Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Aventine
Was scary to see it happening to us. Other luxury sedans do better in the temperatures there?
I know BM's have a problem in this climate with over heating, more so with the older models. I did not expect to hear a newer model having this issue so it's either a freak problem with this particular car or there are issues with their 5 series models still with the heat and humidity of Malaysia.

Have not heard of similar problems happening to Audi, Merc or other imports to be honest.

Nothing that is a consistent problem with over heating as far as a particular model goes to my limited knowledge.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wolf72
I know BM's have a problem in this climate with over heating, more so with the older models. I did not expect to hear a newer model having this issue so it's either a freak problem with this particular car or there are issues with their 5 series models still with the heat and humidity of Malaysia.

Have not heard of similar problems happening to Audi, Merc or other imports to be honest.

Nothing that is a consistent problem with over heating as far as a particular model goes to my limited knowledge.
This was a last generation black 5 series. But thanks for the info! Know which cars to avoid for next time.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 4:37 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Off topic,

I have no ovearheating problem with my bmw in Bangkok at all.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:03 am

DSU upgrade Diamond Amenities

Hi, just to check with you guys recently stayed here. As I stayed 2 years ago and receive a bottle of wine as diamond amenities like others Hyatt do. But this time no diamond amenities inside and being told the 3 Jar of sweets is the diamond amenities. Which obviously it's the suites supposedly to have.

http://www.kualalumpur.grand.hyatt.c...?stop_mobi=yes
Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by dlhy
Hi, just to check with you guys recently stayed here. As I stayed 2 years ago and receive a bottle of wine as diamond amenities like others Hyatt do. But this time no diamond amenities inside and being told the 3 Jar of sweets is the diamond amenities. Which obviously it's the suites supposedly to have.

Well that's obviously bogus as you point out. I will be there next weekend but will be selecting the 1W. I fully expect to have the three jars and two bottles and if I don't I'll want to know why.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
yes i did email them before arriving to request a twin tower view suite. however they replied back and suggested me to pay 250++RM per night to secure that suite. I didn't take it. at checked in, i also did ask for a standard twin tower view room, they said that all rooms and suites with this view were fully booked. no luck for me this time.

my current grand suite has view of surrounding buildings and KL tower (like you are in manhattan but 'not too tight' version. it's not that bad, just not twin tower view.

anyway you can have twin tower view on the club lounge or sky lobby.

hopes this help.

p.s. sorry for my poor english.
It does help -- Thank you. And you're right -- how long will I sit in my room staring out the window anyway? Better to have the extra space.
Your English is fine!
Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:07 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
Can anyone comment on watching NYE fireworks from GH? I assume a room with towers view should work?
If not, any other properties to consider?
I was in the lounge this past NYE at 11:59 looking at the towers, but the fireworks were to the east of the hotel (they were launched from the eastern side of the KLCC park) and couldn't be seen. As far as I can tell, there's nowhere in the hotel to view both the fireworks and the Towers because of the angle. The good news was that, while we were in a suite that did not have a Towers view, we had an amazing view of the fireworks from our room (as soon as we realized the situation, we ran there from the lounge)

NYE view from the lounge:

NYE view from our room:

Old Feb 27, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
no mention about diamond amenities at all when i checked in 2 days ago. (i would choose point anyway)

they sent 3 jars of cookies and 2 bottles of evian (0.75L) and said it was complimentary.

that's it.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Stayed here for a few days using a suite upgrade.

Service here was excellent. Diamond recognition at check in. No problem with late checkout.

The Grand Club was also excellent. The dishes served were enough for dinner. The club staff went out of their way to make sure you were OK.

Took breakfast at the restaurant. Here you get a choice of restaurant or Grand Club. The club was more exclusive (not as many guests) and had an egg station but not as much selection as the restaurant. Plus in the morning you get the sunrise and the three story view of the Petronas towers.

I stayed at the GH Singapore the night before. Breakfast only at the club and the cocktail hour was average. Definitely does not match the money you spend there per night. Which is obscenely expensive.

End result: GH KL kicks SG's butt both in experience and value (rate is less than 1/2 of SG GH rate). And has a nicer view. ^
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
no mention about diamond amenities at all when i checked in 2 days ago. (i would choose point anyway)

they sent 3 jars of cookies and 2 bottles of evian (0.75L) and said it was complimentary.

that's it.
I liked the two bottles of Evian and the cookies. Always good for snacking and I know I would finish off the two bottles. Can't say the same for mystery wine.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dlhy

I only got a generic card from the GM but no wine or welcome treats. That was weird but didn't care as it was a one night stopover.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
I stayed two years ago and got the wine, snacks and 2 waters. If I remember the wine wasn't anything special. I often google search the wine I get as an amenity as I rarely drink it and I check to see if it's worth bringing home with me--I don't think I have ever gotten a bottle that is worth more than 10 USD. Now I just ask for the points.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
I don't knwo if this is an issue, but perhaps the stopping of the wine amenity has to do with Malaysia being largely Muslim with a very high tax on alcohol?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I don't remember alcohol being that expensive in Malaysia. Certainly cheaper than in Thailand.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by gspurr
I don't knwo if this is an issue, but perhaps the stopping of the wine amenity has to do with Malaysia being largely Muslim with a very high tax on alcohol?
Perhaps the sudden increase in Diamonds makes the hotels to stop it once and for all as they need to prepared more than expected. Its still a cost although its not expensive.

The lounge here is one of the best tho. You will be full with the evening cocktail if you are not a big eater.

Personally i like the Grand Suite more than the Grand Executive Suite as the layout is better.

Grand Suite - Big living room, Big bed room, Big bathroom with big bathtub

Grand Executive Suite- Big living room, Big dining table space, Reasonable bedroom space with a small bathroom and a small bathtub

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.