Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
I'm on property now and I love the place so far. As other have said the hard product is fantastis. Used an upgrade into a sea view suite great room but no plunge pool.

I have found the staff to be very friendly and professional the management is on top of things. No staff problems here and the Hotel is full.

Globalist get the buffet which is very good we ate at the Stone Barn which was also very good. A few hundred yards away you have the Spice Mill great food and drinks for half the price. The beach there is full of cruise ship people which I liked the party atmosphere.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:35 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Fantastic Resort

Park Hyatt St. Kitts Christophe Harbour

2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Banana Bay PO Box 1073 Basseterre, KN KN7000

Fantastic Resort (17 Photos)

I have been wanting to stay at this hotel for my 50th birthday, but the opening got delayed a couple of years... so finally made it and stayed for 7 nights in February 2019.

Pricewise, this is high season, so the standard rate with my corporate ID was around 612 USD. Thanks to the new WOH option, to use points in order to upgrade to Premium Suites, we were able to get the Park Executive Suite.  I however had to pay a standard rate of 769 USD.

The resort is an absolute gem. Extremely quite, wonderful grounds and pools, outstanding staff, great food. Albeit on the pricy side.

The hotel only has 126 rooms (including 48 Suites), and since the grounds are big, you almost feel alone. Even if the hotel were full, considering 2 guest per room, maybe in some with 1-2 kids, I doubt there are ever more than 300 guests present. 

As an information, there is a 10% service charge and 12% VAT added to all prices (room, food, drinks, etc).

What I noticed is, that for all incidential charges to my room, I received points also on service charge and VAT!! but not for the room rate.

Check In

We took a taxi from the airport. Cost was USD 30. for many taxi drivers, tourism as well as tours of the island are their sole income. So we got some interesting facts and figures on our way to the hotel. Added a 10$ tip. 

When we arrived at the hotel, the staff greeted me by name, since they knew when we'd arrive.

Very friendly checkin, received something to drink and a cool towel to refresh.

Since the resort is so spread out, they drive you with a golf cart to your room and give a short overview of the grounds.

Bags arrived shortly thereafter.

Room

General:

- the rooms named "beachside" (be it a regular room or suite) are on the ground level

- the rooms named "sea view" are on the first level.

- the premium suites (Nevis, Park Executive) are on the top floor with own pool

- the Penthouse Suite are 2 story suites, with main entrance on 1st floor, and pool on top.

The Nevis Suite is another Premium Suite, with own pool, but slightly smaller. The Park Executive Suite is simply fantastic and we were grateful to receive the larger suite (confirmed when booking).

20190201_164902.jpg

The king bed was the best bed I have had so far in any hotel (except that it did creak from time to time, becaus frame was made out of wood). But the view from the bed in the morning was simply marvelous. Since we had jetlag coming from Europe, we were awake around 5 am and could open the curtains and watch the sunrise while sipping a Nespresso coffee in bed.

20190203_064527.jpg

Bathroom:

20190201_165035.jpg

20190201_165643.jpg

Living room:

20190201_165713.jpg

Dining room:

20190201_165206.jpg

Patio / Pool:

20190201_165230.jpg

20190201_165249.jpg

Service

Service is impeccable. Nowhere have I ever found such friendly staff. In earlier posts to this thread there are remarks, that staff need to improve. I cannot relate to any of those comments (or everything has changed since).

They greet you all the time, when walking on the drive ways, the drivers of the cushmans wait until you have passed, greet you. 

every staff member gave 100% to make you feel at home and welcome. 

About 10 days prior to our arrival, we were contacted by e-mail about special room requests, such as the timings of housekeeping and turndown service. We requested between 9-10 am and 6pm. On ALL days (except Sunday, may have reduced staff), the serviced the room at these times.

Dining

There are a couple of restaurants, all of them were fully operational, although never full.

The Great House: this is where breakfast is served. Fanastic buffet, with omelette station as well. As a Globalist I could have the buffet, plus 1 entree, which we however never took advantage of, since the variety of the buffet is amazing.

We once had dinner here, both had the Sirloin Steak. excellent, huge, pricewise just about ok

Fisherman's Village: this was our favorite restaurant and pricewise quite decent. On Saturdays they have the "Kittitian Buffet", which we highly recommend. 70 USD all you can eat including lobster. We had both lunch and dinner there, and they are very accommodating to any request. e.g. we only wanted to share an appetizer salad, and the brought it on 2 separate plates, nicely decorated.

