Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Union Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Union Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 4:30 am

Where are your pictures?

Nice to hear you got upgraded and you also had a good stay there. Thanks for posting the review.

What's wrong with the bathroom setup? In the standard king room, there are sliding doors at the bathroom entrance and in between the sink/shower part of the bathroom and the comode room. Did your room not have that? Anyway, if you follow the link to my pictures, you can see the sliding doors in the room I had. Close them and the bathroom is private, either all of it or just the part with the toilet.

How about the size of the room itself?

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 11, 2013 at 4:53 am
Old May 11, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Nothing wrong with the bathroom if your alone, if you are sharing a room, you have no where to get dressed once you exit the shower. If you are staying alone or with your loved one, no worries. One point also, they used a great shampoo and soap with a peppermint flavor that was abosolutely relaxing. I did not want to get out of the shower. Water pressure was great! The size of the room and was exactly like the standard King. The only upgrade was the terrace, which was amazing and relaxful. It really gave the room a bigger feel with the door open and the ability to walk outside. I've never had a terrace in any room in NYC and this feature made it worth it on a warm day. It did rain, but it was relaxful and quiet for NYC. The front desk kept on asking me how my terrace was. The really felt proud of the property. I'll add pictures of the terrace shortly.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Nothing wrong with the bathroom if your alone, if you are sharing a room, you have no where to get dressed once you exit the shower. If you are staying alone or with your loved one, no worries. One point also, they used a great shampoo and soap with a peppermint flavor that was abosolutely relaxing. I did not want to get out of the shower. Water pressure was great! The size of the room and was exactly like the standard King. The only upgrade was the terrace, which was amazing and relaxful. It really gave the room a bigger feel with the door open and the ability to walk outside. I've never had a terrace in any room in NYC and this feature made it worth it on a warm day. It did rain, but it was relaxful and quiet for NYC. The front desk kept on asking me how my terrace was. The really felt proud of the property. I'll add pictures of the terrace shortly.
I'm sorry, it's hard to envision what you are describing as a potential problem in the bathroom without pictures.

I had a standard shower/sink separated from the room with a sliding pocket-style door (hanging on a rail, rather than in an actual pocket), with room to get dressed or use the sink (not a ton of room, but there's room there) and a separate comode area, both with sliding doors for privacy.

Did your bathroom have the sliding doors?

Did it look like the bathroom in my pictures?

But if the overall size of the room was the same as the standard king room, then it's really not going to be comfortable for 2 people IMO anyway. I didn't see anyplace where you could even have two rollaboards open.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Thanks,
David

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 12, 2013 at 12:38 am
Old May 15, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Greetings from day 3 of a 5 day stay at this hotel.

Here are my thoughts so far:

Staff - young, attractive, extremely friendly, and very eager to help (as numerous others have noted). Few small things still need refining, such as remembering to bring appropriate flatware in the restaurant (had to ask numerous times for spoons for items that needed spoons), and the front desk staff still isn't 100% on the computer systems (had difficulty combining separate reservations so we wouldn't have to check in and out multiple times since rooms were booked on combination of certifications, points, and paid). There also seems to be some level of overstaffing at times, enough that the relatively small lobby seems packed when everybody is on duty. Front desk staff often wait on the street to open the door and interact with guests as they enter/exit. As I said, SUPER friendly people here.

Diamond breakfast/perks - given a daily voucher per person for the restaurant and can order anything off the menu. We definitely went overboard on day 1 with the 4 of us racking up a $150+ bill on breakfast, but definitely toned it down the other days.

The restaurant is quite formal for a breakfast spot, and the menu is very limited and there is no room for deviation. For example, my sister just wanted some scrambled eggs and waitress said that's fine, but then came back later and said the chef refused and said we have to do menu items only. Kinda ridiculous that they don't have some of the "basic breakfast items" like scrambled eggs, omelette choices (though they do have a chard and mushroom frittata, quite good), etc.

Each of our rooms had a half bottle of wine and a bowl of fruit as Diamond welcome gifts, along with personalized and handwritten welcome cards from the GM and other staff.

