Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by oc2005
Yeah, I found the same thing as well. I booked about a week next December where it was available for $323/night Member Rate, but if we had booked a week later, would have been $550/night, Xmas week would have been well over $1K/night, and early January was $850/night. So you pay quite a bit more for peak periods. And it was only a little more ($380/night) for the rate eligible for the 6,000 points/night suite upgrade, since my TSUs expire before then.

By the way, has anyone stayed at both the Park Hyatt and the Four Seasons Nevis? Considering staying at both back-to-back, so was curious how far from the Park Hyatt the 4S speed boat picks up, and how the two properties compare?
I found a $290 night rate wow... I cant believe I was charged so much... pair it with the citi prestige 4th night free and comes to $217.

They have a shuttle boat from PH that takes you to Nevis and the trip is about 5minutes. Nevis is very small so I am pretty sure it would be a small taxi drive to the Four seasons. There are not many activities to do in PH so I would definately split my stay. A friend of mine told me that the FS restaurant is world class.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
I found a $290 night rate wow... I cant believe I was charged so much... pair it with the citi prestige 4th night free and comes to $217.

They have a shuttle boat from PH that takes you to Nevis and the trip is about 5minutes. Nevis is very small so I am pretty sure it would be a small taxi drive to the Four seasons. There are not many activities to do in PH so I would definately split my stay. A friend of mine told me that the FS restaurant is world class.
Thanks for the Nevis tips -- we're definitely leaning toward splitting up our stay between the two based on all the reviews. It is pretty crazy how much the rates vary for the PH!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Oh wow $320 is more in line. I paid about $900 per night ..... totally not worth it. And I dont consider this high season. Our AA flight was empty. Only about 15 passengers on a A319. Hotel was between 10-20% occupancy.
I think mid-December through mid-April is traditionally considered (and is priced as) high season for most of the Caribbean due to combination of holidays, snow birds, and lower hurricane risks, but strange the rates were that high if the hotel was that empty!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by oc2005
Yeah, I found the same thing as well. I booked about a week next December where it was available for $323/night Member Rate, but if we had booked a week later, would have been $550/night, Xmas week would have been well over $1K/night, and early January was $850/night. So you pay quite a bit more for peak periods. And it was only a little more ($380/night) for the rate eligible for the 6,000 points/night suite upgrade, since my TSUs expire before then.

By the way, has anyone stayed at both the Park Hyatt and the Four Seasons Nevis? Considering staying at both back-to-back, so was curious how far from the Park Hyatt the 4S speed boat picks up, and how the two properties compare?
I've stayed at both now and if you can do a few nights at both places I would suggest splitting your stay if you've never been. The resorts are sort of the opposite right now. Park Hyatt (Awesome rooms, pools and views, but disorganized service and limited activities) vs. Four Seasons (Old rooms and pool, much more organized service and activities, golf course). You go to the Park Hyatt for the hard product and put up with the poor soft product. You go to the Four Seasons for the soft product and put up with the poor hard product. I've heard the 4S has done some room renovations, but when I was there a few years ago the rooms were in bad shape and it was super $$ back then. I think we paid $800+/night and I remember being very disappointed in the room but enjoying everything else. We did not transfer between the islands this time, but we saw several people doing this so it must be pretty easy and we were told the boat ride was very quick.

If you like to get out and explore and usually have the hotel set up activities, outside dinners, etc. you will like the 4S better. If you like to stay mostly at the resort, enjoy more modern hotels, put a premium on ocean views, etc. you will likely prefer the Park Hyatt. We have young kids now, so typically don't venture out as much as we used to, so the Park Hyatt was perfect for us, but we did miss the quality service and better organization of the Four Seasons.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I've stayed at both now and if you can do a few nights at both places I would suggest splitting your stay if you've never been. The resorts are sort of the opposite right now. Park Hyatt (Awesome rooms, pools and views, but disorganized service and limited activities) vs. Four Seasons (Old rooms and pool, much more organized service and activities, golf course). You go to the Park Hyatt for the hard product and put up with the poor soft product. You go to the Four Seasons for the soft product and put up with the poor hard product. I've heard the 4S has done some room renovations, but when I was there a few years ago the rooms were in bad shape and it was super $$ back then. I think we paid $800+/night and I remember being very disappointed in the room but enjoying everything else. We did not transfer between the islands this time, but we saw several people doing this so it must be pretty easy and we were told the boat ride was very quick.

