Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Maximizing Northern Virginia / DC / MD Hyatt mattress runs

Maximizing Northern Virginia / DC / MD Hyatt mattress runs

Old Jan 30, 13, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by lowimpact View Post
If there's a particularly cheap rate out near Dulles could you book a block of nights then just check-in the first night? Anyone foresee any problems getting stay credit for a 2-4 night stay you wouldn't actually be present for?
You might want to give the front desk some cover story-otherwise, housekeeping could report the room as vacant after the first day.
Old Jan 30, 13, 9:33 am
Original Poster

If there's a particularly cheap rate out near Dulles could you book a block of nights then just check-in the first night? Anyone foresee any problems getting stay credit for a 2-4 night stay you wouldn't actually be present for?
Just to clarify my earlier question - I was wondering if I'll run into any problems getting "night" credit for a multi-night stay where I'll just be checking in / won't actually be present. I already know that a booking like this won't count as multiple "stays" but I just need a few more "nights" for the diamond challenge and was considering booking a 4 night stay at one of the cheaper locations near Dulles.
Old Jan 30, 13, 10:00 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Just to clarify my earlier question - I was wondering if I'll run into any problems getting "night" credit for a multi-night stay where I'll just be checking in / won't actually be present. I already know that a booking like this won't count as multiple "stays" but I just need a few more "nights" for the diamond challenge and was considering booking a 4 night stay at one of the cheaper locations near Dulles.
The real thing with this not the worry of getting credit, but that the prices go up off weekend enough to rarely make it worth while.
Old Jan 30, 13, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tenmoc View Post
The real thing with this not the worry of getting credit, but that the prices go up off weekend enough to rarely make it worth while.
So you think I'll have no problem getting the 2-4x nights to credit?
Old Jan 30, 13, 10:26 am

So you think I'll have no problem getting the 2-4x nights to credit?
Just be sure to check out-online or otherwise. I'm sure Hyatt will be glad to have your business.
Old Jan 31, 13, 8:28 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
Just be sure to check out-online or otherwise. I'm sure Hyatt will be glad to have your business.
Won't really help since they may check you out when housekeeping finds the room unoccupied. Best way would be to leave some stuff in the room if you are close enough to retrieve it on last day (or night before). Otherwise telling the front desk that you want the room for the whole period but you may be gone overnight in between may work.
Old Jan 31, 13, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by peteropny View Post
Won't really help since they may check you out when housekeeping finds the room unoccupied. Best way would be to leave some stuff in the room if you are close enough to retrieve it on last day (or night before). Otherwise telling the front desk that you want the room for the whole period but you may be gone overnight in between may work.
Good advice. It's really none of their business how you use your room (as long as it's legal) but it is a good idea to make sure they know you are "occupying" it for the length of time you have booked.
Old Feb 1, 13, 12:58 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I've been checked out by housekeeping [by someone???] at Hyatt Place Dulles East when doing a multiple chain mattress run. I went from the Sheraton next door back to the Hyatt for Breaky - paid nights at both hotels - and my room was gone by ~8AM.

Side note, I believe that both of these hotels are run by the same management company.

Cheers -
Old Feb 1, 13, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by thegrailer View Post
I've been checked out by housekeeping [by someone???] at Hyatt Place Dulles East when doing a multiple chain mattress run. I went from the Sheraton next door back to the Hyatt for Breaky - paid nights at both hotels - and my room was gone by ~8AM.

Side note, I believe that both of these hotels are run by the same management company.

Cheers -
Very interesting and ambitious mattress run. Maybe a "Do Not Disturb" sign will keep pesky housekeeping away.
Old Feb 1, 13, 8:48 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
Very interesting and ambitious mattress run. Maybe a "Do Not Disturb" sign will keep pesky housekeeping away.
This is something I like to do in this area.

Hyatts and Hyatt Places can often be had for $80 or less around here. Makes for a nice grab of stays.

If I'm going to still be in the area in the morning to actually check out, i will always put up the DND before hand though.
Old Feb 1, 13, 4:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I'll second the Dulles weekend mattress runs. Good for all hotel chains.
Old Feb 1, 13, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Delta, Hyatt, YMCA
I've found scattered tips for maximizing NoVa / DC / MD properties in the various MASTER review threads (cheap rates, reliably closed clubs, etc.), but nothing central. Two favorites to get things rolling:

Park Hyatt DC -> $100 food & beverage through FHR + $35 per person diamond breakfast makes this a very indulgent option
Hyatt House Falls Church/Merrifield -> cheap, new, free parking, next to Angelika indie theater / Mosaic center
Are you saying that you were able to book Park Hyatt in DC for 100 usd? Or am i missing the message here? Thank you for clarifying.
Old Feb 1, 13, 6:22 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by RobbyBobby View Post
Are you saying that you were able to book Park Hyatt in DC for 100 usd? Or am i missing the message here? Thank you for clarifying.
I think the OP means that if you book through FHR (AMEX plat / centurion), there's an associated $100 credit for. F&B coupled with free breakfast for diamonds could make this a good option.
Old Feb 4, 13, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Delta, Hyatt, YMCA
Originally Posted by peteropny View Post
I think the OP means that if you book through FHR (AMEX plat / centurion), there's an associated $100 credit for. F&B coupled with free breakfast for diamonds could make this a good option.
Thank you for clarifying this for me.
Old Feb 7, 13, 4:00 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
An additional part of the answer to this question is when to do it. Excellent times of the year for hotel hopping are around Christmas to New Years, Thanksgiving, and the days around the Fourth of July if it falls on a good day of the week. These are times when "everybody" (the transient DC population) goes home, and visitors drop to nil. This applies to properties all the way into the District @ less than $100. In DC, they can be $75. The suburban properties, full service included, may be ~ $50. Dulles and Fair Lakes can be the lowest.

It pays to book when you see a price you like (not advance purchase) but keep watching close-in, because they often will go down further.

This used to be a wonderful FFN earning strategy. One of the best things about it is that there's always something to do in and around DC if you can deal with the humidity at some times of the year.

Search this Thread