Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Why can't we prepay with gift card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:55 am
Original Poster

We always shop with gift card at retailers but for Hyatt, pre-payment (advance purchase rate) reservation can not be made with with gift card. Why is that so?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Just prepay with regular credit card and then they will refund that and put charge on your gift card at checkout. I have done this many times.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Another view might be that many gift cards dont allow for credits back to the account; when you book a room they usually authorize 20-50% more than the cost of the stay, which would be problematic with a gift card.

I usually do what Simba suggested - preauthorize with a credit card then settle the charges differently when I check out.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
So an advance purchase rate isn't fully settled at the time of booking as they seem to suggest? I'm trying to book an advance purchase rate at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto but I'd like to use two $50 and one $25 Hyatt Gift cards to defray some of the cost. It seems as though what you all are suggesting is that I give them my credit card but I get to determine where some of the cost goes on check out?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
"So an advance purchase rate isn't fully settled at the time of booking as they seem to suggest? "

Ive never had an advance purchase rate hit my credit card at the time of booking. The last one I did the charge hit my card 1 day prior to my stay at the hotel.

As for how to handle the gift cards... do as suggested in the thread and you will be fine.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, United Silver, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by MumbaiFlyer
So an advance purchase rate isn't fully settled at the time of booking as they seem to suggest? I'm trying to book an advance purchase rate at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto but I'd like to use two $50 and one $25 Hyatt Gift cards to defray some of the cost. It seems as though what you all are suggesting is that I give them my credit card but I get to determine where some of the cost goes on check out?
"Gift Cards Terms & Conditions

This card can be applied toward eligible purchases at participating Hyatt Hotels and Resorts in the U.S., Canada and Caribbean"

Don't believe they can be used outside of these locations per https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/TCGiftCardCert.aspx
so you wouldn't be able to use it in Kyoto anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.