Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Paris Hyatt Hotels - Hotel du Louvre or the Park Hyatt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Planning on a trip to Paris this summer and trying to decide which Hyatt hotel to stay in: the newly Hyatt branded Hotel du Louvre for 18k a night, or the Park Hyatt at 22k. It seems like they are pretty close to each other, but I wasn't sure if one location was better than the other. Any thoughts between these two hotels?
Old May 15, 2013, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by drdavidge
Planning on a trip to Paris this summer and trying to decide which Hyatt hotel to stay in: the newly Hyatt branded Hotel du Louvre for 18k a night, or the Park Hyatt at 22k. It seems like they are pretty close to each other, but I wasn't sure if one location was better than the other. Any thoughts between these two hotels?
Park Hyatt without a shred of doubt.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Park Hyatt without a shred of doubt.
I second that.
Old May 15, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
I would third that.

Except if Jeff reveals his "secret sauce" of getting bonus night visiting different Hyatt hotels, I would give the other one a try.
Old May 15, 2013, 4:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I fourth that
Old May 15, 2013, 7:37 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Fifth that - especially since you're planning on paying with points (difference is 4000 points per night - if you value Hyatt points at about 2 cents each - that translates into paying $80 more per night - in my mind that's a no brainer since the PHV is one of the top hotels in Paris while the Louvre property is rather unknown at this point at least under Hyatt management).
Old May 15, 2013, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Well that was easy.. thanks everyone. I just opened the Hyatt card for the two free nights but its going to be a few weeks before the card is in my hand, the statement closes, and I get the free nights in my Hyatt account. Would I be able to book this with points, then switch it to using my two free nights with the card? Just afraid the hotel might sell out or become unavailable.
Old May 16, 2013, 9:35 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by drdavidge
Well that was easy.. thanks everyone. I just opened the Hyatt card for the two free nights but its going to be a few weeks before the card is in my hand, the statement closes, and I get the free nights in my Hyatt account. Would I be able to book this with points, then switch it to using my two free nights with the card? Just afraid the hotel might sell out or become unavailable.
You should be able to do that given a properly trained agent.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:16 am

I have been thinking about these 2 hotels for a summer trip in Paris aswell. Here is what I have found so far:

Hotel Du Louvre is right by Musee Du Louvre, Jardin Des Tuileries and short 10 min walk to Musee de Orsay. It is also within 15 min of Notre Dame Cathedral.There is a metro stop right opposite to the hotel, so travelling from airport is very convenient. But you would have to change metro once in order to visit Eiffel Tower.

Now come to Park Hyatt Paris, it is at historical Place Vendome area. But a good 20-25 min walk to Louvre Museum and even further from Notre Dame Cathedral. Commuting to Eiffel Tower is however easier, as the metro there has a straight connection. If you are using Roissy Bus from Airport, then the stop at Opera is only few hundred metres from the Hotel.

After going through the reviews on the net and checking the hotel photos on the website; Vendome property looks more luxurious. It also has more restaurant options and a nice spa. Whereas, Hotel Du Louvre has lot of history and heritage behind it, the first 5 star hotel built in Paris 100+ years back, the place where Arthur Conan Doyle wrote few of his Sherlock Holmes stories and Sigmund Freud contemplated the mystery of Monalisa's smile.

Last thought, Paris-Vendome is already completely booked out for mid June and Hotel Du Louvre only has few rooms left. So hurry!

Last edited by uniquetraveler; May 16, 2013 at 11:34 am
Old May 16, 2013, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT, uniquetraveler! If it really takes 20-25 minutes to walk to the Louvre from the PHV, then I must have been running, something I'm not exactly famous for. Google maps shows it as 16 minutes, but I think it's even less than that.

Alternatively, borrow a bicycle (for free) from the hotel and pedal there in 4 minutes.
Old May 16, 2013, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Welcome to FT, uniquetraveler! If it really takes 20-25 minutes to walk to the Louvre from the PHV, then I must have been running, something I'm not exactly famous for. Google maps shows it as 16 minutes, but I think it's even less than that.
Agreed, it isn't 25 minutes. Its about a 5 minute walk from the PHV to the Tuileries Garden, and then you simply walk through the gardens down to the museum.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Agreed, it isn't 25 minutes. Its about a 5 minute walk from the PHV to the Tuileries Garden, and then you simply walk through the gardens down to the museum.
Having just been there last week and walked between PHV and the Louvre 3 times, 25 minutes would indeed be a slow stroll.

Yes, it is about 5 minutes to Tuileries, and that pleasant right angle route takes 15-20 minutes to get to an entrance to the Louvre. The direct diagonal route down Avenue l'Opera takes 10-15 minutes.

