Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:34 pm

Quick review from a stop a week ago:

Positives:
-Hard product in the rooms is fantastic. Rooms are beautifully decorated and laid out. The bathroom is fantastic. Almost all details are right (USB hookups next to bed, shower controls on opposite side from showerhead, etc.). A couple minor complains below.
-The entrance/lobby is really world class.
-Spa is beautiful and essentially empty at all times. Not a bad place for a quick shower, to be honest.
-Great view of Nevis island
-Secluded location yet incredibly easy to get to. We were coming from Nevis, and hopped in a water taxi for $20 a person. 7 minutes later, and we are on Reggae Beach, a five minute walk from the PH. There is essentially nothing on this end of St Kitts aside from a couple beach bars and one other restaurant.
- Service was in general quite friendly. A bit of the reticence you often get with men in the Caribbean, among the grounds staff and the like. But no complaints.

Minor problems:
- A few details were missing. Where is the hook for a towel? Why is it not possible to lock the deck door from the outside? Relatedly, many of the rooms, even right near the beach and the pool, require you to walk in a dingy staircase then down what is essentially a service road, to get to the pool. If you could lock the deck door, it is a 10 second walk to these places.
- Some service hiccups that really seem inexcusable for a five-star resort. Late checkout added, and confirmed. Literally after confirming a second time when stopping by the lobby after lunch, we returned to our room to find ourselves locked out. A desk agent had checked on the late check-out no more than two minutes earlier. How?? We also had an odd and fairly strong sewer-smell coming from the commode the entire time we were there. I mentioned this while on-site and they mentioned someone would come by, but I'm not sure they did. I mentioned it again in a contact to the PHSK social media folks, and got a "thanks for mentioning it" reply. I wasn't really expecting anything, but it's not a minor complaint: surely a hotel at this price level should follow up by phone or some other more personal means of communication?
- Little sense of place. The "sugar mill" is new construction. No references to the popular public beach that existed where the hotel is now. No reference to Kittian history.
- Honestly, it's a bit big for a five star. Impersonally so - I'm not sure anyone really knew who we are even by the time we left.

Bigger problems:
- It's a beach resort with a terrible beach. There are incredibly dangerous rocks right off shore for most of the length of the beach (ironically, this is only really true of the PH segment: it wasn't true further down on the more "public" reggae beach). Very hard to see and the kind of cube-like rocks where you can very easily turn an ankle. Seaweed along much of the shore was not regularly cleaned. The sand isn't really soft. Because you are in the Narrows and not totally on the leeward side of the island, the current is quite a bit stronger than many other places (we'd been in Bequia a few days before, and even with the strong wind the Caribbean has had the last couple weeks, it was much much much smoother water).
- Worse, the pool is almost unusable. Neither the pools nor the spa pools are heated. If I had to guess, the water is 20 degrees or so. It was substantially cooler than the ocean, which isn't exactly balmy given that you are essentially on the windward side of the island, as far as the ocean current is concerned. Watching people walk in to the pool reminded me of summertime swims in Maine. There are no hot tubs or jacuzzis.
-The hotel, even with occupancy higher now, just feels dead. The tourist bar down the beach, off site, is jamming all day long. There really weren't activities of note, at all, while we at the Park Hyatt. There was no "bar scene" or even "pool bar scene". It would be very easy to not say a single word to another guest the entire time you visited, for better or worse. There is no tennis. There is no golf. I don't even think there is a billiards table.
-Pricing is just ludicrous. I am a rum fan. They have rum tastings at the bar. A guest mentioned to us, "hey, man, they have $71 dollar rums there. Can you imagine?" Well, that intrigued me. Maybe some Rum Nation? Diplomatico one-offs? No. They wanted $71 for a shot of Zacapa XO Centenario. I picked up a 750ml bottle at the duty free in Belize City for $80 on my last trip there. Utterly absurd. Very mediocre desserts at $20++. Small starters the same. French fries at $15++. Entrees at $35-$45, much more if you want a fancy cut of steak, lobster, etc. We ended up taking our last couple meals at the Spice Mill, a couple minutes walk down the beach from the Park Hyatt: service, quality, and price all far superior to any of the PHSK restaurants. Stone Barn, the "fancy" restaurant, was the best, but even still, my girlfriend commented that it felt like the fancy restaurant in a boring but rich suburb. This is accurate, both in terms of design and menu. Lunch at the hotel restaurants is priced the same as lunch at Jade Mountain, where the food, view, and service are all far superior. Beyond food: airport transfers are utterly insane: for $25, a taxi will pick you up at the PH and bring you right to the airport. The Park Hyatt wanted 4x the price.