20190202_080402.jpg

The Stone Barn

We never had dinner here, as simply said, it is way too expensive. I have no doubt, that quality etc would have been excellent, but sorry, I will simply not pay 70 USD (plus 22% taxes/service charge) for a Paella.

I never saw more than 3 tables occupied in this restaurant.

You have other options just 5-15 minutes on foot down the beach. We once had lunch at the Raggae Beach Club which was also excellent, and just about half price.

20190207_123005.jpg

Overall

Overall, a fantastic resort and we will return. 

20190201_171653.jpg

20190202_080259.jpg

20190202_080302.jpg

20190202_152952.jpg

Concierge

On Sunday we wanted to rent a car. The Concierge mentioned, that an AVIS agent usually shows up around 9am (but it was Sunday, and no AVIS agent there). So the Concierge called Avis. I was able to book the car online in my app, and if it is a minimum Class "C" car, they deliver free of charge to the hotel.

You need a temporary drivers licence, which is issued through AVIS, valid for 3 months and costs 24 USD cash.

Parking at the hotel is at no charge.

Next time, we will again rent a car, there are a couple of nice places to go for dinner (e.g. Salt Place for sunset), or of course to Basseterre.

Mind, this Island was British territory, so it is right-hand driving on the left-hand side of the street. But if you can adjust, it is no big issue. The Kittitians drive very moderately and carefully as per my experience. 

Spa

Now, SPA... My wife and i are not the SPA people at all. But since a 50 minute massage was included for us in the premium suite, we took it.

It was very good.. BUT also very pricy. I honestly cannot really judge on the pricing, since we do not have experience, but our massage was charged to the room and subtracted again, and cost 450 USD for both. I would simply not pay that. 

For those of you interested, I have uploaded the SPA menu/pricing below:

20190208_063651.jpg

20190208_063701.jpg

Beach

Beautiful beach with some spots of Turqoise waters. The beach in front of the pool is better. As others have menioned, lower down towards the Presidential Villa there are some rocks.

It tends to be very windy, but if you walk down the beach towards the Reaggae Beach, it is very pleasant too. Keep in mind, the beach there will be crowded at times with all the tour busses coming with the Cruise tourists for the day. You can check the St. Kitts website on days, where there are no cruise ships in the harbor.

Pool

You must keep in mind, that currently NONE of the pools are heated. Others have written in this thread, that the main pools are heated. this is not true. I had spoken with the Director of rooms and she confirmed to me, that none o the pools are heated. the large pool may be slightly warmer, but only because it is shallower and all day in fully sun.

The are however considering using sun collectors to heat the pools, as the pool temperature seems to be one of the mose points being complained about. 

For February, it was too cold for my wife, she only managed on 2 days to quickly enter the pool, but not spend hours in the water as we had hoped. This was our only disappointment of the hotel.

20190205_103126.jpg

Gym

We used the gym twice. Super equipment, and luckily not cooled down as much as gyms in mainland USA :)

Fantastic Resort

Would you like to write a review on the Park Hyatt St. Kitts Christophe Harbour?

No, thank you.
Yes
ray1022, Travlur and faboi0us like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala
A 50 minute massage was included for us in the premium suite, we took it.It was very good.. BUT also very pricy. I honestly cannot really judge on the pricing, since we do not have experience, but our massage was charged to the room and subtracted again, and cost 450 USD for both.
You mentioned that the massages were included in the premium suite, is that for everyone who books that or for a special rate? I don't see that on their website and might switch from using my suite upgrade certificate to using points perhaps for the premium suite.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:16 pm
formerly a193991

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by britinva79
You mentioned that the massages were included in the premium suite, is that for everyone who books that or for a special rate? I don't see that on their website and might switch from using my suite upgrade certificate to using points perhaps for the premium suite.
It was included with the premium suites. I knew about it, as I asked for the options when checking in, so I must have either seen it on the website, or in my confirmation e-mail. I have searched all my e-mails, but cannot find anything
Also on the webpage, I cannot find it. Wonder if this has disappeared in the mean time? Maybe contact the hotel directly and ask.

