Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
Travel here a lot. Stayed once at the Driskall cuz wife wanted to. Used a suite upgrade and it was the tiniest suite I have ever seen. Regular rooms were also very small. Will never stay there again. I love the Hyatt Regency and they have even given me a suite upgrade a couple of times without using my DSU.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
It looks like the Driskill is playing the typically Hyatt award games now. Can't remember if I've seen this here before or not, but hotel wouldn't budge. I was looking at two weekends and both have standard rooms available under package rates, but not the standard rates, so I can't book an award night even though standard rooms are available.

Very frustrating, but on the bright side, they aren't doing it every weekend (yet).

Last edited by spgplat21; Feb 2, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Here tonight. As an explorist/package I booked (through Travel Leaders with breakfast included & 100 dollar food and beverage credit) was upgraded to a larger king room and it's definitely not as small as I feared. Service has been decent and love the property's historical feel/location.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
As a data point, I used a suite upgrade to a junior suite despite everyones warning its not worth it (my TSU was expiring so it was a use it or lose it situation). Was upgraded to a landmark suite which was exceptional.

Now if that was a TSU upgrade, then itd become one of the best 😁
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 8/21 - 8/22

Location: The hotel is great if you enjoy downtown Austin. It's on the corner of 6th and Brazos which puts it right next to the famous 6th Street. The number of bars and restaurants (all kinds ranging from fancy food to sports bars, dueling piano bars etc.) you can walk to is staggering. It's about 20-25 minutes from AUS and an easy drive (or walk if it isn't too hot) to Rainey Street or other parts of Austin.

Hotel: The hotel is one of the most gorgeous I've been to in the United States. The historic nature of the original structure is well preserved. There's a huge lobby with a cowboy themed bar and restaurant just off it. Every floor has bookshelves and books and artwork in the hallways. Parking is limited to valet ($45 a night) but the valet drivers are really good. There is very little Hyatt branding, it's limited to pretty much a small sign by the entrance which I think is fitting of an Unbound.

Check In: The agent was very friendly and we were able to get into our room at 1:30. We were thanked for our low tier (Discoverist?) status and offered a 2 PM late check out and free enhanced wifi.

Room: A little on the small side but still quite nice. There was a small desk, two comfortable beds, USB outlets next to the bed (no normal sized ones), a TV, small mini bar and larger than expected bathroom with two sinks. I was surprised to see the same toiletries as the Grand Hyatt properties I've stayed at. Service was very prompt, both with my laundry (prices were very reasonable too). The hotel also found out it was my brother's birthday and they brought him two beers and a slice of cake. I will note that wifi only worked in certain parts of the room which is annoying.

The hotel is a little on the expensive side but it's really nice. I'd gladly come back because it's frankly one of the best stays I've had in the US.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have an upcoming stay. I'm booked in an ultra-small petite queen but chances for an upgrade (at least to a larger room) look very good -- there is tons of availability and they just dropped prices by $20/night (which I just took advantage of by switching room types and then switching back).

I got an email offering me a 4-Texan-beer add-on (delivered to room) for $30. The price is not bad (actually, I have no idea what going out for a drink costs in Austin... for SF you would probably pay more than this in a bar) Are these decent beers? Local / interesting / hard to find stuff? Also is it really just $30 (plus whatever taxes apply) or do they tack on room delivery / convenience fees?

I'm really excited about this hotel... it looks beautiful.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I have an upcoming stay. I'm booked in an ultra-small petite queen but chances for an upgrade (at least to a larger room) look very good -- there is tons of availability and they just dropped prices by $20/night (which I just took advantage of by switching room types and then switching back).

I got an email offering me a 4-Texan-beer add-on (delivered to room) for $30. The price is not bad (actually, I have no idea what going out for a drink costs in Austin... for SF you would probably pay more than this in a bar) Are these decent beers? Local / interesting / hard to find stuff? Also is it really just $30 (plus whatever taxes apply) or do they tack on room delivery / convenience fees?

I'm really excited about this hotel... it looks beautiful.
4 Beers for $30 (before tax and probably a service charge) seems pretty steep. They have a huge and very elaborate cowboy-themed bar... why not just wait and order up when you get there? That's what I'd do....

As for the rooms, they are tiny. I was barely upgraded at all when I was there as a Globalist (and got a whiff of attitude when I commented on this). Personally I prefer the HR Austin over the Drisk but I know I'm in the minority. HR Austin = Great upgrades, beautiful renovated rooms, easy parking, great views, good food, nice people, and located adjacent to the Bat Bridge which is still an easy walk to the bars if that's your main focus. It's a renovated classic Hyatt atrium design.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. Good to have a backup plan in case they don't upgrade me, but I've never had a problem with this before (subject to availability, of course). It's looking pretty wide open over Thanksgiving though so I'm sure it will be fine.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
3-night award stay (Cat 1-7 cert plus points) over the MLK long weekend.

