Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The LA Hotel Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 18-Aug-14

The LA Hotel Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 18-Aug-14

Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
low quality build in suite

I stayed here 2 weeks ago. I used a suite update, and was put on the club floor(11th?) (club was closed) and the suite was the closest room to the elevators (not a problem, didn't hear traffic)

This seemed like a post-renovation room, the carpet/appearance matched the post-renovation photos being advertised in banners in the lobby

The room itself was a large single room with a sitting area and a sleeping area

The areas were separated by a credenza with a TV that faced the sleeping area

There was no way to watch TV from the sitting area, instead you had a full view of the wiring

The sitting area had no view, no window at all - the only window was partially over the sleeping side of the room.

The desk was cramped into the sleeping area

The sitting area had a floor lamp in the outer wall corner, it did not throw enough light to make it across the area

There was a large dark corner in the sitting area, with a built-in closet, which had no lighting at all. This was around a bend from the sleeping area, so the well lit portion of the suite did not compensate for what seemed to be an incomplete room

The bathroom was very cramped. It had a shower in one corner, and a tub with no shower head in the other.

The shower was very poorly built - it was so small that it was difficult to get in and out of, given that the glass door opened inward. The guards between the glass panels did not handle the water, using the shower results in a significant puddle in the rest of the bathroom

The room really needs to be completely redesigned, and it appeared to be rather new.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Just booked a room for June; hope the renovations are over by then

Based on online reviews, the renovated rooms seem to be rated much better than any of the other nearby 4 stars including the Westin, Sheraton or Doubletree

Last edited by LonghornDXB; Apr 11, 2013 at 6:11 am
Old May 16, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
eMail?

Trying to find out how to contact the Hotel via eMail but couldnt find any...
Appreciate any feedback
Old May 27, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Review 5/13

We just returned from a two night stay over a three days.

We booked Vista Suite and it was nice. Bedroom has an assortment of lighting and its own TV.

Sitting has a TV and sleeper sofa. We were on 10 floor. Of the two rooms 1048 seemed to be fitted nicer with a glass door on shower. However 1001 had a better view of down town a bit less noise from the 110 freeway. 1001 Had smaller shower and a shower curtain.

When we checked in late at 1048 we had 4 bottles of waters and 2 mints. When we checked in to 1001 we only had 2 bottles of water. So it seems they are still working out the performance issues.

Could not figure out how in the world to turn off the recessed lighting at headboard at 1048. There was not any in 1001.

Club was still "under renovation" as of 5/24/13. We were on club level but water had to do.

We did not have a chance to eat or use other facilities while there.

Front desk staff was great and fast as were the valets.

It is a bit of a hike from the check in desk to the elevators.

Halls and new decor are nice.

I would go back if on sale or if I had business in downtown. I am probably still partial to Century City property.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Anyone tried overnight parking in some of the nearby parking garages. It looks like you can park for $16/night within a block of the hotel.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by Jeeves
Anyone tried overnight parking in some of the nearby parking garages. It looks like you can park for $16/night within a block of the hotel.
staying here in two months so would like to know as well. I checked info on World Trade Center since it's across street but I didn't see anything all that less expensive than the hotel for overnight parking. early-in and evening parking is all i saw that was discounted.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist
On weekends you can actually park on the street right in front of the hotel.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:30 pm

I was here in April and learned about parking the hard way. There are two lots across Figueroa under the WTC building. The one that has an entrance off Figueroa (across from the hotel) discourages overnight parking (IRRC). The lot that you enter off 3rd st has a $16 per night rate. The lots look the same (and are only separated by a wire) but they have very different fee structures.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I stayed here again a week ago

I had a regular room, it had been renovated.

The bathroom was actually nicer than the suite bathroom I was in earlier in the year - they had removed the tub and installed a shower in that space - a much nicer solution than what they did in the suite, which was keep the outdated tub in place (with no shower head) and cram a standing shower into the corner next to the toilet - so that it's way too tight to even get into the shower and close the door. Anyone bigger than me would have had certain difficult, it was awkward for me to get in and out.

WIFI login didn't work, had to spend time on the phone with tech support to manually add my computer to the login system. I told the tech support person I had a diamond 4pm checkout, though this was ignored and my WIFI expired at noon on checkout day.

Breakfast is nice

The pool could be fine, but is neglected. The furniture needs to be updated. The lounge chairs are designed to have removable pads on them, but none are available. The WIFI does not reach the pool.

I had a car on Saturday - was able to park on the street on the one-way down to main road from the hill.

They forgot to post my bonuses, I had to call in.

Most signs say that it'll be a Regency in the spring 2013 after $20m renovation. Other signs say $25m renovation underway.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:52 am

I used this parking website to locate the $16 parking option. There is also one listed as $8 per night. I don't know how reliable the rates are on the parking locator website. I will be staying on a Monday night.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by BobR
I was here in April and learned about parking the hard way. There are two lots across Figueroa under the WTC building. The one that has an entrance off Figueroa (across from the hotel) discourages overnight parking (IRRC). The lot that you enter off 3rd st has a $16 per night rate. The lots look the same (and are only separated by a wire) but they have very different fee structures.
so, if you are heading north on Figueroa with the hotel on your left, you'd turn right onto 3rd and enter that parking garage on the right?

edit: zoomed in to street level on google maps and saw the entrance. says $7 for night rate but assuming that requires leaving by 2am or something
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin
so, if you are heading north on Figueroa with the hotel on your left, you'd turn right onto 3rd and enter that parking garage on
Yes, this is the lot I was speaking of.

I did not hear about a $7 per night rate.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
The LA Hotel Downtown (to be Hyatt Regency after Renovations) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

As the lounge is closed do Diamond members get the 2500 points? If so do I need to request them upon check-in/out?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
As this property is not flagged as a Hyatt Regency or Grand Hyatt yet no 2,500 for a closed lounge.
This property is really dragging its feet on completion of the re branding.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 3:25 pm

You can get 2500 bonus points per night by applying the LA2500 special offer code.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.