Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Bangkok, Sukhumvit in Thailand REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Bangkok, Sukhumvit in Thailand REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:37 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Aventine
I was told the Handy phone company ended the phone services and took them back.
SCMP — Hong Kong start-up Tink Labs ends Handy smartphone service to nearly all markets amid restructuring

FT — Inside the unravelling of Tink Labs
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:01 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by helvetic
You'd rather have a wide selection of barely edible lounge food over free flow from 3 different bars with live music and real cocktails? You can get the most amazing meal for $2 outside the hotel… you know.
To each his own. Like I said, I find breakfast heaps better at SGS, but evening options better at HR. I don’t really drink alcohol, and most times when traveling by myself, I like to read a book or watch something on my ipad while in the lounge. So prefer the, usually calmer, lounge atmosphere to the live music and more noisy bar scene at SGS. Still love the SGS as a resort property tho.

P.S. I didn’t think the food at the HR was “barely edible” either.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:06 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by helvetic
You'd rather have a wide selection of barely edible lounge food over free flow from 3 different bars with live music and real cocktails? You can get the most amazing meal for $2 outside the hotel… you know.
SGS beats HR for happy hour (and breakfast), no doubt. HR beats SGS for hardware.

Originally Posted by AJLondon
To each his own. Like I said, I find breakfast heaps better at SGS, but evening options better at HR. I don’t really drink alcohol, and most times when traveling by myself, I like to read a book or watch something on my ipad while in the lounge. So prefer the, usually calmer, lounge atmosphere to the live music and more noisy bar scene at SGS. Still love the SGS as a resort property tho.

P.S. I didn’t think the food at the HR was “barely edible” either.
In my opinion the Library at SGS is a more quiet and more suitable environment to read than the lounge at HR.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:40 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by escape4
SGS beats HR for happy hour (and breakfast), no doubt. HR beats SGS for hardware.
Both solid properties in terms of F&B offerings and the hard product. Preference is a matter of opinion

In my opinion the Library at SGS is a more quiet and more suitable environment to read than the lounge at HR.
Except of course when the BTS train roars by every 5 minutes or so, 6 AM - Midnight!

Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Except of course when the BTS train roars by every 5 minutes or so, 6 AM - Midnight!
Are you saying the lounge at HR is less affected by BTS noise than the Library at SGS? I don't think I can agree with that statement if it is what you meant.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Are you saying the lounge at HR is less affected by BTS noise than the Library at SGS? I don't think I can agree with that statement if it is what you meant.
The library is a mere 10 meters or so directly from the BTS line while the HR lounge is located on the side of the building not facing the BTS line on the 27th floor. So, yes, I am saying the lounge at HR is definitely less affected by BTS noise than the Library at SGS!

Nana Station as seen from the HR Lounge balcony on the 27th floor
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:37 pm

The library is a mere 10 meters or so directly from the BTS line while the HR lounge is located on the side of the building not facing the BTS line on the 27th floor. So, yes, I am saying the lounge at HR is definitely less affected by BTS noise than the Library at SGS!
I have never noticed BTS noise from the Library! I will pay attention more next time to confirm if I still disagree with you, but it always struck me as a quiet place! Unlike the HR lounge which is noisy mostly because of guests.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The library is a mere 10 meters or so directly from the BTS line
False. The Library is at least 50 meters from the windows that face BTS line. They are all the way at the far end of the Living Room.
I have never noticed BTS noise from the Library!
Ditto. Library is a great place to work or read.

In fact, no idea what Kalboz is talking about. The Library has no windows.

I often have breakfast at one of the window tables in the Orchid Garden which are directly across Sukhumvit from BTS line. I've never noticed any noise, but rather quite enjoy watching the trains go past. SGS is extremely well noise insulated.

"BTS noise" in the Library is a non-issue.

Last edited by Kacee; Jan 13, 2020 at 8:16 pm
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I have spent weeks in both SGS Library and HR Regency Club. Subway noise has never been an issue for noise for me in either. I do work in both during the day where I need to focus and generally need silence. If anything Library is quieter as the HR CL is so narrow. and people always walk about as they check in. That said I wouldn't call either loud.

Both properties are great. I'm staying at HR more now as I switch from Marriott to Hyatt but both great. Food at SGS better, especially breakfast, but I prefer the suites at HR.
Kacee and escape4 like this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
False. The Library is at least 50 meters from the windows that face BTS line. They are all the way at the far end of the Living Room..
You can troll me until you are blue in the face, but doesn't change the fact as I showed in the above posted videos that the train rattles the library!

At the 27th floor HR lounge which facing lower Sukhumvit (and not the actual train line), the BTS passes unnoticeable!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You can troll me until you are blue in the face, but doesn't change the fact as I showed in the above posted videos that the train rattles the library!
I don't think you even know where the Library is.

Your images didn't post.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Ditto. Library is a great place to work or read.

"BTS noise" in the Library is a non-issue.
Thanks for confirming that I am not suffering for early loss of hearing as I never heard any noise from the Library before
Kacee and ZBigFam like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:54 pm

weird -- your videos in the other post are just black frames for me.

I've never felt or heard the BTS going by in the Living Room. The Living room and Orchid Cafe below it have windows facing Sukhumvit and the BTS.

The Library is midway across the hotel behind the Living Room, pretty far from those windows.

-David
ZBigFam and escape4 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:44 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok people please relocate discussions of the SGS to its thread and not this one of the HR Sukumvit. Thanks!

peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:24 pm

Great news for us ... bad news for the property as it's dropping one category to 8K Hyatt points a night redemption!

137 Pillars Suites & Residences Bangkok Thailand 6 7 25,000 30,000
Akyra Beach Resort Phuket Thailand 3 4 12,000 15,000
Aleenta Resort & Spa Hua Hin Thailand 5 4 20,000 15,000
Aleenta Resort and Spa Phuket Thailand 6 7 25,000 30,000
Cape Fahn Hotel Thailand 5 6 20,000 25,000
Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit Thailand from Category 3 to 2 12,000 to 8,000
Keemala Thailand 7 8 30,000 40,000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.