Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Paris Etoile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Paris Etoile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Sounds a bit like other properties right after Hyatt takes them over - especially as far as the infrastructure items. As for the service - they would do well to borrow some of the staff from the PH - but that wouldn't do much for their morale. Hopefully, the GM will apply at least one of the several tools available to him/her.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I was driving on the Périphérique intérieur a couple days ago and I see that they have put up a huge set of letters near the top of the hotel spelling out "Hyatt Regency Paris", but they chose a poor color which makes it almost invisible against the background. Hopefully it is lit up at night to make it more clear.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
So the lounge is a small, relatively dark room on the 30th floor. You cannot exit the elevator there without your key. Didn't check out evening offerings or breakfast. Some soft drinks in the afternoon. Very friendly attendant.

When we came back to our room sometime between 3:30 and 4 p.m., the key did not work. Had to go back down to get it done again.

Air condition seemed very weak. Had it set to strongest cooling for hours, but the room was still too warm.

The hairdryer in the bathroom is funny: The cable is about 30 cm long. The only way to dry your hair is to stand really close to the wall, bend down (which also means you will have to sort of stand over the toilet) and somehow try to get it done. Not sure what whoever designed this that way was thinking.

At check-out, they wanted me to pay 229 Euros (or something like that). I told them I was on an award stay. The lady went away for a long time, then went to ask a colleague, neither of them could figure it out. I told them to figure it out later and left, as I had to go to the airport. Will be interesting to see if there will be a charge on the credit card.

On the plus side, it's possible to walk from the hotel to the Arc de Triomphe, and the 17th is not bad (I remembered being there as a high school exchange student, not too much seemed to have changed).

But I would not normally return to this hotel. I probably wouldn't have booked it in the first place, if the first review on this thread had not been so positive. I can only warn prospective readers to take that review with a grain of salt and possibly check the reviews on Tripadvisor, too...very mixed, and rightly so.

P.S.: Continental Breakfast can only be had until 10 in the lounge, but they offer the option to get it delivered to the room until 12 (it was a Saturday, not sure if this is the same on weekdays) without extra charge. Some pastries, orange juice, tea. Was fine.

Last edited by Football Fan; Jun 8, 2013 at 3:14 pm
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Alitalia MilleMiglia, Hyatt, Le Meridien
Hi Football Fan,

Thank you for the lounge review. I will book the Club floor next time if it is the same price you paid.

Having enjoyed the Le Meridien Etoile for years, I never stayed at the Concorde Lafayette until it become a Hyatt. For me it was a pleasant surprise.

My preference is to accumulate points with Hyatt, but only when I can spend under 300 Euros/night. This is now possible in Paris.

On Hyatt.com, HR Etoile is category 5 and the PH and Place Madelaine are category 6.

Last edited by gameshow; Jun 10, 2013 at 11:55 pm Reason: Didn't see page 2
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Honestly, i have stated this before, but any amount higher than 150 Euros is plain robbery for this hotel. and it should be a cat 3 at most.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
I'm staying at this hotel for a night today.

Check-out was relatively smooth with an efficient but a bit too talkative reception clerk, never mind, the beautiful weather had put me in a good mood today. I was notified upon check-in that breakfast would cost 24€. I'll give that one a pass given the good breakfast one can get across the street for 10€.
No plat recognition upon check-in but well, plat isn't that impressive, totally agree with you. I asked for a room on a high floor and I got 24th floor, can't complain, the view is truly great. I've never liked the sight of La Defense Business District but it does get better with the sunset from up high.

Room is pretty standard with 220 sq ft. approx. Quite clean with modern though sterile furniture. Bathroom is in a serious need of being refurbished. What kind of hotel still has a shower curtain instead of a glass? Not to mention how the lack of hygiene brought by that kind of things... Bed is comfy, TV works well and so does wi-fi. Until now and apart from the bathroom, I can't complain.
Now then, I'm a bit hungry, let's check room service menu. And here the joke begins... in total 11 dishes (that is for starters, main dishes and desserts altogether), lebanese cuisine only, don't like it? Well, bear with Hyatt. Asked for a club sandwich, was told it wasn't on the menu. Must be the only Hyatt in the world that doesn't have that available. Oh by the way, each main course costs between 39€ and 45€ for: a Chawarma (4€ for the best one in Le Marais district), a kefta or Gambas.
Did I mention I was feeling I was getting robbed there?
I wanted to check the in-room breakfast menu... I'll let you have a look but when you spot the 10€ for an orange juice and 10€ for a tea, you get the picture

Now to sum up.
- If you're paying more than 180€ a night, you would be better off somewhere else.
- The view is nice though even for someone that knows it well.
- Room service is a pure joke and plain robbery.
- Staff is not that helpful from what I could experience.
- Bathrooms need badly to be renovated
- Prices for Breakfast in room

I know Paris' hotels quite well, having lived 23 yrs in Paris and having tried more than 50 different hotels. I would stay here again because I know where to get things to drink, eat and because it's conveniently located but probably only at a low nightly rate, otherwise, it's just not worth the price.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 3:58 am

Notwithstanding the lukewarm reviews, I am considering this property for an upcoming 6-night stay. The diamond confirmed upgrade only goes up to the Executive King and not to the Ambassador Suite. I am also thinking about a home stay somewhere in the Marais. Cost will be more or less the same. I cannot find any info on the EK other than it's 44sqm. Does anyone have experience with other rooms in this hotel or should I just completely steer clear? I am also thinking of doing three nights here and three at the Vendome on a reward. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I should add that this is not my first trip to Paris but it will be for my companion. Also that the trip is in December/January.

Thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
I would stay here again because I know where to get things to drink, eat and because it's conveniently located but probably only at a low nightly rate, otherwise, it's just not worth the price.
I'm curious as to why you feel the hotel is conveniently located, other being close to things that get you away from the hotel (Metro, Air France Bus, Périphérique). I'd say the hotel is rather inconveniently located, except for those transportation options.

Originally Posted by Darren
I should add that this is not my first trip to Paris but it will be for my companion. Also that the trip is in December/January.
Your companion will love you forever if you stay at the Vendome. If you decide to do 3 and 3, make sure you stay at the Vendome second, or you will both be very unhappy.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I'm curious as to why you feel the hotel is conveniently located, other being close to things that get you away from the hotel (Metro, Air France Bus, Périphérique). I'd say the hotel is rather inconveniently located, except for those transportation options.
Well, on business, it's pretty good since there's the 43 bus directly to Gare du Nord to go to London. It's not so far from la Defense and direct via Metro line 1 but still in Paris. I like the fact that it's also near the ring to make it quick to go around Paris.

Of course, that's not my favorite district to stay, which would be near the Place Vendome or the Opera but still, it's convenient for business purposes.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA *G; Delta Diamond; AA EXP; Marriott LT Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Just came back from a stay at this hotel. It needs a lot of work. The lounge is on the 30th floor and if you are not above the 25th floor, you will have to travel up to 25 to switch to the other set of elevators. The hallways are dark and you feel like you're at a bad Vegas hotel. As others have said, the rooms desperately need to be renovated, as the bathrooms are in very bad shape. I got a room with an AC that was too strong and my nose would be runny every time I step out of my room. The door would not close properly and it would take me 3-4 tries to get the room door to close. Service was bad and the hard product is not great. The bar view is nice, but the staff is so rude and the drinks are extremely expensive. The carpet still has the old Concord Lafayette branding...please renovate this hotel, Hyatt.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:49 am

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I just booked a night for july 14, 2014. I figured, since I will be staying with family for that duration, 1 night for the fireworks is enough. I do wonder, being a GP Plat. and paid for a basic room, what are the odds of me getting an upgrade, or guaranteed a view of the tower (for the firework).

Originally, was thinking about using the Chase annual free night, but somehow, that hotel jumped up from cat 4 to cat 5. Bummer.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by flyhen
I just booked a night for july 14, 2014. I figured, since I will be staying with family for that duration, 1 night for the fireworks is enough. I do wonder, being a GP Plat. and paid for a basic room, what are the odds of me getting an upgrade, or guaranteed a view of the tower (for the firework).

Originally, was thinking about using the Chase annual free night, but somehow, that hotel jumped up from cat 4 to cat 5. Bummer.
Plat recognition isn't exceptional here. But you can always ask. The only thing is that I don't think you'll see anything regarding fireworks. The only ones are usually coming from Les Invalides and the Eiffel Tower, both are hidden from the hotel point of view, even from the 16th floor.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Plat recognition isn't exceptional here. But you can always ask. The only thing is that I don't think you'll see anything regarding fireworks. The only ones are usually coming from Les Invalides and the Eiffel Tower, both are hidden from the hotel point of view, even from the 16th floor.
Are you certain that I can't see the fireworks from there? If so, I need to change my plans...
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I find the reviews regarding this property somewhat harsh.

The rooms are indeed small but in a good state of repair, spotless and perfectly adequate for the price. The view over Paris is stunning.
I have stayed in many US Hyatt properties which were much much worse, especially the general atmosphere and service.

As far as the Club Regency is concerned, I agree that the decor is dated but the offerings for evening snacks are excellent, with Taittinger champagne and two kinds of white wines ( Sancerre and another one I forgot about ) and two red, along with soft drinks and juices. And unlike in the US everything is free, including the Champagne.
Again much better that what one can find in the USA.

Upon check in the assistant manager was called to introduce himself, and apologized for the hotel not being up to Hyatt's standards yet, but that the renovations would start next January. I was upgraded to a Deluxe room facing the Eiffel Tower, so great recognition of my Diamond status.
In my room I found a complementary big bottle of Evian and some Macaroons.

I found the hotel to be good value for a Diamond member and would definitely recommend it.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:19 pm

The only thing is that I don't think you'll see anything regarding fireworks. The only ones are usually coming from Les Invalides and the Eiffel Tower, both are hidden from the hotel point of view, even from the 16th floor.
How is the Eiffel hidden from view? I've stayed here twice before it was a Hyatt and had a spectacular view of the tower both times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.