Sorry...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:11 pm

No worries, thanks for checking. I'll check with them directly!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by britinva79
No worries, thanks for checking. I'll check with them directly!
It certainly appears like that no longer exists. I believe it only applied to the Park Executive Suite.
It makes sense that they removed it. With a Prive benefit last year we paid ~$1800 for 4 nights in P.E Suite after 4th night free rate. Got a $700 room credit and $400+ worth between our two massages.
Agreed with above that I would not pay those extreme rates for the Spa.

Also noted that some of the additional benefits listed under Penthouse and Villa (chef, security, butler) now are at additional charge instead of included.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier
My wife and I are going to St. Kitts this weekend. Going for 5 days/4 nights and I used a Globalist upgrade cert. In speaking with the hotel, they have me in a Beachside suite. From past experiences, what are the chances of getting an upgrade at check in to one of the suites with the plunge pool? I know it probably depends on how busy the resort is but are globalists getting these types of upgrades? Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Readog
My wife and I are going to St. Kitts this weekend. Going for 5 days/4 nights and I used a Globalist upgrade cert. In speaking with the hotel, they have me in a Beachside suite. From past experiences, what are the chances of getting an upgrade at check in to one of the suites with the plunge pool? I know it probably depends on how busy the resort is but are globalists getting these types of upgrades? Thanks
Tough call. Plenty of people have noted some great upgrades as Globalists in the past, but never any guarantees.
What kind of booking, cash or points or both?
If paying cash and have some points to burn -assuming you're paying rates currently advertised ~$600/nt and haven't locked in something lower- you could inquire with WOH about using points to upgrade to a premium suite as opposed to using upgrade cert. As I understand it (and you'd have to verify), premium suite is Park Exec, which has a large plunge pool. 9K points per night though.
Additionally, certainly inquire tactfully (don't ask me, I have no tact ;-) ) about a comp upgrade. Or if you REALLY want one, you could offer $250/nt to secure Nevis Peak (difference currently showing between beachside and Nevis Peak)
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by joecool1885
Tough call. Plenty of people have noted some great upgrades as Globalists in the past, but never any guarantees.
What kind of booking, cash or points or both?
If paying cash and have some points to burn -assuming you're paying rates currently advertised ~$600/nt and haven't locked in something lower- you could inquire with WOH about using points to upgrade to a premium suite as opposed to using upgrade cert. As I understand it (and you'd have to verify), premium suite is Park Exec, which has a large plunge pool. 9K points per night though.
Additionally, certainly inquire tactfully (don't ask me, I have no tact ;-) ) about a comp upgrade. Or if you REALLY want one, you could offer $250/nt to secure Nevis Peak (difference currently showing between beachside and Nevis Peak)
Entire stay is booked on points. I figure it would be a luck of the draw thing.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
Premium Suite with two young children

I'll be checking in with my wife and 2 kids (4 and 6) in a couple of weeks, staying in the Penthouse Suite for 5 nights. Does anyone have feedback about staying in the premium suites (or any suites for that matter) with two young ones? They technically are for maximum occupancy of 3, but I've confirmed with the hotel and our travel agent that 2 young children is no problem. I'm curious how the setup works, whether they can do 2 roll aways or one roll away and make up the sofa?

Any experience here would be appreciated!
Old May 5, 2019, 6:54 pm

We are actually headed there in June with a 4 and a 6 year old and I was just coming to this thread to see if there were any suites we could upgrade to that would be suitable for young kids (or 4 people). I'm surprised at the lack of sofa beds/ 4 person occupancy rooms.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by AALoyalNYC
I'll be checking in with my wife and 2 kids (4 and 6) in a couple of weeks, staying in the Penthouse Suite for 5 nights. Does anyone have feedback about staying in the premium suites (or any suites for that matter) with two young ones? They technically are for maximum occupancy of 3, but I've confirmed with the hotel and our travel agent that 2 young children is no problem. I'm curious how the setup works, whether they can do 2 roll aways or one roll away and make up the sofa?

Any experience here would be appreciated!
how did you book the penthouse suite?
Old May 7, 2019, 7:08 am
formerly a193991

Originally Posted by bknets88

if available, bookable through the website...picked any random date.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by bknets88

How did I book it, meaning because I have 4 people? Or meaning, did I upgrade VS book it straight up? If the former, then the answer is to just add one child to the reservation, but confirm with the hotel after the fact that you will have two children. Both over the phone, and via e-mail they confirmed that is no problem.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Going for my third time this year! I love this hotel! I just wish it wasnt cat 7. Its crazy expensive compared to cash rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.