Overall: beautiful hard product, but the value simply isn't there, and I'm not sure how they will fix the problem that the beach is subpar and the activities on site are too dull to be worthwhile. Last three Carib vacations have been Caye Caulker in Belize, Soufriere in St Lucia, and Bequia. The food and beach were superior in all three (far superior in some cases), and the price was much, much less. I struggle to see how a 5-star beach resort can do well when it has no interesting history, no good beach, and service/food that is not world class.
beachfan, FlugE, lotrbfme and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Brutal, but super helpful review @kevincure, thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kevincure
Quick review from a stop a week ago:

Positives:
-Hard product in the rooms is fantastic. Rooms are beautifully decorated and laid out. The bathroom is fantastic. Almost all details are right (USB hookups next to bed, shower controls on opposite side from showerhead, etc.). A couple minor complains below.
-The entrance/lobby is really world class.
-Spa is beautiful and essentially empty at all times. Not a bad place for a quick shower, to be honest.
-Great view of Nevis island
-Secluded location yet incredibly easy to get to. We were coming from Nevis, and hopped in a water taxi for $20 a person. 7 minutes later, and we are on Reggae Beach, a five minute walk from the PH. There is essentially nothing on this end of St Kitts aside from a couple beach bars and one other restaurant.
- Service was in general quite friendly. A bit of the reticence you often get with men in the Caribbean, among the grounds staff and the like. But no complaints.

Minor problems:
- A few details were missing. Where is the hook for a towel? Why is it not possible to lock the deck door from the outside? Relatedly, many of the rooms, even right near the beach and the pool, require you to walk in a dingy staircase then down what is essentially a service road, to get to the pool. If you could lock the deck door, it is a 10 second walk to these places.
- Some service hiccups that really seem inexcusable for a five-star resort. Late checkout added, and confirmed. Literally after confirming a second time when stopping by the lobby after lunch, we returned to our room to find ourselves locked out. A desk agent had checked on the late check-out no more than two minutes earlier. How?? We also had an odd and fairly strong sewer-smell coming from the commode the entire time we were there. I mentioned this while on-site and they mentioned someone would come by, but I'm not sure they did. I mentioned it again in a contact to the PHSK social media folks, and got a "thanks for mentioning it" reply. I wasn't really expecting anything, but it's not a minor complaint: surely a hotel at this price level should follow up by phone or some other more personal means of communication?
- Little sense of place. The "sugar mill" is new construction. No references to the popular public beach that existed where the hotel is now. No reference to Kittian history.
- Honestly, it's a bit big for a five star. Impersonally so - I'm not sure anyone really knew who we are even by the time we left.

