Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Can't Upgrade w/Diamond Cert, but can with points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1KMM; Hyatt Lifetime Globalist

Has anyone seem this before? Perhaps at other Hyatts?

I have a 6 night stay lined up at Grand Hyatt Singapore (Jan 11-17) booked into a Grand Deluxe room. Wanted to use my diamond upgrade cert that was expiring in Feb - and the reservations agent at the GH Singapore informed me the room type is definitely not available for my stay. (I have a slight discount corporate rate that qualifies as eligible stay).

But just out of luck I re-asked different questions to him.

1) Is the duplex suite available with diamond cert via any type of rate, such as the rack rate? [A: No, definitely not available]

2) Is the duplex suite available for booking as a paid night? [A: Yes]

3) What if I paid Hyatt.com rate for a standard room and used points to upgrade [A: Yes]. To his surprise, the room type (duplex suite) was instantly available for upgrade with this method.

I ended up booking with Hyatt.com rates for a standard room, confirming the upgrade with 12000 points, then calling the Diamond line to have them fix it. Evidently the system isn't fixable, so what they did was they called the GH Singapore, asked them to block off the room, and booked me into the cheapest rate and then pulled 1 cert.

This is troubling to me because this isn't the only time this past years where the GH Singapore or a couple of other Asia hyatts have told me the room type for upgrade was not available and i Never asked what if i paid rack/hyatt.com rate and used points....

has anyone had similar experiences elsewhere? It sounds to me some hotels in Asia have their systems programmed in a way that makes the diamond upgrade cert less usable. I thought that the Diamond cert was suppose confirmable as long as there is an available room of that type for booking as a paid night - since when did this change?

Last edited by jzrandom; Jan 6, 2013 at 6:05 pm
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would you call the property to use dia upgrade cert? IIRC those are supposed to be booked via dia desk.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1KMM; Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Diamond desk didnt see any availability....asked me to try the hotel at checkin, or try to call them.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by jzrandom
Diamond desk didnt see any availability....asked me to try the hotel at checkin, or try to call them.
They should call for you. Needing to call is not abnormal. Not sure why they didn't call the property. Most agents will do that if they need to.

-David
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:05 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I could be wrong, but I used to be able to apply e-certs for local resident rates but when I tried recently I was told I could not.

Perhaps your corporate rate is no longer eligible.

Generally e-certs used to apply to more rates than the restrictive 6,000 point upgrade, but perhaps this has changed.

As other have stated, the Diamond line should call the property while they place you on hold.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:59 am

I would suggest calling central reservations again, as in all likelihood a slightly discounted corporate rate is eligible for upgrade using a diamond suite upgrade. If you get a better agent who knows how to deal with the property, perhaps you can save your 12k points and a bit of money.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Hmm, the duplex suite isn't the basic suite available at this property so I don't see why it would be bookable with points OR the diamond upgrade. From what you're implying, there seems to have been a problem with their computer system of it showed it as available with points but not the upgrade cert?

I wonder if this applies to any other Hyatts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.