If you like to get out and explore and usually have the hotel set up activities, outside dinners, etc. you will like the 4S better. If you like to stay mostly at the resort, enjoy more modern hotels, put a premium on ocean views, etc. you will likely prefer the Park Hyatt. We have young kids now, so typically don't venture out as much as we used to, so the Park Hyatt was perfect for us, but we did miss the quality service and better organization of the Four Seasons.
Thanks for the comparison! I think we're going to split our stay between the two like you suggested, but stay the majority of the time at the PH since we generally prefer new/modern/ocean view over old but better service. It looks like prices are fairly similar at both (4S starts at $475 per night that same time of year or $550 ocean view, but has a 4th night free offer). Also FYI for anyone else considering splitting your stay, if you book through a Four Seasons Preferred Partner travel agent, you get free full breakfast for two daily, $100 SPA/Golf credit, one category room upgrade, and free internet.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
We went to Nevis and St. Kitts for our honeymoon almost 10 years ago and stayed on both St. Kitts and Nevis. We really loved Nevis and I would really recommend staying there as the boat ride is very easy. I believe that we took a private boat back to St. Kitts from Nevis that only took about 10 minutes and lands/leaves St. Kitts very close to where the PH is now.

While we are looking to go back to the islands and would certainly give the PH a try, we absolutely loved our stay at Nisbet Plantation on Nevis. The food was fantastic and it was a really nice place for adults to simply get away from it all. It doesn't have all the amenities of the Four Seasons, but we went for lunch one day at the Four Seasons and we were very glad that we stayed at the Nisbet. The Four Seasons, while nice, didn't have anything particularly unique about it. Of course, to each their own, but if I was heading to these islands I would certainly split my time between the two and would certainly look into the Nisbet on Nevis (the reviews still seem to be outstanding).
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Amex MR, AA, HH, Chase Saphire
deleting

Last edited by Mike21NJ; Jan 31, 2018 at 1:44 pm Reason: Posted to the wrong place
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Has anyone using a TSU been successful in getting anything better than the Sea View Suite? I think the Nevis suite has a jacuzzi
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Westin
Has anyone using a TSU been successful in getting anything better than the Sea View Suite? I think the Nevis suite has a jacuzzi
you will have to pay the difference which is about $200 a night. The hotel is very robotic and won't give more than they have to without you paying the difference.

But it's not a Jacuzzi. It is a plunge pool which is not heated and basically useless so I wouldn't waste my money. Apparently they are working on heating all pools but they are starting with the SPA first. The main pools will be last.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Just arrived tonight, a beautiful property... as far as design goes it is right up there with the best PHs in Hyatt’s portfolio.

Last edited by Westin; Feb 3, 2018 at 9:12 pm
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Just wanted to give an update to my bad review. The service was bad everyday except the last day (unfortunately). I was really upset that I paid so much for a mediocre-bad service. However, the last day one of the non local employees was very very very kind and professional and I told him that he was the exception on the hotel, and that everybody else was mediocre at best and we felt like unwelcome guest at the property (which we did). She took notice and immediately took action. She spoke to the GM and he gave us a visit, he was very kind an apologetic. He explained the situation and that it was his fault and they are working on the service but it is really hard because it is very difficult to train the employees and almost impossible to find some in this tiny island that used to be a rice field. He more than compensated us for the problems and he assured us that the management was aware of the problems and they will fix them for our next trip. Also I was very happy to see my friend Pankaj from Hadahaa as the Chef of St. Kitts.

