Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt: Newport RI REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2002, 5:51 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum

I am trying to decide whether to stay at this property or the Marriott in Newport, RI. Any comments would be appreciated.
Is there any elegance or charm? Or is it more of a standard business hotel? Is the location desireable? Any other recommendations? I am going to ask the Marriott board also.

Thanks!

Old Jun 3, 2002, 7:18 pm

I haven't stayed at this property, but have seen it many times crossing the bridge into Newport.

I assume you're planning on staying there in the summer. If so, keep in mind how horrific parking in Newport can be at that time of year. The Hyatt is within walking distance of downtown, but it's not the same as staying at a B&B that's in the center of it all.

Also, if you haven't seen this web site already, you may want to check out http://www.newportmansions.org/home.php
Old Jun 3, 2002, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
We stayed at this Hyatt about 9 months ago. It was undergoing a renovation. We liked it. Rooms in the Captains Quarters are quite large and have nice views. Ask for a bay view. Breakfasts at the restaurant were excellent. There is a shuttle into central Newport, but you could walk it. The Marriott is very nice but per their web site, almmost no rooms have a view. For that reason we chose the Hyatt.
Old Jun 7, 2002, 8:23 am
Original Member

Location: Tyler, TX- Former Onepass Infinite Platinum +MM & CO * now UA-1K, Hyatt Diamond, ICH RA, Hilton HH Diamond VIP, Hertz Prez Circle, Clear Registered Traveler, BIG fan of Pre-Check
I've stayed there a number of times over the last 12 months and have always been treated royally. As a Diamond, I've been upgraded very time and have never even had to ask for the amenity - a rare treat these days.

DAW
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Bumping this one up to ask for more info on the Newport, RI property.

While being in the greater Boston area, can I assume that the RC is closed over the weekends at the Cambridge, MA Regency ?

Thanks in advance !
Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:42 pm

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
Sorry, but this property in Newport does not have a RC at all. And if you meant that this porperty it is in the Greater Boston Area, you will also be disappointed. It is at least 90 minutes driving time, excluding traffic and parking.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, the RC in Cambridge has not been open for quite some time. Did you mean this property as the one in the "Greater Bostn Area?"

Last edited by divaof travel; Dec 30, 2004 at 6:24 pm
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:01 am
Suspended

Stayed there this week and it was ok.

Check in area consists right now of a couple of tables and notebooks, cause they seem to renovate the place.Checked in around 7 and neither bellman nor valet service available.
Manager on duty was barely twenty, gave me a room, no breakfast or diamond amenity coupons and left me with no directions going to the eleavtor, where I could not the floor.Stepped out of the elevator again and asked about directions.At that point he pointed out the directions, but could not care to help further on, which left me with some more problems finding the room, hotel setup is strange with no logic behind apparently

Room assigned was ridicolous with a nice view of the parking lot.

Coming of two really down to earth dissapointing Hyatt stays at the Boston Harborside and Stanhope properties, I decided to complain via the phone.
Manager offered me to upgrade me to a bi-level suite and would check back, if I am entitled to a Diamond Amenity....

Well I don`t know why not and when I got back to the kind of lobby a supervisor was there and took care of everything.

Hotel itself is kind of dated, but they are renovating the place, easily half of the equipment in the gym was out of order and no cups whatsoever left to get some water to drink, pointed that out one evening, but still no cups the next morning....

Breakfast was good, coupon is good for any dish of the menu and my cooked to order omelette came with potatoes and toast. ^

Place was deserted and there was a bellman the next day, parking is $ 13 for self, $ 18 for valet, you do not have much of a chance to avoid the charges, since the property is on Goat Island and there is no free public parking...

Solid property, some rooms have a balcony and nice views of the Newport Bridge, however the quality of the service personel at check in is getting absolutely pathetic, we are still talking about a Hyatt, not a cashier at a local fast food outlet and I think one can somehow demand qualified personel at both, for sure at a 4 Diamond Hyatt rated property...
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
They were renovating the property 2-1/2 years ago when we stayed there. It's not complete by now ????
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
They were renovating the property 2-1/2 years ago when we stayed there. It's not complete by now ????
Probably the rooms only at that time ?