Rooms -- we have 2 rooms, one with a king and one with 2 queens. I still need to have a convo with the front desk about this, but we used a suite upgrade award for the king room ("studio" on the website) and were confirmed into the sky terrace under the deluxe category since the suites aren't yet completed. However upon arrival we were told the king room had been "upgraded" to the "Urbane Sky" room (under the "standard" category). This is most definitely not an upgrade. The staff said we'd like this better because its on the top floor (11) and supposedly had amazing views, but really its just looking across 4th ave at equally tall buildings.

And as others have noted, the room is TINY. There's barely any room to move around, and unlike the urbane double, there is no door separating the bathroom sink area from the room. So once you are out of the shower, you are standing in front of the sink area and there is no door separating you from the room, though there is a wall so somebody would have to walk around the corner to see you.

Housekeeping leaves a nightly treat in all rooms along with the turndown service -- first night was chocolates, then pretzels from a local bakery, and fortune cookies tonight.

I don't think they have room service yet (or if they ever plan on having it, but I didn't ask), but our room had a sheet of paper with neighborhood eateries and the staff favorites from each location. Directly across the street is a chinese spot, taqueria, teriyaki joint, and a deli. I recall seeing a 24hr Subway down the street as well. The note also says they can arrange delivery as needed

Gym -- Well furnished, 4 or 5 treadmills and 3 ellipticals. Bunch of free weights and several weight machines. Complimentary bottled water, fruit (saw them replacing it every morning) and headphones

There's definitely still some work going on throughout the property -- saw construction still happening in the restaurant and as mentioned earlier, many of the corner suites are still in process. The TV system went down for almost 12 hours last night as well and the fire alarm also went off once for no reason.

Overall the property is great. Bunch of great restaurants in the neighborhood and there's also a 24hr Walgreens down the street. I haven't stayed in other NYC Hyatts to compare but the location here is great (14th St/Union Square subway station is just around the corner) and if the staff continue to be as friendly as they are now, I would have no hesitation in coming back

Let me know if I missed anything or if there's more that anybody wants to know

Last edited by brosnan6; May 15, 2013 at 4:56 pm
Old May 15, 2013, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6

The restaurant is quite formal for a breakfast spot, and the menu is very limited and there is no room for deviation. For example, my sister just wanted some scrambled eggs and waitress said that's fine, but then came back later and said the chef refused and said we have to do menu items only. Kinda ridiculous that they don't have some of the "basic breakfast items" like scrambled eggs, omelette choices (though they do have a chard and mushroom frittata, quite good), etc.
I am very much surprised that the chef refused to make such a simple breakfast item I would bring it to the restaurant management and see what they have to say. I haven't stay at any Hyatt property yet that would not accommodate for such a simple request.

Thank you for your nice review and update regarding this property.
Old May 15, 2013, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
I am very much surprised that the chef refused to make such a simple breakfast item I would bring it to the restaurant management and see what they have to say. I haven't stay at any Hyatt property yet that would not accommodate for such a simple request.

Thank you for your nice review and update regarding this property.
Yeah, we were all surprised too. I left this out above, but the same day my mom also tried ordering another "basic" breakfast item -- 2 eggs over medium, and that was politely declined as well. My dad plans on mentioning it to the hotel manager towards the end of our stay
Old May 15, 2013, 5:59 pm

Yeah, we were all surprised too. I left this out above, but the same day my mom also tried ordering another "basic" breakfast item -- 2 eggs over medium, and that was politely declined as well. My dad plans on mentioning it to the hotel manager towards the end of our stay
I would not wait till the end of your stay, it will not help you then.
Old May 15, 2013, 6:04 pm

Our thinking behind waiting till the end was to "lets not piss off anybody during the stay". I know that all sorts of shenanigans go on behind closed doors in kitchens, especially when diners are perceived as being difficult/entitled/whatever you want to call it and I'd rather not be in a potential situation where somebody in the kitchen feels slighted and decides to be a dick to our food (not that I'm saying I expect the Hyatt kitchen staff to do anything...but still, best to err on side of caution).

Anyways, it wasn't a make or break situation with breakfast - everybody found other stuff on the menu that they liked.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
No.. not really. I've had issues that I've waited till the end of my stay to bring up.. and 100% of the time the result is extra points deposited to my account and even a free night!!! It matters how you handle it and how legit it is... This is a legit complaint.

