Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Union Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Union Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 7:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Parking

Looking forward to staying at this Hotel this weekend. Any advise for parking? The hotel website says they have valet for a fee.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I just completed another stay here 5 nights. There are a few things I'm starting to notice that I do not like about this hotel.

The restaurant breakfast menu. I don't find any of the items on the menu appetizing. The only item I've enjoyed was the french toast, all the other entrees I've had have been major disappointments. The Pancake Souffle was more like a pancake soup, the Red Flannel Hash just wrong for breakfast, the BELT not a winner and the creamy grits & tomato fondue that come with poached egg and chicken meatballs just did not hit it for me. In the end the $25 credit does not go a long way. I ended up going out to breakfast.

Another issue I had during my stay was the noise housekeeping made... every day around 9 or 9:30 I was waken up by the noise they made in the hallways or while they cleaned the neighboring room.

Additionally, I sent a note to the hotel management about these issues and never heard back. A big no no in my book.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:24 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
I just completed another stay here 5 nights. There are a few things I'm starting to notice that I do not like about this hotel.

The restaurant breakfast menu. I don't find any of the items on the menu appetizing. The only item I've enjoyed was the french toast, all the other entrees I've had have been major disappointments. The Pancake Souffle was more like a pancake soup, the Red Flannel Hash just wrong for breakfast, the BELT not a winner and the creamy grits & tomato fondue that come with poached egg and chicken meatballs just did not hit it for me. In the end the $25 credit does not go a long way. I ended up going out to breakfast.

Another issue I had during my stay was the noise housekeeping made... every day around 9 or 9:30 I was waken up by the noise they made in the hallways or while they cleaned the neighboring room.

Additionally, I sent a note to the hotel management about these issues and never heard back. A big no no in my book.
Feel free to contact me and I will put you in touch with the right management folks on property
I have respect for them and expect that they will listen
The breakfast issue will be challenging I too had concerns there with both selection and service.
On the upside there is talent in the kitchen and my eggs were perfection and the dinner was superb ^

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 6, 2014 at 11:54 am
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:24 pm

So I have two free night certificates but want to stay for 4 nights. I am a diamond member and want to use the suite upgrade certificate to get an Alcove room. I understand that the standard rooms are like closets. Question-If I call and book the two free nights along with the two paid nights can I use the upgrade for the paid nights? I will move rooms if need be but my hope would be that they would just put me in the Alcove all four nights.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:50 pm

Looking at this spot for a getaway with my wife for our anniversary. Been to the Grand Hyatt, Times Square Hyatt and Jersey City Hyatt, and Hyatt Place Midtown. haven't tried this spot. I believe based on the reviews that this is the best option? I tried Park Hyatt but points availability is next to impossible to come by. Can anyone suggest a better option? 48 Lex maybe?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Looking at this spot for a getaway with my wife for our anniversary. Been to the Grand Hyatt, Times Square Hyatt and Jersey City Hyatt, and Hyatt Place Midtown. haven't tried this spot. I believe based on the reviews that this is the best option? I tried Park Hyatt but points availability is next to impossible to come by. Can anyone suggest a better option? 48 Lex maybe?
While I have not stayed at either, the Andaz Wall Street and Andaz 5th avenue have received excellent reviews as well.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Could be a "GREAT" hotel but service is not consistent...

I have now stayed at this hotel many times... so I can now say I can give it a fair review. There was a article I have recently read "How To Create A Consistent Superior Hotel Customer Experience". It makes a good point about two things. Great hotels are capable of delivering great customer service over and over again. Never take a 10 rating on a guest survey seriously... I pretty much look at the TripAdvisor ratings as a source of entertainment, especially those surveyors with only 1 - 2 reviews. It's based on 1 stay... will the next stay be the same?

http://aremorch.com/2010/06/22/how-t...er-experience/

I love the Hyatt Union Square location, the design, the vibe and the amenities, rooms are tiny, but sadly service is not consistent

Each stay I feel like I'm at different hotel... one stay five stars the next a complete mess. At times I feel like I'm guiding the hotel on how to run a Hyatt.

There are times when staff is wonderful, welcoming and eager to please but other times lost and confused. Here are a few examples:

24 hours before arrival I called up to see what type of suite I would get using a DSU. I was informed I was already upgraded and if I use the DSU I would be upgraded to the presidential suite. I was told to call the diamond line to redeem the award and the presidential suite would be mine. So after 30 minutes of being tossed back and forth from the hotel to Hyatt customer service I was finally told they were mistaken and it was not hotel policy.

For a coupled of stays I have book the "Observe our First Package" which includes 22% off and a bottle of sparking wine.
On one stay the wine was sent up on the day I was checking out, on the next stay the front desk told me the wine was not included... confirming this with a manager.

it's advertised on the hotel website a bottle of sparking wine is included and I confirmed this with the Diamond Line. I stood there for 10 - 15 minutes explaining to the hotel about a package they were selling Finally they said they would send one up as a Diamond Amenity...
http://www.unionsquare.hyatt.com/en/...54293555&code=

I had requested a room refresh - When I returned the room was not refreshed, dirty towels still on the floor etc.... but too my surprise there was a stack of towels about three feet high piled on the bathroom sink with toilet paper roll, tissue box etc. I was like (wft) 1 guest in the room with a total of 20 clean towels, 3 rolls of toilet paper.

I had left the room around 10:30 AM, returned around 4:30 PM to a dirty room. I flagged down the housekeeper and she said she would be there in 20 minutes, 90 minutes later no housekeeper.

There are other issues I've had which I will not post as I do not want to get flagged, I still want to stay here. I love the location, the vibe and the design but service needs to be improved, more consistent, it goes from fabulous to just plain awful in a flash.