After the talk with the GM and the way he handled everything I would give this hotel another opportunity and I am planning to return with some friends in 6 months or more to give the property some time. Also I am going to be looking at those $300 per night deals which make a lot more sense.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:43 pm

I spent a week at the Hyatt in January with my adult daughters. Beautiful , secluded property with gorgeous rooms ( except for the cheap Ikea chairs at the table). Food was excellent but very expensive The pool was beautiful but a bit chilly. We were very disappointed to find that there are no hot tubs :-( We usually stay at the Marriott which has several. Occupancy was quite low. Before we arrived a friend who is a GM at a Hyatt in the US emailed the property asking that we be upgraded if possible but that didn't happen. The grounds crew have started weeding the gardens which are overrun with some of the largest weeds I have ever seen. The service was good with Island time in mind. All in all I would go back on points or at $300 or so a night.

Last edited by Schutzee; Feb 24, 2018 at 3:14 pm
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:37 am

I just got back last night from several nights at the hotel. Overall I enjoyed it.
Issues we noticed:
Pool needs to be heated. (Especially Adult one)
More hooks for towels in bathroom
I hated the sink faucet how it was so close to side of above sink bowls. Don't like always hitting my hands on sink when I wash them.
The room fridges are packed with over priced drinks and no room for the complimentary water they give you let alone anything else you may have.
Fridge had beers in there but no bottle opener. I ever asked for a opener from bar and they didn't have available one for room. So how do people drink those beers? Silly.
I think some of the walk ways could have been done better to have easier access from rooms to pool/beach areas.
I also think the railings on the balconies should have been glass vs a high metal one that blocked much of the view when sitting down.
The food is EXPENSIVE. Like stupid expensive. Even the drinks by the pool are expensive. A $15 cocktail ends up being $20 after tip/tax/service charge.
They really should add a mid level dining option that serves all three meals. We avoided breakfast because most options would have put us at roughly $100 for breakfast.
A $7 carib ends up $10. Caribs at almost every other bar is $2-$4. ($1.50 at grocery store)
I thought it was weird how the restaurants would charge $10 a bottle of water when they gave you complimentary bottled water in your room (unlimited) for free.
I think the restaurants should reduce prices on their starters/desserts at a minimum. The sides and entrees aren't that off base but $20+ for a small soup is too much.
I was upset I got late checkout and my room key was deactivated an before we were told it would be. And at that point we were in a rush to get showered before flight.
Place is secluded and only has access to Reggae Beach Bar and Spice Mill otherwise you will need car or taxi and Taxis are expensive.

Liked/Tips:
Loved access to SPA. Felt we were only ones really using the sauna and plunge pool the whole trip. Though many times they had the rooms turned off.
SPA has nice tea and fruit.
I had no issues with service. Service was near perfect by pool and restaurants and bars.
Everyone on property was very friendly.
Manish at Great House bar was great and made some great beverages.
StoneBarn was best meal.
Track down Banton for Taxi service. He was super friendly and much cheaper than some other Taxi providers. (Elvis was quoting MUCH MORE)

Overall I would go back but in no rush. We did go to ShipWreck bar and learned that it is closing next week and a Ritz Carlton is being built on that side of the island.
Given how the Hyatt only had 50 guests that we ever saw during our stay I think the added options are going to hurt the Hyatt. They should reduce their room rates and prices to compete.
No way I would justify $800 a night + the extra costs of eating at resort which you are almost forced to do. (Due to secluded nature of it)
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Diamond
Hard product hit... everything else miss

To echo the FlyerTalk consensus, this property has a ton of potential. The location is perfect, and allows for convenient daytrips to Nevis. If you never leave the property during your trip, you have made a huge mistake.

But this starts the key problem for the property. They do not exhibit the magic of St Kitts and Nevis, nor do they encourage immersing yourself in its splendor. For all the faults of the Four Seasons (to which everyone compares the PH), they embrace and exude what these islands are supposed to offer.

Hyatt imported staff from other key properties (PH Sydney... bravo), but they did not train the local hires to the expectations where they deserve to be critiqued as they have been in recent blogs. Long and short, Marriott St Kitts did not allow customer interactions until 3-6 weeks after training, and that does not appear to be the case for this property. At all.