The hotel is new... and the food establishments here are not operated by Hyatt but by a third party.

I have a Sky Room reserved next week... and as I you see I have done a site visit to this hotel, the sky rooms are not an big upgrade to get excited about... all you get is floor to ceiling windows on floor 10 and 11. I do love the decor and quality of the hotel... BUT ROOMS ARE SOOO TINY... and some rooms offer no privacy when it comes to the bathroom area!!!

I was told the suites would be ready this coming week... I cross my fingers I'll get upgraded to one of those rooms....

On another note the Hyatt Place Midtown is only $134 (AAA rate) a night Sunday and Monday Memorial Day weekend... A SUPER BARGAIN for New York City! If I'm not happy with my room next week I will move to the Hyatt Place.

Old May 15, 2013, 10:26 pm

Oh one more thing - there's a fire station just down 13th st so be warned that you will likely be hearing sirens at all hours of day and night if your window overlooks 4th ave and 13th st. We're on the top floor (11th) and can hear it crystal clear, and obviously moreso when the windows are open
Old May 15, 2013, 10:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Most likely why I was told the courtyard studios offered some peace and quite...

Oh one more thing - there's a fire station just down 13th st so be warned that you will likely be hearing sirens at all hours of day and night if your window overlooks 4th ave and 13th st. We're on the top floor (11th) and can hear it crystal clear, and obviously moreso when the windows are open
Old May 16, 2013, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
If I'm not happy with my room next week I will move to the Hyatt Place.
you're cracking me up.

I don't recall hearing anything out of the ordinary in my 10th floor room facing 4th Ave. I did, however, keep the window closed and latched at night. There's always some street noise in NYC if you are facing the street.

I wish those of you saying there are rooms without a bathroom door could take some pictures. I can't be the only one here with a camera on my phone. Nonetheless keep those reviews coming.

-David
Old May 16, 2013, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I'm sorry, it's hard to envision what you are describing as a potential problem in the bathroom without pictures.

I had a standard shower/sink separated from the room with a sliding pocket-style door (hanging on a rail, rather than in an actual pocket), with room to get dressed or use the sink (not a ton of room, but there's room there) and a separate comode area, both with sliding doors for privacy.

Did your bathroom have the sliding doors?

Did it look like the bathroom in my pictures?

But if the overall size of the room was the same as the standard king room, then it's really not going to be comfortable for 2 people IMO anyway. I didn't see anyplace where you could even have two rollaboards open.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Thanks,
David
You can to go TripAdvisor and see pictures that have already been posted there by travelers and there you can see that the shower has a glass door that faces the sink, which is separated by a mirror from the main room. Definitely a privacy issue if you're sharing a room with a non-significant other.
Old May 17, 2013, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by freetravelguys
You can to go TripAdvisor and see pictures that have already been posted there by travelers and there you can see that the shower has a glass door that faces the sink, which is separated by a mirror from the main room. Definitely a privacy issue if you're sharing a room with a non-significant other.
ok, Thanks.

I see what you are talking about, a different configuration than the bathroom in my room, which had a sliding pocket-like door.

In this picture, the sliding door is open.

I thought what I had was a standard king bed room on the 10th floor. Now I'm wondering if it was "standard".

-David
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:13 pm

I'm currently staying in a double queen room and have a sliding door so privacy is not an issue.

So far so good -- I'm here on an award stay. Props to the property for reading my "special request" of two beds and blocking the room in advance. The employee checking me in seemed to struggle with the system, but another employee jumped in to help when I asked about the Diamond Breakfast. There was a note on the reservation to have them call the GM to greet me, which they did (a nice touch!). Haven't received a Diamond Amenity yet.

This property is worth checking out -- and the location is great. I don't think anyone here would regret their decision to book and stay at Hyatt Union Square. I just switched my last night in NYC to extend my stay here at Union Square another night.

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
ok, Thanks.

I see what you are talking about, a different configuration than the bathroom in my room, which had a sliding pocket-like door.

I thought what I had was a standard king bed room on the 10th floor. Now I'm wondering if it was "standard".

-David

Last edited by peteropny; Jun 25, 2013 at 11:28 am Reason: Removal of quoted pic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.