I've discussed this with the Hyatt Diamond line and they have told me the hotel should compensate me for the issues I've had... I have not asked for anything but they did deposit 5,000 points in regards to item 4.

If I was not in love with the location and loyal to Hyatt I would go elsewhere... what would you do?

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Aug 13, 2014 at 1:04 am
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:20 am

I have now stayed at this hotel many times... so I can now say I can give it a fair review. There was a article I have recently read "How To Create A Consistent Superior Hotel Customer Experience". It makes a good point about two things. Great hotels are capable of delivering great customer service over and over again. Never take a 10 rating on a guest survey seriously... I pretty much look at the TripAdvisor ratings as a source of entertainment, especially those surveyors with only 1 - 2 reviews. It's based on 1 stay... will the next stay be the same?

http://aremorch.com/2010/06/22/how-t...er-experience/

I love the Hyatt Union Square location, the design, the vibe and the amenities, rooms are tiny, but sadly service is not consistent

Each stay I feel like I'm at different hotel... one stay five stars the next a complete mess. At times I feel like I'm guiding the hotel on how to run a Hyatt.

There are times when staff is wonderful, welcoming and eager to please but other times lost and confused. Here are a few examples:

24 hours before arrival I called up to see what type of suite I would get using a DSU. I was informed I was already upgraded and if I use the DSU I would be upgraded to the presidential suite. I was told to call the diamond line to redeem the award and the presidential suite would be mine. So after 30 minutes of being tossed back and forth from the hotel to Hyatt customer service I was finally told they were mistaken and it was not hotel policy.

For a coupled of stays I have book the "Observe our First Package" which includes 22% off and a bottle of sparking wine.
On one stay the wine was sent up on the day I was checking out, on the next stay the front desk told me the wine was not included... confirming this with a manager.

it's advertised on the hotel website a bottle of sparking wine is included and I confirmed this with the Diamond Line. I stood there for 10 - 15 minutes explaining to the hotel about a package they were selling Finally they said they would send one up as a Diamond Amenity...
http://www.unionsquare.hyatt.com/en/...54293555&code=

I had requested a room refresh - When I returned the room was not refreshed, dirty towels still on the floor etc.... but too my surprise there was a stack of towels about three feet high piled on the bathroom sink with toilet paper roll, tissue box etc. I was like (wft) 1 guest in the room with a total of 20 clean towels, 3 rolls of toilet paper.

I had left the room around 10:30 AM, returned around 4:30 PM to a dirty room. I flagged down the housekeeper and she said she would be there in 20 minutes, 90 minutes later no housekeeper.

There are other issues I've had which I will not post as I do not want to get flagged, I still want to stay here. I love the location, the vibe and the design but service needs to be improved, more consistent, it goes from fabulous to just plain awful in a flash.

I've discussed this with the Hyatt Diamond line and they have told me the hotel should compensate me for the issues I've had... I have not asked for anything but they did deposit 5,000 points in regards to item 4.

If I was not in love with the location and loyal to Hyatt I would go elsewhere... what would you do?
Ouch based on what you just said I may have to rethink my stay here with my wife. Do you have any suggestions?

I am curious as to your "flagged" comment. What does that mean?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Rasing the BAR... hotel makes an effort to be the best

I have been staying at the Hyatt Union Square quite often, I'm on my 11th stay here since April.

I love the location, rooms are small but for the solo traveler they are fine, nicely designed and wonderful amenities... love the CO Bigelow bath amenities.

In the beginning I've had some issues... but I had hope the hotel would improve. I'm happy to report it has. I can really see the effort from management to staff, the aim is to be one of the best hotels in NYC. The Fourth Restaurant, not operated by Hyatt is making the effort as well.

Upon check in the front office director greeted me and offered his assistance, not only for this stay, but for all my future stays. They gave me a wonderful upgrade to a spacious corner room and I'm loving it.

It's going to be hard to move to another Hyatt... this neighborhood is awesome and the Hyatt Union Square is becoming an awesome hotel. ^^^^
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
Anyone used a DSU here recently? Is the Alcove Loft still what you are given when using a Diamond Suite upgrade at this property?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:26 pm

Can anyone share the GM contact? Checking in tomorrow and want to check in early if possible.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

NO... why don't you just call the hotel,.
They will be more than happy to help you.

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Can anyone share the GM contact? Checking in tomorrow and want to check in early if possible.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:17 am

NO... why don't you just call the hotel,.
They will be more than happy to help you.
I did, they couldn't help me out. Thing is my son who is a minor is traveling with me and I wanted to get him situated in the hotel before I went to my meetings. If it was just me I wouldn't mind.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:53 am

I also love the location of the hotel and the general ambience but have been here for three days and have no hot water! Staff claim boiler problem but no resolution so far. Both Alcove Lofts we are occupying have the same problem. Nothing proactive from the FD staff unfortunately.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:38 pm

After having spent four nights here in December, I probably have the range of mixed feelings about this property as others who have posted on this thread. As mentioned above I love the location with easy access to the East Village and the staff were generally very good (although they had no solution for the lack of hot water problem). Is it true that the fitness centre has no showers?

We stayed in two Alcove Lofts using DSU's and although these were nice quiet rooms, I am not sure that they merited the use of the upgrade awards. As others have observed, the $25pp Diamond breakfast allowance is inadequate and the menu hasn't changed in two years. The breakfast staff, however, were wonderful.

Did not have dinner at the Fourth but ate in Botequim one night. Good, interesting food and great service but the piped music was a tad too loud.

On the whole, however, I have to say that we enjoyed our time here and would not hesitate to stay again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.