Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Paris Etoile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
The renovated rooms are fine if that is what I had last time. Please remember that the hotel rooms are tiny, so no amount of renos are going to change that. If you have stayed at the old Merldien Montparnasse, you won't be too shocked.

There is a lot of blonde furniture and the bathroom fittings can be updated, but it is serviceable for a few nights if you are alone. I'm not sure I would have been able to spend more than a night with my TH and all of our stuff in the standard sized room.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If no more than two people and having cumbersome luggage, the Air France bus. It drops odd and picks up right on the side of the hotel.

If three persons with such luggage, I would do the AF bus or consider a taxi. If four persons, a taxi if luggage would fit in the trunk.

The only other way I do this transfer -- if not driving in or out myself or doing the above -- may involve the RER+Metro if I'm going to have only very light luggage, travel sort of off-peak and would be using a transport pass for unlimited travel for some fixed period.

I would default to Air France bus for the transfers between the hotel and the airport (in either direction).
Thank you, GUWonder. Completely resonates. (Late with this as I didn't receive emails re this thread.)

miles_navigator - sounds like you're not confused - they are - they don't subscribe to the "feed the eagles and starve the turkeys" marketing philosophy - so they project a confused message. Then again - maybe the turkeys are so bad...
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:30 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by miles_navigator

How does Etoile treat Platinum guests (especially if Diamonds are getting older rooms some times)?
Anyone? I am also platinum and will be staying this week on the Chase free night cert. Curious what I should expect as platinum. Any possibility of upgrade to the Regency club? Am considering canceling this reservation because of the reviews I have read so far and saving my certificate for Asia where there are plenty of category 4 options. Unless there are good bennies here for platinum...
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I have only been here twice and both times I have gotten regency club upgrades as a PLT.

You might need to ask.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WN CP, Hilton GoId, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Citi, Barclay, Chase, Amex, CapOne
Just booked two nights for next summer here using cat 4 certs. Told the rep on the phone that I'd love if we could have one of the renovated rooms instead of the lackluster old Concorde rooms. He busted out laughing, and then apologized, explaining that someone had called in earlier complaining about those same old dirty rooms. Said he'd make a note on the reservation, though he promised to use less "colorful" language than his guest earlier had used on the phone when complaining about the old rooms.

I guess the property is still very inconsistent. Let's hope it's all rectified in 2015-15 the renovations of this massive hotel.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:48 am

I am here next week. I will report back.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 3:16 pm

Another great short stay at the Etoile. We were upgraded to a view room that was renovated. Breakfast was offered, but no time to enjoy it as we had early flights. Lots of great Restos for dinner around hotel to try. We ate at WARD and it was tasty.

There were several huge conventions going on, but someone from the guest relations team came to greet me and welcome me back.

I love this hotel.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
@lalala: We were a little late this year and didn't mange to get a suite booked @ the PHV for next summer. Have been trying that and the Louvre property and the Madeline property.

Any thoughts in terms of should we stick with this reservation we made at this property?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh
@lalala: We were a little late this year and didn't mange to get a suite booked @ the PHV for next summer. Have been trying that and the Louvre property and the Madeline property.

Any thoughts in terms of should we stick with this reservation we made at this property?
If you can get into an ambassador suite, you'll be very happy. If you are in an old suite that hasn't been renovated - two adjoining rooms, you will be disappointed.

Plusses -

The views from the hotel are fantastic
Point redemptions are half of what it is at the Vendome
Rooms can be had for 160 euros, that is a lot of points to save and can buy a lot of Paris treats and dinners
Concierge staff is good and on top of it considering how many guests stay here daily
There is a Regency Club with a very responsive staff and is open all day
They bend over backwards to keep their guests happy (at least that has been my experience)
Public transportation is easy to get to, especially in inclement weather, which in my opinion includes Parisian summers
The No.1. Line will get you to everywhere you need to go if you are trying to hit the major attractions, if not that then the RER will fill in the other bits
There is an awesome grocery store in the mall underneath the hotel which can help offset snack costs
Wifi was decent and easy to connect to
They are renovating the hotel as we speak, so it may be closer to done by the time you get to Paris
There is an air france bus outside the hotel
The taxi to the airport from the hotel if you choose not to take the bus is only 45 Euros
There are a lot of decent restaurants close by
It is a nice quiet walk to the Place D'etoile
Did I mention the views?

The minuses -

This is an enormous hotel, so lines may be long - think HR Waikiki
The rooms can be small and European (lots of built-ins), small tv, no magical shades that come down
You will not get the turn down service that you are used to at the other hotels
The hotel is not full of people that frequent the other hotels, so you don't have to worry about if you are carrying the right purse to lunch
No celebrities stay here - this is a plus in my opinion
The restaurants are not all that great
The hotel is a nice walk to the Place D'etoile, but if you wish to go further (especially in the heat), you may wish to metro or cab to the sites
The club can get very crowded
It is being renovated, so you may not get what you want
It is a hotel that was built in the 70s or even earlier, they can't change that basic infrastructure. It will never be baroque, it will never be the hotel costes.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
@lalala
You mentioned: "If you can get into an ambassador suite, you'll be very happy..."
Nice, but everyone would want to know " How? "
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by suite2suite
@lalala
You mentioned: "If you can get into an ambassador suite, you'll be very happy..."
Nice, but everyone would want to know " How? "
Pay for room, use pts to upgrade
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lalala
Pay for room, use pts to upgrade
Point upgrade books into Executive Suite, not Ambassador Suite. It will be up to hotel discretion to upgrade further. Pay for Ambassador Suite will work, of course.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Point upgrade books into Executive Suite, not Ambassador Suite. It will be up to hotel discretion to upgrade further. Pay for Ambassador Suite will work, of course.
There you go. I was upgraded further.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
@lalala : Thanks for your feedback. We will be sure to ask for an updated room. We were fortunate to be upgraded to an executive suite (1600E a night) during the French Open last year. Will see how this property treats Diamonds for upgrades from the base suite. Based upon your description and that we aren't high brow folks, it doesn't sound like we would be disappointed if something else did not open up. Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh
@lalala : Thanks for your feedback. We will be sure to ask for an updated room. We were fortunate to be upgraded to an executive suite (1600E a night) during the French Open last year. Will see how this property treats Diamonds for upgrades from the base suite. Based upon your description and that we aren't high brow folks, it doesn't sound like we would be disappointed if something else did not open up. Thanks!
Sam, you are still in Paris ; ), that is the BEST PART.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.