FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1402179-andaz-amsterdam-prinsengracht-review-master-thread.html)

Sophoclefr Nov 24, 2023 9:39 am

Will remember to be more cautious next time but it didn’t cross my mind that a full service Andaz in a major European capital wouldn’t honour WoH T&Cs…

Strangely again the booking (cash so nothing to do with the upgrades not visible on point bookings) still says King Bed Atrium View but in the Cancellation Policy footnotes it states “Andaz Large Suite confirmed”.

Hyatt IT…

Billy Mumphrey Dec 13, 2023 11:15 am

Had a very enjoyable 3 night stay earlier this month. This was our first time in Amsterdam, and the location was absolutely perfect for the sites we wanted to visit. I emailed the hotel a few days in advance of our arrival and they let me know we were upgraded from an Atrium View king to a Canal View king. Room was really nice, with fantastic canal views, and the Globalist breakfast was very tasty (choice of 1 breakfast entree off the menu + access to the buffet). The hotel also had a complimentary genever tasting every night at 5pm.

Was deciding between this and the HR across town, and so glad we went with the Andaz.

rota Dec 13, 2023 3:41 pm

Anybody has an idea, what renovations will be happening here in first half of 2024? The hotel actually is rather new, I would say.
It's stated in the newest Hyatt news, that there will be a renovation ongoing here.

llb09 Dec 15, 2023 5:29 am

Originally Posted by rota (Post 35820273)
Anybody has an idea, what renovations will be happening here in first half of 2024? The hotel actually is rather new, I would say.
It's stated in the newest Hyatt news, that there will be a renovation ongoing here.

Apparently only F&B outlets / maybe part of the Lobby. I don't think the rooms are concerned so the impact should be quite limited.

rota Dec 15, 2023 6:23 am

Originally Posted by llb09 (Post 35823894)
Apparently only F&B outlets / maybe part of the Lobby. I don't think the rooms are concerned so the impact should be quite limited.

THis would be exactly the other way round what I hoped for 😄

faboi0us Jan 3, 2024 7:09 pm

Stayed here this week and they are replacing carpet and minor renovations. Not too much noise or inconvenience as a guests.

First time at this property and the location is fantastic. However, breakfast quality and the service were fairly poor IMO. If not for the location, I would probably not return for the going rate. I usually have great experiences at Andaz properties, this and the Wall St property may be the worse ones I have visited thus far.

rota Jan 3, 2024 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by faboi0us (Post 35873919)
Stayed here this week and they are replacing carpet and minor renovations. Not too much noise or inconvenience as a guests.

carpets where?

faboi0us Jan 4, 2024 1:26 am

Originally Posted by rota (Post 35874339)
carpets where?

sorry, the garden view building ground floor

Sophoclefr Jan 13, 2024 1:25 pm

Hello,

Staying there for a weekend later this year (first time in Amsterdam) in a Large Andaz Suite (cash members advance purchase + SUA).

Two quick questions:

1/ As per the rate T&Cs the full stay amount was charged on my card on the day I booked it. Last week I got an unexpected/unauthorised charged from them. Immediately blocked it but a the same time asking them what it was they genuinely answered that it was « a missing part of the payment for my room ». Never happened to me at any hotel…any idea how they can justify that while the full rate stated on the booking confirmation has already been charged to my card 2 months ago??

2/ Does anybody have any experience with their Find Experiences (museums and/or city tours)?

Thanks!

baccarat_king Jan 13, 2024 1:46 pm

Are you 100% certain they charged the full amount in advance after you booked? Based on the charge that was settled on your credit card statement? I ask this since, many times, they (the hotel property) do not charge the full amount. But, looking at the confirmation often does not shed any light on this; therefore you really have to compare what was actually settled to your card as a deposit (any prepayment, even if 100% is still fundamentally a deposit).

Originally Posted by Sophoclefr (Post 35906090)
Hello,

Staying there for a weekend later this year (first time in Amsterdam) in a Large Andaz Suite (cash members advance purchase + SUA).

Two quick questions:

1/ As per the rate T&Cs the full stay amount was charged on my card on the day I booked it. Last week I got an unexpected/unauthorised charged from them. Immediately blocked it but a the same time asking them what it was they genuinely answered that it was « a missing part of the payment for my room ». Never happened to me at any hotel…any idea how they can justify that while the full rate stated on the booking confirmation has already been charged to my card 2 months ago??

2/ Does anybody have any experience with their Find Experiences (museums and/or city tours)?

Thanks!

Sophoclefr Jan 15, 2024 2:22 am

Yes…
Total for 2 nights was EUR1,075 plus EUR75 taxes and I was charged EUR1,150 on my Amex.
Last week I was charged without any justification or authorisation an extra EUR48 and reaching them they insist it was « a missing part of the payment for my room » ???

HadesNL Jan 15, 2024 3:09 am

The only reason i can think of:

2024 saw the city of Amsterdam increase its tourist tax
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/trave...024/index.html

"nightly fee built into hotel room prices will jump to 12.5% of the room rate."

as you wrote you booked 2 months ago, maybe it had the old calculation embedded in the reservation but not the new calculation....

Some were fighting it at end 2023 but lost:
https://www.khn.nl/nieuws/tarief-toe...ers%20gestuurd.

And official in Dutch:
https://www.amsterdam.nl/veelgevraagd/Belastingtarieven-2024#
https://www.amsterdam.nl/veelgevraagd/toeristenbelasting-2c7c2#

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bfec534d4.jpeg

So i guess your situation,
Booked in 2023: tourist tax: €3 p.p. + 7% of room rate
Billed in 2024 : tourist tax : 12,5 % of roomrate
= might be your discrepancy ....

I am unaware of your situation but many Americans seem to find chargebacks + escalating to corporate the best idea to fight this ....
argument booking in 2023 has old taxes vs staying and billed in 2024 has new taxes :
no one at checkin from reception bothered to inform you of this hike with verbal of written language

As a resident i do find this 12,5% increase based on room rate absurd but hey that's modern politics in Amsterdam nowadays....
It will be only a matter before ... % service charge will be copied from the US (seems to have landed in UK already)

llb09 Jan 15, 2024 4:38 am

The 48 EUR you were charged afterwards seem to match exactly the difference in City Tax. I’ve had the exact same issue at another property in AMS (Pulitzer) for a booking made in 2023 and a stay planned for 2024. IMO not much the hotel can do to waive this except better notice.

Sophoclefr Jan 15, 2024 5:16 am

Makes sense thank you…
But still strange to be charged more than what was agreed at the time of booking.
It shouldn’t be retroactive on bookings made in 2023?
I’ve already blocked it with Amex but guess hotel will ask for it again at check in/out?

skj Jan 15, 2024 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Sophoclefr (Post 35910249)
Makes sense thank you…
But still strange to be charged more than what was agreed at the time of booking.
It shouldn’t be retroactive on bookings made in 2023?
I’ve already blocked it with Amex but guess hotel will ask for it again at check in/out?

You might want to look at your confirmation. All of mine say something like "Taxes and fees are subject to change based on dates of stay and local jurisdiction." in the fine print. It's unfortunate you initiated a chargeback because you will be liable for paying the difference in taxes.