Poolside service was quite lacking. If you sit on the beach, don’t expect acknowledgement. I disagree with most people on the pool temperature issue. While it could be warmer, it was perfectly enjoyable. From a simple branding perspective, this property has decided to offer soft soap in all restroom establishments instead of Le Labo. That is cheap and shortsighted.

Breakfast service was warm, but always felt as though they were not prepared for the guest numbers. Furthermore, they never wanted to provide the a la carte menu. We were actually dissuaded from ordering this way due to anticipated delivery times. This matches the theme of the resort to over advertising and under delivering.

From an F&B perspective, Stone Barn is a shining star. Phenominal food, but not too memorable of a setting. Fisherman’s Village always appears to be overwhelmed, but if you do go, request the private overwater pavilion. The Great House and Pool Bar are not worth your time.

The Park Hyatt is part of Christophe Harbor. Salt Plage and the Pavilion are unbelievable. Neither were encouraged by the Concierge, nor made easily accessible. The Ritz Carlton will soon be a neighbor/competitor, so it might be worthwhile to offer a limited shuttle service. Even for a fee . Andaz Papagayo/Maui/Mayakoba all embrace the local establishments and help them add to the experience. If the PH intends to exceed 52% occupancy in peak weekends, I suggest they take a deep look at their island neighbors, and rethink their isolation strategy. As of now, it is a failing one....
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG
Originally Posted by e53nyc
To echo the FlyerTalk consensus, this property has a ton of potential. The location is perfect, and allows for convenient daytrips to Nevis. If you never leave the property during your trip, you have made a huge mistake.

But this starts the key problem for the property. They do not exhibit the magic of St Kitts and Nevis, nor do they encourage immersing yourself in its splendor. For all the faults of the Four Seasons (to which everyone compares the PH), they embrace and exude what these islands are supposed to offer.

Hyatt imported staff from other key properties (PH Sydney... bravo), but they did not train the local hires to the expectations where they deserve to be critiqued as they have been in recent blogs. Long and short, Marriott St Kitts did not allow customer interactions until 3-6 weeks after training, and that does not appear to be the case for this property. At all.

Poolside service was quite lacking. If you sit on the beach, don’t expect acknowledgement. I disagree with most people on the pool temperature issue. While it could be warmer, it was perfectly enjoyable. From a simple branding perspective, this property has decided to offer soft soap in all restroom establishments instead of Le Labo. That is cheap and shortsighted.

Breakfast service was warm, but always felt as though they were not prepared for the guest numbers. Furthermore, they never wanted to provide the a la carte menu. We were actually dissuaded from ordering this way due to anticipated delivery times. This matches the theme of the resort to over advertising and under delivering.

From an F&B perspective, Stone Barn is a shining star. Phenominal food, but not too memorable of a setting. Fisherman’s Village always appears to be overwhelmed, but if you do go, request the private overwater pavilion. The Great House and Pool Bar are not worth your time.

The Park Hyatt is part of Christophe Harbor. Salt Plage and the Pavilion are unbelievable. Neither were encouraged by the Concierge, nor made easily accessible. The Ritz Carlton will soon be a neighbor/competitor, so it might be worthwhile to offer a limited shuttle service. Even for a fee . Andaz Papagayo/Maui/Mayakoba all embrace the local establishments and help them add to the experience. If the PH intends to exceed 52% occupancy in peak weekends, I suggest they take a deep look at their island neighbors, and rethink their isolation strategy. As of now, it is a failing one....
I'm curious how much influence a property GM has? Does the GM make most of the decisions or are their hands tied by the actual property owner? As mentioned above, who would have made the decision to not use Le Labo soap, for example. Reason I ask, is that the current GM at the property has a decent resume; he was former GM of the Marriott St Kitts and more recently a VP at Hyatt Corporate. These type of people tend to understand that spending the extra dollar goes a long way in client retention and over all brand appearance. I understand the learning curve with new local staff, but wondering if the overall experience is bound to get better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.