit leaky and that's probably something that should not have happened if housekeeping did their proper checks and maintenance..

Only had breakfasts at the living/dining room (so, my confusion with these terms are not unique either...) and while the quality was pretty good, spread was limited and service left much to be desired. I suppose they are lucky I am asian and sort of fall into the gentle/acquiescent stereotype .

Pool was nice, warm jacuzzi nicer (air was a bit chilly for me so warmth was welcome). What's with having only 4 deckchairs though?! While I was there those were easily conquered by a family and there were only lounge sofas at the side which made very little sense.. didn't look into trying the spa or sauna so nothing to add there.

It's true that proximity to conveniences/entertainment is not the best, but being on holiday with wheels made it very easy for me. I had all the time in the world to take the long stroll to the subway when playing tourist (when I didn't feel like hassling with traffic/parking/navigation), but also could at whim take the car out and drive over the beautiful Gwangan Bridge or to Gwangalli Beach if I so desired (which I did)

(All that being said, I might be an anomaly, as most people I know can't find it in themselves to drive in a foreign land where they don't know the native language, so this may not be for everyone...)

All in all, loved PHT Busan, and will unquestionably stay there again should I return to Busan. ^
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ayda
Took a week's vacay to Korea last month, didn't plan much before I arrived at ICN so just sort of winged (wang/wung?) things as I went along. Rented a car and drove around the country and found myself in PHT Busan towards later half of my trip (before reading the reviews here - as you can tell I am not a very active member at FT but will try to change that ).

This was my first stay in a PHT, and was generally blown away in a good way. I realise though, after reading this thread, that my sense about the service staff is not unique and they still have ways to go. Same for the hassling lift system, different lift to go to lobby/guestroom from that to the carpark, and then yet another one to the living/dining room .

Only had breakfasts at the living/dining room (so, my confusion with these terms are not unique either...) and while the quality was pretty good, spread was limited and service left much to be desired. I suppose they are lucky I am asian and sort of fall into the gentle/acquiescent stereotype .

Pool was nice, warm jacuzzi nicer (air was a bit chilly for me so warmth was welcome). What's with having only 4 deckchairs though?! While I was there those were easily conquered by a family and there were only lounge sofas at the side which made very little sense.. didn't look into trying the spa or sauna so nothing to add there.

It's true that proximity to conveniences/entertainment is not the best, but being on holiday with wheels made it very easy for me. I had all the time in the world to take the long stroll to the subway when playing tourist (when I didn't feel like hassling with traffic/parking/navigation), but also could at whim take the car out and drive over the beautiful Gwangan Bridge or to Gwangalli Beach if I so desired (which I did)

(All that being said, I might be an anomaly, as most people I know can't find it in themselves to drive in a foreign land where they don't know the native language, so this may not be for everyone...)

All in all, loved PHT Busan, and will unquestionably stay there again should I return to Busan. ^
You had quite a trip. Thank you for the wonderful addition to this little thread!

I wish the Living Room breakfasts would add more items to the buffet part. It doesn't need to be too much either as small breakfasts with quality ingredients/items can go a long way *cough Hyatt Regency Kyoto.

You're a brave one to just rent a car and drive from ICN to PHT Busan too. ^
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: *G, HGP Plat, IHG/IC Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
You had quite a trip. Thank you for the wonderful addition to this little thread!

I wish the Living Room breakfasts would add more items to the buffet part. It doesn't need to be too much either as small breakfasts with quality ingredients/items can go a long way *cough Hyatt Regency Kyoto.

You're a brave one to just rent a car and drive from ICN to PHT Busan too. ^
Thanks! Yes, was quite the trip - spent a few days in Seoul over Chuseok, drove out east to the coast for two days, launched south to Busan for a couple more days before speeding all the way back to ICN (not before stopping by Everland for a few rides, just for kicks ) for my flight home.

I might be mad...
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:09 pm

Glad I found this thread, as I was seriously considering the property for my next trip to Busan.
Knowing myself with likes and dislikes, it looks like it won`t be a choice for me, unfortunately. I am definitely all about status recognition and little things when it comes to properties which have grand names such as "Park Hyatt".
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kat007
Glad I found this thread, as I was seriously considering the property for my next trip to Busan.
Knowing myself with likes and dislikes, it looks like it won`t be a choice for me, unfortunately. I am definitely all about status recognition and little things when it comes to properties which have grand names such as "Park Hyatt".
Glad to be of service. I hoped this property would get better with age but it seems to be going downhill. The minor imperfections stand out greatly at this property and Mr. Cooper stopped trying to address them.

I told them to make a slight lane for swimmers in the pool in June and still laneless as of late August. I know domestic city dwellers are their bread and butter but out of town travellers deserve better at PH Busan.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:58 pm

Busan is not known for its wide choice of high quality chain hotels.

In fact, the only other major int'l chain luxury hotel would be Westin (unless you're willing to consider the Novotel, and it's for the best that you don't), and the Westin is considerably more dated yet priced on a broadly similar level.

The PH seems far from perfect, but then Busan is even less than perfect for luxury hotel options.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
Busan is not known for its wide choice of high quality chain hotels.