Bigger problems:
- It's a beach resort with a terrible beach. There are incredibly dangerous rocks right off shore for most of the length of the beach (ironically, this is only really true of the PH segment: it wasn't true further down on the more "public" reggae beach). Very hard to see and the kind of cube-like rocks where you can very easily turn an ankle. Seaweed along much of the shore was not regularly cleaned. The sand isn't really soft. Because you are in the Narrows and not totally on the leeward side of the island, the current is quite a bit stronger than many other places (we'd been in Bequia a few days before, and even with the strong wind the Caribbean has had the last couple weeks, it was much much much smoother water).
- Worse, the pool is almost unusable. Neither the pools nor the spa pools are heated. If I had to guess, the water is 20 degrees or so. It was substantially cooler than the ocean, which isn't exactly balmy given that you are essentially on the windward side of the island, as far as the ocean current is concerned. Watching people walk in to the pool reminded me of summertime swims in Maine. There are no hot tubs or jacuzzis.
-The hotel, even with occupancy higher now, just feels dead. The tourist bar down the beach, off site, is jamming all day long. There really weren't activities of note, at all, while we at the Park Hyatt. There was no "bar scene" or even "pool bar scene". It would be very easy to not say a single word to another guest the entire time you visited, for better or worse. There is no tennis. There is no golf. I don't even think there is a billiards table.
-Pricing is just ludicrous. I am a rum fan. They have rum tastings at the bar. A guest mentioned to us, "hey, man, they have $71 dollar rums there. Can you imagine?" Well, that intrigued me. Maybe some Rum Nation? Diplomatico one-offs? No. They wanted $71 for a shot of Zacapa XO Centenario. I picked up a 750ml bottle at the duty free in Belize City for $80 on my last trip there. Utterly absurd. Very mediocre desserts at $20++. Small starters the same. French fries at $15++. Entrees at $35-$45, much more if you want a fancy cut of steak, lobster, etc. We ended up taking our last couple meals at the Spice Mill, a couple minutes walk down the beach from the Park Hyatt: service, quality, and price all far superior to any of the PHSK restaurants. Stone Barn, the "fancy" restaurant, was the best, but even still, my girlfriend commented that it felt like the fancy restaurant in a boring but rich suburb. This is accurate, both in terms of design and menu. Lunch at the hotel restaurants is priced the same as lunch at Jade Mountain, where the food, view, and service are all far superior. Beyond food: airport transfers are utterly insane: for $25, a taxi will pick you up at the PH and bring you right to the airport. The Park Hyatt wanted 4x the price.

Overall: beautiful hard product, but the value simply isn't there, and I'm not sure how they will fix the problem that the beach is subpar and the activities on site are too dull to be worthwhile. Last three Carib vacations have been Caye Caulker in Belize, Soufriere in St Lucia, and Bequia. The food and beach were superior in all three (far superior in some cases), and the price was much, much less. I struggle to see how a 5-star beach resort can do well when it has no interesting history, no good beach, and service/food that is not world class.
You are 100% on point!!

I agree with all you said. When I told the GM that the pools are unusable because they are cold he said they dont have plans to add heaters to the main pools. Only maybe in the future to the Suite pools. He said that nobody complains about it...............

I complaint, I heard 3 more people complaining, NOBODY was in the pool. In FT everybody is complaining about it.......... The good thing is that he reads this forum because he told me. So keep the recommendations coming.

I just finish a stay at Andaz Maui and oh boy it is so similar to the PH St Kitts. PH St. Kitts has the opportunity to be better than Andaz maui because it is newer and closer to some folks and the beach is warmer and nicer IMHO. But the high food prices, transfer prices, spa is ultra expensive also, no heated pools, bad service, no activities, nothing to do.

I really hope they fix the soft product.

I am coming back to this property at the end of the year and hopefully I can report back saying that is better.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Regarding the temperature of the pools I have a stay at the beginning of May. Do any locals or frequent guests to this part of the carribean have a view on if the seasonal incremental warmth compared to now will make the pools more tolerable or pleasant?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by beofotch
Regarding the temperature of the pools I have a stay at the beginning of May. Do any locals or frequent guests to this part of the carribean have a view on if the seasonal incremental warmth compared to now will make the pools more tolerable or pleasant?
It is definitely hotter on May and the pools should get warmer as well. I live in South Florida and my pool is not heated and it becomes useless on the winter months but on summer it is warm like if it had a heater on.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:27 pm

So glad they comped me a stay at the st Regis.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:16 pm

For those who are thinking of returning to this property...why?? There are tons of other options, but why spend the $$/pts on a trip you will regret again? I think the smart money will say give it time until reviews are much better to return. Otherwise, there are so many other places that are much better than PH St Kitts...
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
I just returned from a four night stay here on points. Some of the reviews here are very harsh and focus a lot on cost... I find this a bit funny if you didn't actually pay cash even though points are still a currency. It's important to remember that everything is relative.

There isn't a better option on St. Kitt's. The property is beautiful. Every room has a sea view...no garden or parking lot views as seen at other similar resorts such as Andaz Maui. As a Globalist, getting an upgrade to a suite is great value. We wouldn't have actually gone to St. Kitt's unless the PH was there. (Marriott, no thanks).

