Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai- Park Hyatt v Andaz

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by krazieman

Also, Uber just started in Shanghai, so instead of dirty taxis you can get nice black cars (e.g. Audi A6, MB S class) for only a bit more than cabs. You can even get 100 RMB in referral credit. (Don't want to tout my own referral link unless someone wants it).
Check out the Uber thread in the China forum; we don't have any problems about referral links (I think my friend's just expired).
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Scandic 2nd Floor, FoundersCard
So, Krazieman, are you still at the Andaz? Any more comments about it? I'm still deciding between it and Hyatt on the Bund.

I have been meaning to sign up for Uber -- and it sounds appealing for SH since the cabs are so gross usually. How much more is it to use vs a reg. taxi? Send me a message with a referral link if you want and I'll use it.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I will be in Shanghai this week on quick turn Mileage Run; I have two nights and one full day, and presently planning to stay at the Park Hyatt; however given that I'll be doing mostly sightseeing and eating/drinking, and have no reason to be in pudong proper... does it make sense to stay there? Should I switch to the Andaz?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by roder
I will be in Shanghai this week on quick turn Mileage Run; I have two nights and one full day, and presently planning to stay at the Park Hyatt; however given that I'll be doing mostly sightseeing and eating/drinking, and have no reason to be in pudong proper... does it make sense to stay there? Should I switch to the Andaz?
Yes. (Or a non-Hyatt hotel in an even better location.)
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Originally Posted by roder
I have the same question - The Park Hyatt looks awesome, but it seems to be away from the main attractions. Are taxis pretty reasonable or Uber?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
I have the same question - The Park Hyatt looks awesome, but it seems to be away from the main attractions. Are taxis pretty reasonable or Uber?
-Shanghai really doesn't have many attractions to speak of, but Lujiazui is extremely sterile (think of downtown San Jose on steroids)
-Taxis are fine, and Uber is as well if you plan properly (they don't have a ton of cars, so booking 30 minutes out is SOP), but crossing the river during busy times is a huge drag (the subway makes the most sense; it's just insanely crowded)

I actually lived in LJZ during 2003 because I was able to get a really nice apartment for half the cost of comparable digs in Jing'an, but regretted this decision from day one.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: SK Gold
I just stayed 1 night at the PH and then 2 nights at the Andaz, which for me was the perfect mix. 1 day is definitely enough to gaze at all those record-breaking skyscrapers, the scenery at night is truly stunning. It was also fun having lunch at the PH 91st floor restaurant while watching people do the skywalk at the Jin Mao tower and I enjoyed taking a short ferry ride for 2 RMB to the other side of the river and join Shanghaians in a Sunday stroll.

The Xintiandi area is of a totally different ilk. I loved just walking around enjoying the hustle and bustle, the old mixed together with the new, small repair shop owners carrying out their business on the sidewalk in front of their shops in close vicinity to modern and glitzy shopping malls.

Both hotels were booked on the Hyatt Privé rate, so came with an upgrade, free breakfast and a 100$ FB credit. At check-out the PH converted the 100$ into 600 RMB. I thought that was too big a cut considering that it should have been 671 RMB with the prevailing exchange rate and protested. After lengthy discussions and a lot of smiles on both sides the manager finally agreed on 671 RMB. The Andaz told me at check-in that the FB credit would be converted into roughly 643 RMB. I considered that much more reasonable and accepted.

The PH upgraded me immediately after booking to a larger room, which was truly beautiful. Despite the program's terms the Andaz did not confirm an upgrade after booking. My Privé agent said it was a known problem with some of the popular Andaz properties. At check-in, however, I did get upgraded to a nice big corner room, which I was very happy with. Still the PH room definitely won on sleekness.

The pool at the PH is excellent for lap-swimming and there is a nice hot tub. The pool at the Andaz is clearly inferior, much smaller and no hot tub either. In general you don't feel invited to spend much time at the pool area like at the PH. The breakfast buffet at the PH is very good, the breakfast buffet at the Andaz is outstanding, one of the best I have ever experienced. The Ferrari mechanics crew was staying at the hotel to prepare for the upcoming Formula 1 Grand Prix in Shanghai. In light of all the delicacies on the buffet it was interesting to see that the main part of their breakfast consisted of Nutella on toast. Go figure.

All in all I loved both properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.