Good:
- If you want access to downtown Austin and the lively bar scene, the location cannot be beaten.
- Beautiful first floor lobby and second floor Driskill Bar. Great historical touches throughout the building.
- Good Globalist breakfast benefit - $100 daily credit at the 1886 Cafe and Bakery (not available through room service) - the Cafe is open until 2:30pm, and there's a takeaway counter with coffee/pastries/etc., so I was able to apply the credit towards multiple purchases over the course of a single morning/afternoon.
- $45/day valet parking fee never showed up on my folio, per Globalist award stay regs.
- Decent upgrade considering the hotel was sold out (no suites available for sale) - booked vintage king, was given a deluxe king corner room on the 10th floor (originally was offered same room on the top 12th floor, but a fellow Globalist had a late 4pm checkout LOL so I took the 10th floor option since it was ready). Nice sitting area with loveseat and armchair and an additional vanity and sink outside the bathroom.
- Small but nice 2nd floor gym with modern cardio machines and full-length windows with street viewing.
- Good service, if not quite luxury hotel quality.

Less good:
- Not great for sleeping. The elevator was right next to the room, there was some street noise even on the 10th floor, and the curtains are set back from the windows allowing light to seep in. There is a ceiling fan though which is a nice touch.
- The bathroom door could not be fully closed, due to being crooked on its hinges. Had I not been traveling solo, that would have been highly annoying. The closet door also did not close. Sink stoppers barely opened, resulting in slow drains and a buildup of gunk. Old faucets and fixtures throughout.
- Globalist welcome letter specifies 2 bottles of water daily in room - these are found in the mini-fridge - and of course I was instantly charged for removing them which requires a manual folio adjustment. Waters were not replenished after the first day.
- The common areas of the hotel are VERY busy. There is live music in the bar each night (plus Sunday brunch) and it was packed at all hours. Also expect to wait for a table for breakfast as the Cafe is quite bustling.
- The historic nature of the hotel makes for some strange design elements, such as needing to walk up a flight of stairs and through part of the bar in order to reach the tower rooms elevator bank, and the gym being located right next to the ballroom (I walked out in my workout gear and literally bumped into a bride in full wedding regalia, LOL).
- The mens locker room in the fitness center has no lockers. There is a small steam room and a shower available, but no place to change clothes or store belongings. Very odd and frankly makes those amenities functionally useless. There are two massage rooms, but no list of services/prices/availability was provided.

Overall, this was an OK use of the Cat 1-7 certificate, but in the future I will return to the delightful HR Regency instead
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I was in the same room as you. 10th floor, right by the elevator, bathroom door doesn't close properly.

You can call down to the restaurant to avoid the breakfast wait. I found that by calling when I woke up, I had no problem getting a reservation for 30 min later (allowing me to shower, etc)

I love the hotel but the price is a little low to use a cat 1-7 cert IMO. I'm not sure what the rate was when you were there but I didn't pay that much.

Did you get a welcome amenity? I did (I posted a picture upthread). A couple of bottles of beer on ice and a bowl of home made beef jerky were waiting for me in the room.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Did you get a welcome amenity? I did (I posted a picture upthread). A couple of bottles of beer on ice and a bowl of home made beef jerky were waiting for me in the room.
Negative. But they did replace my waters eventually.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dpb132

Negative. But they did replace my waters eventually.
Too bad they aren't consistent with the amenity. It's probably that they changed your room due to the late checkout in the other room -- they didn't know it would be your room when they made it up.

Still, I'd expect it when they make your room up after the first night. Maybe they just forgot.

I know that the amenity is not Hyatt policy, but it's a nice gesture, and honestly one of the ways that I judge a hotel.

I don't like the way that they handle the water thing either. That was the one part of my stay that was not seamless.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton
I just booked three nights for later this year with points. I asked about a suite upgrade, and one was available. After Hyatt agent called the hotel to block the suite, she came back and said that the person at the hotel recommended using the upgrade for the King Deluxe room instead of the Junior Suite. Apparently, the deluxe room has nicer decor, but I've never been required to use a suite upgrade for a non-suite room. They seemed to be communicating that I'm not going to like the Junior Suite. I ended up not using the upgrade to check into the matter. Does anyone have an opinion on which room is better? Or whether it is worth using an upgrade at all? I didn't end up using all my upgrades last year, so I'm inclined to use it if there is any benefit, but something seems off about using it for non-suite.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jrlitt
I just booked three nights for later this year with points. I asked about a suite upgrade, and one was available. After Hyatt agent called the hotel to block the suite, she came back and said that the person at the hotel recommended using the upgrade for the King Deluxe room instead of the Junior Suite. Apparently, the deluxe room has nicer decor, but I've never been required to use a suite upgrade for a non-suite room. They seemed to be communicating that I'm not going to like the Junior Suite. I ended up not using the upgrade to check into the matter. Does anyone have an opinion on which room is better? Or whether it is worth using an upgrade at all? I didn't end up using all my upgrades last year, so I'm inclined to use it if there is any benefit, but something seems off about using it for non-suite.
the jr. suite is not worth burning a TSU in. Suites at the HRAustin on the river are a much better value. Only plus I like for the Driscoll are its location for nightlife if thats your thing and if your a globalist the breakfast is better.
The Drscol has constantly tried to up sell to better suites. I think they charged me $150 a night to upgrade to their executive suites
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by martinplas

the jr. suite is not worth burning a TSU in. Suites at the HRAustin on the river are a much better value. Only plus I like for the Driscoll are its location for nightlife if thats your thing and if your a globalist the breakfast is better.
The Drscol has constantly tried to up sell to better suites. I think they charged me $150 a night to upgrade to their executive suites
+1 for Hyatt Regency Austin. I like it much better than the Driscoll.... and the suites there are very nice. Location is still good w/awesome views.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.