FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Mediterranee REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1476040-hyatt-regency-nice-palais-de-la-mediterranee-review-master-thread.html)

honey4life12 Jun 14, 2013 10:39 am

Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Mediterranee REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hadn't seen any reviews on the HR in Nice so I thought I'd start the thread.

Spouse and I recently stayed here for a night on points. It's a category 5 redemption and we thought it was a solid redemption value (rates usually in the 300-400 euro range). It's located off the main promenade by the beach. It doesn't have it's own beach but contracts with one of the beaches across the street for 26 euro for a chair, towel and umbrella. Parts of the beach nearby are public as well.

The public spaces are well decorated and feel like a grand hotel. The hallways to the rooms and the rooms themselves are why it's a category 5 in my opinion - slightly outdated and in need of a refresh. Also, while the people we encountered were nice or exceptional, the training still seems to be on par for a HR instead of a GH or PH property.

The breakfast buffet for Diamonds is done on the third level restaurant. It was difficult to get a seat out on the terrace overlooking the street and beach but there is also seating inside. It's a very basic buffet spread but you can fill up with some options and an omelet station allows you to order eggs however you'd like them cooked. They had a water/juice area, which was handy for refills, and brought coffee/tea as needed. They upgraded us to the highest level non-suite (as the GH Cannes had done) which I thought was nice of both properties and in line with the benefit that one has to fight for at several other Hyatt properties.

It's a short walk over to the Old Town in Nice, and we'd stay again if we're back in the area. All in all, the transition to Hyatt seemed to be going well and it was a good use of 18K points.

OsakaWino Jun 14, 2013 11:15 pm

Thanks for the review. We're thinking of whether we'd like to go to Nice or Cannes next year and will be looking forward comparing this with upcoming reviews for Cannes.

Andaz5 Jun 15, 2013 12:12 am

The hotel was just branded a Hyatt and a major renovation is planned... review is premature :rolleyes:if you are looking for the Hyatt Touch.. wait till the renovation is done. I"m sure many of the old staff is still there, those who will embrace the Hyatt Touch will stay... those who can't will leave.

I never visit a hotel that has just been sold/re branded as in most cases the previous owner spent little to upkeep the property... and it's still the old hotel.

Originally Posted by honey4life12 (Post 20923023)

The public spaces are well decorated and feel like a grand hotel. The hallways to the rooms and the rooms themselves are why it's a category 5 in my opinion - slightly outdated and in need of a refresh. Also, while the people we encountered were nice or exceptional, the training still seems to be on par for a HR instead of a GH or PH property.

peteropny Jun 15, 2013 8:00 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino (Post 20926386)
Thanks for the review. We're thinking of whether we'd like to go to Nice or Cannes next year and will be looking forward comparing this with upcoming reviews for Cannes.

Cannes was reviewed by the same member yesterday.

peteropny Jun 15, 2013 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Andaz5 (Post 20926517)
The hotel was just branded a Hyatt and a major renovation is planned... review is premature :rolleyes:if you are looking for the Hyatt Touch.. wait till the renovation is done. I"m sure many of the old staff is still there, those who will embrace the Hyatt Touch will stay... those who can't will leave.

I never visit a hotel that has just been sold/re branded as in most cases the previous owner spent little to upkeep the property... and it's still the old hotel.

While some of this may be true, the property is now a Hyatt and reviews are welcome now and when renovations are completed.

MSPeconomist Jun 15, 2013 10:09 am

Sometimes staying during the transition can be a way to earn points and benefits on a good rate or to use points in an effective way. Of course the hotel will be different after renovations and even to some extent after staff have more experience in Hyatt ways, but in the meantime the property can work very well for some guests, including Hyatt elites.

honey4life12 Jun 15, 2013 11:48 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino (Post 20926386)

Hope you have a good trip. Lots more to do in the Nice area (bus/drive to nearby towns along the coast and Monaco, Old Town, etc) but we thought it was easy to get around by public transport in the area as well.

honey4life12 Jun 15, 2013 12:05 pm

I hadn't heard a major renovation was planned here just a normal one (compared to turning the Hotel du Louvre into an Andaz). Since the announcement had been back in February and it's been available for over a month to book, I had hoped there'd be some Hyatt training in personnel in place. We also wanted to stay in Nice and it was nice to have a rare Hyatt choice in Europe. I thought it was a fine use of 18K points in Europe, especially compared to other options in Nice. Can't wait to see it after the remodel!

honey4life12 Jun 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 20927998)
Sometimes staying during the transition can be a way to earn points and benefits on a good rate or to use points in an effective way. Of course the hotel will be different after renovations and even to some extent after staff have more experience in Hyatt ways, but in the meantime the property can work very well for some guests, including Hyatt elites.