In fact, the only other major int'l chain luxury hotel would be Westin (unless you're willing to consider the Novotel, and it's for the best that you don't), and the Westin is considerably more dated yet priced on a broadly similar level.

The PH seems far from perfect, but then Busan is even less than perfect for luxury hotel options.
I stayed at Westin, and really enjoyed my stay (well, I got the ocean view, very early check in and late check out-the last two due to Gold SPG). The property is quite old, but it`s well taken care of. It felt very comfortable (cozy I would say), and I didn`t have any serious issues (the only thing was that the club receptionists didn`t let me in in sleepers, which was kind of strange, as I always go to clubs/spas/pools in sleepers/bathrobes-even in 5 stars, but there they sent me back to my room to change shoes). Afternoon snack was so-so, but the breakfast was sufficient (very crowded though)

Concierge was great as well-they came to my room with a map, and on the different case, Ms. Vanessa arranged my shopping trip-sincerely wishing for me to find a special gift.

But this time, I was looking for a different setting (although PH and Westin Chosun are pretty close to each other, they are quite different). And yes, there are not many chain hotels there (Novotel/Ibis and Lotte are the only other I know of)
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Paradise Hotel is a member of LHW and right on Haeundae beach. Might be worth checking out for a Busan stay and alternative to Park Hyatt Busan.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Just arrived yesterday with Mrs. Selfish and was pleasantly surprised that we were able to use a suite cert to upgrade to an Executive Marina Suite! Thanks to the experts on this thread (especially Aventine) I was able to contact the GM a month ago.

Of all the PH's we've stayed at (this is the 6th), I'd have to say this was the best designed and most elegant. Breakfast was decent - loved the design of the Dining Room restaurant as well as the view.

Will follow up with pictures and a full trip report with comparisons to the PHS.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:16 pm

Paradise Hotel is a member of LHW and right on Haeundae beach. Might be worth checking out for a Busan stay and alternative to Park Hyatt Busan.
Didn`t even know about it, thanks for the tip. I am not sure if I prefer PH location better, but it looks like the Paradise is located very close to Dalmaji Hill, which is not bad at all.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by MisterSelfish

Will follow up with pictures and a full trip report with comparisons to the PHS.
Please do! Now, I am thinking about PH again
And how "decent" was the breakfast? Any tea time? Other perks?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just arrived yesterday with Mrs. Selfish and was pleasantly surprised that we were able to use a suite cert to upgrade to an Executive Marina Suite! Thanks to the experts on this thread (especially Aventine) I was able to contact the GM a month ago.

Of all the PH's we've stayed at (this is the 6th), I'd have to say this was the best designed and most elegant. Breakfast was decent - loved the design of the Dining Room restaurant as well as the view.

You're welcome. I'm glad the Selfishes enjoyed their Korean journey!
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update:

Stayed here on C+P.
The elevators are still up and down to transfer but that can't ever change.

F&B has definitely gotten better. Level of service and English level at Dining Room is pretty much what I would expect in a Park Hyatt. Nice to see the new executive chef brushing the crumbs off the morning breakfast and there directing things on a Sunday morning. Croissants are more buttery and crisp than they used to be.

I would like to see them venture beyond grilled mushrooms, potatoes, English sausages and ham for breakfast. More variety would be nice!

They know their target audience and its local, affluent families with kids. The hallways, public spaces and pool are just crawling with them. No wonder all the Korean packages include rooms with rollaway beds, late checkouts and space for 2 adults and 3 kids if need be.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Can't you take the elevators in the back of the lobby directly to your floor? We ended up only taking the front elevators once - to the lobby to checkin, and again when the back elevators were too slow (there was a Korea - Canada expo going on at the time).

Totally agree on the breakfast, though to be fair it's very similar to the selection that that PHS has. Their bread selection isn't quite as fresh though (especially croissants, which Asian hotels seem to nail normally).

One feature I enjoyed was the elevators knowing your floor when you used your keycard. Why doesn't every hotel have that?

Update:

Stayed here on C+P.
The elevators are still up and down to transfer but that can't ever change.

F&B has definitely gotten better. Level of service and English level at Dining Room is pretty much what I would expect in a Park Hyatt. Nice to see the new executive chef brushing the crumbs off the morning breakfast and there directing things on a Sunday morning. Croissants are more buttery and crisp than they used to be.

I would like to see them venture beyond grilled mushrooms, potatoes, English sausages and ham for breakfast. More variety would be nice!

They know their target audience and its local, affluent families with kids. The hallways, public spaces and pool are just crawling with them. No wonder all the Korean packages include rooms with rollaway beds, late checkouts and space for 2 adults and 3 kids if need be.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Totally agree on the breakfast, though to be fair it's very similar to the selection that that PHS has. Their bread selection isn't quite as fresh though (especially croissants, which Asian hotels seem to nail normally).

One feature I enjoyed was the elevators knowing your floor when you used your keycard. Why doesn't every hotel have that?
Definitely love the truly smart card as well. Did you ever eat at the Living Room? If so, how was the service? We had the weirdest server who only spoke to us in Korean but English to other foreigners. She also didn't listen very well when placing the order. It was unfair of her to think my wife would be her translator. Dining room on the other hand are fluent or confident enough not to be rude like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.