Right now it seems they are renovating the lobby completely and in addition to that parts next to the restaurant and the terrace adjacent to it, cause they used heavy and loud equipment for that...
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:57 pm

I'll provide some general comments. First, as a diamond I have found the hotel has always gone out of their way to upgrade me in advance to a suite if available, and if not to a Captains Quarters room (much larger, nice views). I'm not sure why you waited for arrival at the hotel to play room assignment roulette; the best thing about Hyatt's program is the ability to use 1-800-CHECK-IN, and as a diamond I always ask them to check if the hotel has pre-blocked an upgrade, and if not if they can call the hotel direct to see what might be available.

I have had the parking charges waived, without request, on virtually all of my stays, with them saying "oh, you are diamond and stay with us regularly, we won't charge you for parking". Not sure if it is the fact that I am diamond, or a repeat guest, but it is a nice gesture.

As you've noted, the breakfast coupons get you a full breakfast (buffet on the weekends) which makes it a great deal.

Summers, in addition to the heated indoor pool, they have an outdoor salt water pool, which is nice.

This hotel has had many flags over the years - Treadway, Sheraton, Doubletree and Hyatt are some of the more recent ones that I seem to recall, but it has become much nicer under the Hyatt flag, particularly the work in the spa, convention facilities, restaurant, and soft goods in the rooms. It still has a ways to go, but I've always had good experience there.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:57 pm

Hatt--Newport, RI

This hotel has had many flags over the years - Treadway, Sheraton, Doubletree and Hyatt are some of the more recent ones that I seem to recall,

Ops, was never a Treadway, it was originally a Hilton for a year or two.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Any updates on this property

Greetings,

We will be staying at this property on Feb. 25th. Did not notice any recent updates. Any advice on best rooms, amenities, restaurants, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old Feb 20, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, GP Platinum
Update on Property

Stayed there two weekends ago. The Captians Quarter rooms are complete and are very very nice. Modern look but comfortable with plasma TV, completely re-done. I would recommend one of those rooms. The hotel is definitely under construction, make no mistake about it, but they are doing there best to accomodate guests. The spa was closed and lounge moved, however for the price and location, I had no complaints. I will be returning when complete.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, OnePass, Skymiles, AA
Renovation review: Hyatt-Newport, RI

Just got back from there this weekend. Was given a room in the Captain's Quarters. King bed, LCD TV, bench couch under the window and full size desk & chair. This room [3306] was a duplex w/ another full bathroom, couch, LCD TV and small balcony w/ side views of the marina and ocean upstairs. Rooms were very clean and bathrooms were modern. Downstairs bath has twin sinks and huge standing shower w/ separate room for toilet. Upstairs bath room was standard tub and toilet w/ outside sink.

Common areas are under heavy construction and not worth visiting. Parking was close to elevator to Captain's Quarters so we didn't really visit the "lobby". They seemed to be running "check-in" from a converted coat closet, poor staff. We did not visit the renovated spa.

Complimentry van service to common parts of town was easy to get. Just let them know at the front desk and a staffer would drive you into town. Parking's hard to come by in certain parts so it's a blessing. "Chris" was very nice in recommending restaurants and taking us wherever we needed to go.

The staff in general was very accomodating in light of their limited resources.

Last edited by urvim; Mar 25, 2008 at 1:45 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 29, 2008, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diam Hertz Gold
Unhappy Few More Months

Recently stayed at this facility and it is undergoing a major renovation. I'm sure it will be nice in a few months, but even at a good rate I would look at another hotel nearby until renovation is complete. Possibly June one of the desk agents stated. There is link under Events under the hotels home page outlining some of the changes. Parking was very difficult as most of the lot was under construction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.