Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Global Fall Promotion - Imagine the Possibilities - bonus points - 9/1/12-11/30/12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Fall Promotion - Imagine the Possibilities - bonus points - 9/1/12-11/30/12

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by wlau
Is Hyatt trying to drive its loyal customers away with this?
Your statement is a pure contradiction because Loyalty means you stay with the chain good and/or bad.

I think Hyatt is discovering who are their loyal customers are based on the weak promos. Whether they will further reward these loyal customer, remains to be seen.

PS: It is common knowledge, FFN won't be back for a while.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Your statement is a pure contradiction because Loyalty means you stay with the chain good and/or bad.

I think Hyatt is discovering who are their loyal customers are based on the weak promos. Whether they will further reward these loyal customer, remains to be seen.

I completely agree with you about discovering the true loyal customers. I choose Hyatt (with SPG as my backup) because overall they have much nicer properties than Marriott/Club Carlson/Hilton/etc. Also because the number of dollars I spend on stays translates to significantly more free nights at high end properties than any other chain (Marriott is close with my platinum bonus but not quite as good of a return as Hyatt w/diamond still). Looking at what I have booked for fall along with the fact that I have the Hyatt card I'm perfectly happy getting 78,000 points for nights I will anyways be spending at their hotels. I'll be getting an approx $2,500 bonus (78000 bonus/22000 cat 6 per night = 3.5 nights x average $750/night for cat 6 hotel revenue stay).

I should also note that both SPG's and Marriott's promos for this season are far weaker than Hyatt's when you compare the dollar value that you get out of the points awarded.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Who knows what is common knowledge or not when it comes to Hyatt promo plans.

If Hyatt has "loyal customers" that are so "loyal" as not to need to be further rewarded to get their business, then why reward them further? If anything, such "loyalty" would invite further tweaking to reward the customers less to see how little needs to be provided to optimize the revenue and profitability of the segment.

If loyalty means staying with the chain good and/or bad, it sounds as if the customers are prisoners in chains. However, this doesn't apply to Hyatt customers in the main, whether in the US or outside, whether with the Hyatt credit card or not. There are alternatives even if the overall marketplace isn't as competitive in the promotion arena as may have been the case previously.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:58 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It has been posted several times that FFN aren't returning for a while, by the person in charge of gold passport I believe. So that much is common knowledge.

If Hyatt has "loyal customers" that are so "loyal" as not to need to be further rewarded to get their business, then why reward them further? If anything, such "loyalty" would invite further tweaking to reward the customers less to see how little needs to be provided to optimize the revenue and profitability of the segment.
That is exactly what they are doing.

If loyalty means staying with the chain good and/or bad, it sounds as if the customers are prisoners in chains. However, this doesn't apply to Hyatt customers in the main, whether in the US or outside, whether with the Hyatt credit card or not. There are alternatives even if the overall marketplace isn't as competitive in the promotion arena as may have been the case previously.
I have stayed approximately 40 nights this year at Hyatts with no promos points earned. That was my free choice. I could have benefited more if I moved my business to other chains that ran promos that better suited my travel pattern, but I didn't. I am not a prisoner. I had freedom to choose to stay loyal.

Plus I have never earned 1 FFN, because I got into the game later than most that post here, I can't have a Hyatt credit card, and 90% of the time I don't earn any diamond amenity points because I don't stay in US based hyatt hotels.

So I have less reason to stay loyal.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Aug 7, 2012 at 4:07 am
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
It has been posted several times that FFN aren't returning for a while, by the person in charge of gold passport I believe. So that much is common knowledge.
Huh?

Several times? Not returning for a while? Common knowledge?

I do not think that it was posted like that at all.

The only comment from Jeff Zidell in that regard was that FFN needs a break.

Unfortunately Jeff is also taking very long breaks in between his posts these days and tries to play silly games with FT users... ( Stick with us, we are in it together, let's make GPP the best scheme on the planet, if not the Galaxy )

So your definition of this particular comment is highly subjective and therefore far far away from 'common knowledge'
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by FD1971
Huh?

Several times? Not returning for a while? Common knowledge?

I do not think that it was posted like that at all.

The only comment from Jeff Zidell in that regard was that FFN needs a break.

Unfortunately Jeff is also taking very long breaks in between his posts these days and tries to play silly games with FT users... ( Stick with us, we are in it together, let's make GPP the best scheme on the planet, if not the Galaxy )

So your definition of this particular comment is highly subjective and therefore far far away from 'common knowledge'
I, too, am aware of only that one comment (which I think was along the lines of "we decided that FFN needed a break," without indicating how long tha break was going to be), so if there are other sources for DHalltheway's knowledge that can be shared, I would find that helpful.

