Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Busan - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Busan - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 23, 2024, 5:13 pm

Programs: HH, *G
Bell Hop Dropped Bags 2 or 3 times during checkin?

Admittedly, this isn't PH-specific, but it happened at the PH Busan a few weeks ago... tl;dr I think the bellhop's actions broke my camera lens. Is there anything I should do? If there's a better place to put this please let know.

We checked in for a 1 night stay (on a Prive rate -- great deal for short stays!), and overall had a great time! Room was nice, we did afternoon tea. Great breakfast spread.

However, when getting out of the taxi we saw one of the bellhops drop a couple of our bags twice. One was my camera bag -- which is quite well padded. But nevertheless, a couple 3-4ft drops onto concrete ain't great! (Normally, I'd try hard to handle it myself, but I figured I wouldn't run into trouble at a fancy place and I was dealing with the cab driver who only started the meter halfway through the ride..sigh.)

For the rest our Korea trip, I think my camera is fine. But last week when I got home the back of the lens was literally falling off, and one of the internal mounts had cracked. $280 bucks for canon to repair it. Now, since the noticeable damage happened ~2-3 weeks after checking out, it's not obviously the hotel's fault...

Anyway, I'm curious -- am I totally out of my lane to send the hotel/GM an email asking to cover part of the repair or hotel stay? (Incidentally, they're roughly equivalent in cost...). Granted, the cost and time without the gear isn't the end of the world, it's just frustrating.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

mball
Search Google for General Manager, Park Hyatt Busan and the name will come up. Good luck.

Last edited by Aventine; Jun 23, 2024 at 6:03 pm
Old Jun 23, 2024, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by mball
Admittedly, this isn't PH-specific, but it happened at the PH Busan a few weeks ago... tl;dr I think the bellhop's actions broke my camera lens. Is there anything I should do? If there's a better place to put this please let know.

We checked in for a 1 night stay (on a Prive rate -- great deal for short stays!), and overall had a great time! Room was nice, we did afternoon tea. Great breakfast spread.

However, when getting out of the taxi we saw one of the bellhops drop a couple of our bags twice. One was my camera bag -- which is quite well padded. But nevertheless, a couple 3-4ft drops onto concrete ain't great! (Normally, I'd try hard to handle it myself, but I figured I wouldn't run into trouble at a fancy place and I was dealing with the cab driver who only started the meter halfway through the ride..sigh.)

For the rest our Korea trip, I think my camera is fine. But last week when I got home the back of the lens was literally falling off, and one of the internal mounts had cracked. $280 bucks for canon to repair it. Now, since the noticeable damage happened ~2-3 weeks after checking out, it's not obviously the hotel's fault...

Anyway, I'm curious -- am I totally out of my lane to send the hotel/GM an email asking to cover part of the repair or hotel stay? (Incidentally, they're roughly equivalent in cost...). Granted, the cost and time without the gear isn't the end of the world, it's just frustrating.
In general, if you notice damage way after a stay, how do you know it was from the bell hop dropping it. I understand if you opened the bag right there and then and started the complaint then. At this point, you just have to eat the cost. This goes with any situation, like if you valet park a car and notice damage later, you can't come back later and say they damaged it, unless you have some proof.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 1:44 pm

Programs: HH, *G
Originally Posted by Aventine
Search Google for General Manager, Park Hyatt Busan and the name will come up. Good luck.
Thanks! Yeah, I have the GM's email. Just wondering what others thought, since I fortunately don't find myself in such situations.

In general, if you notice damage way after a stay, how do you know it was from the bell hop dropping it.
Yeah, that's why I posted... I don't have proof, other than knowing how I've kept things safe. I guess "internal" breakage on things is tough, since it's not obvious and slow.
Maybe I'm just more bothered at myself for not raising any issue earlier -- mistakes happen. Bags are heavier than expected, etc. So I don't really begrudge things happening once, but the second tumble was frustrating.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mball
Thanks! Yeah, I have the GM's email. Just wondering what others thought, since I fortunately don't find myself in such situations.

Yeah, that's why I posted... I don't have proof, other than knowing how I've kept things safe. I guess "internal" breakage on things is tough, since it's not obvious and slow.
Maybe I'm just more bothered at myself for not raising any issue earlier -- mistakes happen. Bags are heavier than expected, etc. So I don't really begrudge things happening once, but the second tumble was frustrating.
You can ask them to review CCTV for the day that you think it happened but so much time has elapsed that the hotel would probably not be inclined to reimburse anything. I would suggest submitting a claim to any travel insurance you had.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.