It is true that the PHV is a long walk to Notre Dame. We strolled it slowly, looking at things along the way, and I think we spent a pleasant hour on the walk. After waiting in line and climbing the Tower, we took the metro and were back at the PHV in about 15 minutes.

The Hotel du Louvre is a nice location, and although I do not know the rates, I would think it definitely worth considering if it were half the price of the PHV, but the OP mentioned using points and/or cc free nights. At 18,000 pts/night for Hotel du Louvre and 22,000 pts/night for PHV, I can't even imagine an instant of doubt between the two. Purchase some extra pts if needed; it is definitely worth it.

Plan ahead to book an award at PHV or keep trying right up to the time of your trip.

Last edited by OsakaWino; May 16, 2013 at 11:04 pm
Old May 16, 2013, 11:45 pm

Looks like I was off by 5 min, I said 20-25 min walk from Park Hyatt to Musee Louvre but it is more like 15-20 min. Well my only source is google maps and I have not really been there yet... It was an estimate based on distance showed.

But as I said before, PHV is definitely up there at the top in terms of luxury whereas HDL has more history behind it being the oldest 5 star hotel in Paris. As for location, it depends on what attraction one wants to focus on, Park Hyatt has easier commute to Eiffel Tower(direct Metro link) and Hotel Louvre is right by the two great museums(the tickets can be bought from Hotel Concierge thus bypassing the long lines at site) and short walk to Notre Dame.

The main challege would be getting a reservation. I am a Diamond member but still did not see any availability at Park Hyatt till mid June(few days are available in late June). The 48 hr guarantee is only for paid stay, so unless one wants to shell out $900/night that is not an option.

For me point is also a factor, I can stay 6 nights at Hotel Du Louvre or only 5 nights at Park Hyatt. Since my main aim to visit the city of light and not just be at the hotel room, I am leaning towards first option.

Is there any member who have stayed in both? Then that would be a review worth considering..

Last edited by uniquetraveler; May 17, 2013 at 12:19 am
Old May 17, 2013, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by uniquetraveler
Looks like I was off by 5 min, I said 20-25 min walk from Park Hyatt to Musee Louvre but it is more like 15-20 min. Well my only source is google maps and I have not really been there yet... It was an estimate based on distance showed.

But as I said before, PHV is definitely up there at the top in terms of luxury whereas HDL has more history behind it being the oldest 5 star hotel in Paris. As for location, it depends on what attraction one wants to focus on, Park Hyatt has easier commute to Eiffel Tower(direct Metro link) and Hotel Louvre is right by the two great museums(the tickets can be bought from Hotel Concierge thus bypassing the long lines at site) and short walk to Notre Dame.

The main challege would be getting a reservation. I am a Diamond member but still did not see any availability at Park Hyatt till mid June(few days are available in late June). The 48 hr guarantee is only for paid stay, so unless one wants to shell out $900/night that is not an option.

For me point is also a factor, I can stay 6 nights at Hotel Du Louvre or only 5 nights at Park Hyatt. Since my main aim to visit the city of light and not just be at the hotel room, I am leaning towards first option.

Is there any member who have stayed in both? Then that would be a review worth considering..
Why not simply pay for one night or buy 22k points to stay for six nights at the PH?

Hotel du Louvre is not a five star hotel. If anything stay there after the renovation and rebranding is complete.
Old May 21, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Why not simply pay for one night or buy 22k points to stay for six nights at the PH?

Hotel du Louvre is not a five star hotel. If anything stay there after the renovation and rebranding is complete.
Yes. This is the issue with the Hotel Du Louvre.... not its proximity to the Louvre or to other famous sites. The Park Hyatt more than makes up for the extra few minutes you might have to walk and I've made the walk more times than I can count... IMHO both are so well located that it is ridiculous to even worry about the location of either. Neither location is a problem. The PH will be, with little doubt, a fantastic experience. The Hotel du Louvre will likely be fine but not who knows as it's been a Hyatt for so short of time. The fact that is going to be renovated should speak volumes.

Quite frankly if I were in your place uniquetraveler, I'd stay at the PH for 5 nights after spending the first night somewhere else...anywhere else for the first night and then the last five nights at the PH... there are plenty of very nice non-chain options in Paris that won't be outrageously expensive. If your departure from Paris involves an early flight, just spend the 6th night at an airpot hotel that you can transfer to later in the evening after spending the full day in paris. The hassle will quickly be forgotten after your time at the PH.

Last edited by Renard; May 21, 2013 at 4:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.