Spa treatments were excellent with training from therapists from Miraval in Arizona. I had a massage as well as a facial and manicure and all were top notch. Prices were typical for spas of this calibre.
The food is expensive but food is always expensive on resort as opposed to going to other restaurants off property. We did both and enjoyed the food at all venues. We had all breakfast items covered under the Globalist benefit. The food quality is actually very good for a Caribbean resort and will continue to improve under the ever enthusiastic Executive Chef.
The staff were very friendly and professional. Is it Aman type service ? No, but it is moving in the right direction.

Carribean resorts are never perfect in my experience but this one is definitely a good option. It certainly isn't "a piece of crap" as glowingly described above. Hard product is my number one consideration when I go somewhere and this resort is definitely a gem which will continue to improve. As well, if you want to go to St.Kitt's/Nevis and want contemporary surroundings, this is the best option.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Amex MR, AA, HH, Chase Saphire
I agree with XRAY. we stayed for 3 days and while there are some improvements to be made, we really enjoyed ourselves. A PH should be compared to a PH and yet people are trying to compare it to other category hotels and such. Someone mentioned no bar scene but with the exception of the PH Tokyo, I dont recall any of the PH's we've stayed at to have thriving bar scenes. Someone told me that they would not feel comfortable walking to the Reggae Bar from the hotel but we walked it several times, including at night and although dark, which makes for some great star gazing, we didnt feel unsafe at all. We enjoyed the exclusivity of the pools and having our own corner to ourselves and the bar hosts checked on us. One morning there were no towels so we had to ask but we figured those things will get better as the staff matures a bit. We didnt bring enough cash and there is no ATM on that part of the island so we had to make the taxi cab stop at a bank on the way back to the airport so Id def recommend a cash machine but we loved the property, we loved being able to walk the beach and not have 1000 people on it, We had a really nice ocean side lunch one day and breakfast was included with our status, which was really nice.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:08 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by xray
if you want to go to St.Kitt's/Nevis and want contemporary surroundings, this is the best option.
You are probably right. For people who want to go to St.Kitts, PH is the best choice despite some issues. However, the problem is that some customers (me included) do not necessarily choose to go to St.Kitts first and foremost, and then try to find the best hotel in their desired destination. I choose my destination in part because of which hotel I am going to, so in this case I will simply avoid St.Kitts and go to other destinations and hope that PH St.Kitts can fix their issues and at that point I will consider a trip over there.

I can pay 25k pts at PH Maldives or 30k pts at PH St.Kitts... I realize they are in different parts of the world, but if neither of them are easier or more difficult to get to based on where you are coming from, then if a property asks for 30k pts then it better be close to perfect otherwise I will look for another destination.

But that said, indeed if I wanted to go to St.Kitts I would pick PH despite the minor warts.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:11 am

I had originally booked a Sea View Suite here in Jan at 48,000 pts per night but cancelled due to poor reviews. Just rebooked in May for 4 nights at 300 per night WITH a $300 per person resort credit. Used the Prestige card as well so I'm paying $900+ taxes/fees but getting a $900 resort credit for 2 adults and 1 child. This property may be bookable with the Chase anniversary night soon the way rates are dropping.

Last edited by bubbabp; Mar 22, 2018 at 11:57 am
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Sorry to hear this. I was really looking forward to this property opening for while. Now it and St Kitts is totally off my list. Thanks for all the honest TR's. Really sad maybe one day they will work out all the kinks out.

I am now looking at Cap Juluca for our next winter get a way. We stayed there before and loved it. Drop dead gorgeous beach with super soft sand. They will be finished with a massive renovation in Nov under its new Belmond ownership.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
If you're looking to check out this property, now is the time. Rates over the summer are as low as $255/nt when staying four nights and factoring in the fourth night free. That rate also includes $300 resort credit per person. Kind of unbelievable. Even more amazing with Citi prestige 4th night free added on top.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:26 am

Can anyone who has been there recently comment on the pool temperatures? Have they gotten more comfortable as spring and summer temperatures have risen?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:03 am

Bump for any recent experiences. Will be there in less than 2 weeks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.