That's what we found. They let us check in very early, gave us a great room and we had the 4 pm checkout benefit. They also held our bags for our afternoon excursion and dinner before stopping back in to retrieve them.

Also thought it could be helpful to have a review point out for people traveling in the next few weeks to months, before the renovations are done. I didn't see any workers or equipment out that showed renovations were in process and summer is a busy time in France.

SanDiego1K Jun 15, 2013 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by honey4life12 (Post 20928400)
Also thought it could be helpful to have a review point out for people traveling in the next few weeks to months, before the renovations are done. I didn't see any workers or equipment out that showed renovations were in process and summer is a busy time in France.

Very much so. It's great to know what the Hyatt options are along the French Riviera. Yes, they will improve, but my travel doesn't get put on hold til every hotel finishes its planned renovation.

Andaz5 Jun 15, 2013 8:39 pm

It really disappointing at times seeing the lack of hotel industry knowledge on this board (FLYER TALK)... You really think in a week or a few months after a hotel gets a new owner or new hotel name over the front door...new highly trained staff, carpet and wall paper is in transformation :confused::confused::confused:

Renovations take time...like other hotels leaders, Marriott, Hilton, Trump... Hyatt is going to hire consultants, designers, and a transformation company to manage the CHANGE.

If you are staying at these hotels now and in the next few months... you are staying at the old hotel... the Hyatt Touch has not even begun.!!!

S

[QUOTE

Also thought it could be helpful to have a review point out for people traveling in the next few weeks to months, before the renovations are done. I didn't see any workers or equipment out that showed renovations were in process and summer is a busy time in France.[/QUOTE]

OsakaWino Jun 15, 2013 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by honey4life12 (Post 20928337)
Hope you have a good trip. Lots more to do in the Nice area (bus/drive to nearby towns along the coast and Monaco, Old Town, etc) but we thought it was easy to get around by public transport in the area as well.

Thanks. We'll definitely take a good look at Nice. And thanks for the review of GH Cannes as well, which I didn't see until after I commented here.

honey4life12 Jun 17, 2013 7:16 am

Yes, no in-depth hotel knowledge here. However, the GH Cannes seems to already have the Hyatt touch and felt just like other good GH properties we've stayed at around the world.

Originally Posted by Andaz5 (Post 20930237)
It really disappointing at times seeing the lack of hotel industry knowledge on this board (FLYER TALK)... You really think in a week or a few months after a hotel gets a new owner or new hotel name over the front door...new highly trained staff, carpet and wall paper is in transformation :confused::confused::confused:

Renovations take time...like other hotels leaders, Marriott, Hilton, Trump... Hyatt is going to hire consultants, designers, and a transformation company to manage the CHANGE.

If you are staying at these hotels now and in the next few months... you are staying at the old hotel... the Hyatt Touch has not even begun.!!!

S

[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

RTW1 Jun 17, 2013 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Andaz5 (Post 20930237)

Oh... stupid us, that we could assume that businesses would be professional and actually prepare such re-brandings.

SanDiego1K Jun 17, 2013 7:46 am

Folks, I don't understand why this thread has some acidic responses. It's really unnecessary. honey4life12 reported on 3 hotels that Hyatt has just added to the Hyatt chain. I was delighted to read each of those reports including this one. Of course no work has been done on any of them. The OP knows that. All of us know that. I consider it a great benefit to the Hyatt aficionados to know what to expect in each of the properties now. This might be the year we're going to the French Riviera. We might have Hyatt points we want to use. Or we might want to earn Hyatt points and stay credits. And then those who stay after training occurs or renovation is done can report back. But to tell the OP that a review is premature is simply to make that person and others who read it pull back from giving more reports. That's not the way to benefit FlyerTalkers. Let's carry on talking about the hotel, the stay experience, and any questions that folks have for the OP or anyone else who has stayed.