I think the concept of loyalty to a hotel chain, airline, etc. is perhaps overvalued, if not misplaced by some--we are talking about a BUSINESS run by strangers, not one's family or friends and it's not a moral issue. I'd suspect that nowadays Hyatt is more focused on its bottom line, return to shareholders and growth than anything else, but
I don't have any real knowledge, common or otherwise, for that. I can say that, though I've been a Diamond for about 10 years now, I don't think Hyatt has demonstrated any loyalty to me, at least since going public, but my views are probably colored by a very unsatisfactory experience a couple of years ago.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by rfrost
I, too, am aware of only that one comment (which I think was along the lines of "we decided that FFN needed a break," without indicating how long tha break was going to be), so if there are other sources for DHalltheway's knowledge that can be shared, I would find that helpful.

I think the concept of loyalty to a hotel chain, airline, etc. is perhaps overvalued, if not misplaced by some--we are talking about a BUSINESS run by strangers, not one's family or friends and it's not a moral issue. I'd suspect that nowadays Hyatt is more focused on its bottom line, return to shareholders and growth than anything else, but
I don't have any real knowledge, common or otherwise, for that. I can say that, though I've been a Diamond for about 10 years now, I don't think Hyatt has demonstrated any loyalty to me, at least since going public, but my views are probably colored by a very unsatisfactory experience a couple of years ago.
You summarized it almost perfectly.

Once credit cards become part the loyalty scheme, the focus shifts away from the former core business to the financial business. We have seen that in the car industry and airline industry as well, the hotel industry is no exception, Hyatt joined the party late, but seems to play the same game.

The logical consequence can be seen right now, truly loyal airline passengers and hotel guests do not earn as many points/miles anymore whereas credit card users become the new top elites, more or less regardless of their loyalty with the former core business of the company.

Giving out two nights in a suite at any property worldwide has been a clear sign already...
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:58 am
KKR
Formerly known as kkr

Programs: AA EXP, VX Gold, SPG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
I think this promotion is very mediocre... but then again, it's better than nothing. I need 20 more nights to requal for my Diamond anyway. I think I'm gonna 35 it due to this promotion though.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
Good post... reading through the threads and not just Hyatt you come to the conclusion some travelers are imprisoned by one chain... which is fine. I personally would hate to be chained to one brand...boring.

Also keep in mind Gold passport is a hotel loyalty program, Hyatt has to earn your loyalty, if the perks go down hill... what is wrong with looking elsewhere... Believe me Hyatt like all other hotels is more concerned about the guest that brings in the big $$$... they could care less how loyal you are if you don't spent the $$$.

Old Aug 7, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
The credit card was the worst thing that ever happened to Hyatt.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Dear FlyerTalkers,

We’re excited to announce the latest Hyatt Gold Passport global bonus point promotion, Imagine the Possibilities.

You can earn 5,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points after your first five eligible nights and 10,000 more for every five nights after that. Earn up to 65,000 bonus points redeemable for free nights with no blackout dates, room upgrades and more. Simply register by October 31 and stay at any Hyatt hotel worldwide from September 1 through November 30.

The more nights you stay, the more bonus points you earn!

Stay Earn Total Bonus Points Earned
5 Nights + 5,000 bonus points = 5,000
10 Nights + 10,000 bonus points = 15,000
15 Nights + 10,000 bonus points = 25,000
20 Nights + 10,000 bonus points = 35,000
25 Nights + 10,000 bonus points = 45,000
30 Nights + 10,000 bonus points = 55,000
35 Nights + 10,000 bonus points = 65,000

Plus, if you’re a Hyatt Credit Card member, you’ll earn 20% more bonus points – an additional 1,000 after your first five nights and 2,000 additional for every five nights after that.

For more information, please look for upcoming details on hyatt.com.

To register, please visit Hyatt.com or call 1-800-228-3360 on August 15. Registration ends October 31.

We look forward to welcoming you soon at any one of nearly 500 hotels around the world.

Safe travels,

Jeff Zidell

weak
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hobo13
All of the other hotel chains have them. It was a matter of time.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hobo13
The credit card promotion convinced me to get a Diamond Trial to maximize the experience of my two nights...and the Diamond experience during those two nights convinced me to make 12 nights of mattress runs to keep that status until 2014.

So, at least in this one instance, Hyatt's current policies worked out very well for their business.

Sorry it hasn't worked out so well for you.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:48 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hailstorm
The credit card promotion convinced me to get a Diamond Trial to maximize the experience of my two nights...and the Diamond experience during those two nights convinced me to make 12 nights of mattress runs to keep that status until 2014.

So, at least in this one instance, Hyatt's current policies worked out very well for their business.

Sorry it hasn't worked out so well for you.
^ It's all been good from my point of view. Would I like to see more? Who wouldn't, but Hyatt has fulfilled every commitment they've made to me. I decide where to sleep based on the best options at the time. Sometimes it's Hyatt and sometimes it's not. Hyatt will continue to be among my top choices. I'm betting they'll stay competitive in the field and will continue to earn my business when all factors are considered.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:44 am

Loyalty to a friend means you stick with them through the good and the bad. A hotel chain is not a friend; it is a business. And it makes no sense to stick with a business when better returns can be had elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.