Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:10 pm

Just came back from 3 nights (first time here). Globalist, and got a suite upgrade - supposed to be beach view but was a pool view. Not complaining - it was kinda nice to literally walk from my patio right onto the adult pool area. Maybe wouldn't have liked it pre-covid where there wouldn't be any privacy leaving the curtains open or just sitting on the patio, but it worked during COVID. Great House service (for breakfast at least) is slowwwwww but food is good for breakfast (I would avoid it for dinner if you can - my ribeye I had there was not that great...). The seafood restaurant is excellent though, and Stone Barn was also outstanding.

As far as the grounds, I don't think they were worn out, but I guess they were just not...impressive? Maybe I'm just jaded from all the traveling I've done. Obviously not going to compare to the Maldives but... I think I enjoyed the Andaz Costa Rica more, which felt more exclusive/luxurious and also had better food (which I'd say lives more up to "Park Hyatt" status). Actually I think the problem is Park Hyatt St Kitts doesn't really feel like a "Park Hyatt" brand, so the expectations were a little too high.

It was a perfectly nice vacation, just not outstanding.
fishy21 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
Originally Posted by mcs26891
Just came back from 3 nights (first time here). Globalist, and got a suite upgrade - supposed to be beach view but was a pool view. Not complaining - it was kinda nice to literally walk from my patio right onto the adult pool area. Maybe wouldn't have liked it pre-covid where there wouldn't be any privacy leaving the curtains open or just sitting on the patio, but it worked during COVID. Great House service (for breakfast at least) is slowwwwww but food is good for breakfast (I would avoid it for dinner if you can - my ribeye I had there was not that great...). The seafood restaurant is excellent though, and Stone Barn was also outstanding.

As far as the grounds, I don't think they were worn out, but I guess they were just not...impressive? Maybe I'm just jaded from all the traveling I've done. Obviously not going to compare to the Maldives but... I think I enjoyed the Andaz Costa Rica more, which felt more exclusive/luxurious and also had better food (which I'd say lives more up to "Park Hyatt" status). Actually I think the problem is Park Hyatt St Kitts doesn't really feel like a "Park Hyatt" brand, so the expectations were a little too high.

It was a perfectly nice vacation, just not outstanding.
Was the PCR test $150/person?
Old Dec 1, 2021, 11:05 am

Has anyone successfully used a CVS PCR test to enter St. Kitts/Nevis? It's CDC-approved, but I'm having trouble confirming whether it meets the testing standards for St. Kitts. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by mayday23
Was the PCR test $150/person?
I had antigen done. $60.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:42 pm

I had antigen done. $60.
Don’t you have to take a PCR test initially to break the 24 hour quarantine?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by RustyHippo
Don’t you have to take a PCR test initially to break the 24 hour quarantine?
Yes, PCR if you want to leave the hotel. Per the hotel, if you don't want to leave, you don't need to take any test in St. Kitts other than what's required to get back to your home country.

I assume the poster just did the antigen for return to the US.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 6:37 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
I was looking to stay at an airbnb in St Nevis for few days as well. Is that not possible right now?

Also, another poster mentioned that they would have to get tested again for changing properties? Not sure, why would that be the case.

Just looking to get some clarity here from other FTers.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by dave_261
Yes, PCR if you want to leave the hotel. Per the hotel, if you don't want to leave, you don't need to take any test in St. Kitts other than what's required to get back to your home country.

I assume the poster just did the antigen for return to the US.
That's right. I didn't want to leave the resort so an antigen test was fine. Results were quick (morning after), so it should be ok with the new CDC rules. however, at least when I was there they were not doing antigen testing on the weekend, so if you are leaving Saturday or Sunday you need to do the bimax route.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: AA MM
That's right. I didn't want to leave the resort so an antigen test was fine. Results were quick (morning after), so it should be ok with the new CDC rules. however, at least when I was there they were not doing antigen testing on the weekend, so if you are leaving Saturday or Sunday you need to do the bimax route.
Thanks so much - this is incredibly helpful. One question: what kind of covid test did you get for entry to St. Kitts? Specifically, did you get a nasopharyngeal swab (i.e. the long swab that goes far back into the nose), or a regular nasal swab (short swab)? I'm trying to figure out if the test I have scheduled will satisfy the entry requirements.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: LX SEN & WoH Globalist

[size=13px]St Kitts lift travel restrictions for vaccinated travelers - fully vaccinated travelers don’t need a PCR test upon arrival anymore but still one within 72h of arrival.[/size]

Does anyone has experience of an ISO 17025/CLIA accredited laboratory at Miami Beach?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 4:32 am

Just back from 5 days at the Park Hyatt and wanted to summarize some things to provide recent information about the resort and travel. My headline would be: This resort can’t tell if it wants to be a Four Seasons or a Holiday Inn Resort. One takeaway I got from a discussion with the manager was they are, not surprisingly, short staffed (they have recently hired some new people but the training hasn’t kicked in.)

Ok… on with the details.

About our trip: We took advantage of the healthcare rate, which is outstanding… almost unbelievably so @ $189/night. Consider the going rate during our stay was over $800 for the entry-level room, and this was a steal. Then, the globalist benefits piled on: used upgrade cert to move to oceanview suite… waived $50 resort fees… free breakfast.

The Resort: It’s lovely. Is it a standout in the Caribbean? Not really. But it’s perfectly nice, well manicured, and a pleasure to be at.

Service: I’ll say it was a solid C. In general the staff is friendly and here to help, but given the new and short-staffed situation. things are totally unpolished. Meal service is pretty haphazard (on one meal, a server came to try to clear all of our table, including utensils, and we hadn’t even gotten our main courses). On another occasion, I called guest services to ask if I could take a lounge chair to my deck (since the deck furniture in the room has 1 small cushioned bed and a couple hardback chairs). I had to call twice one day, and both times they say ‘oh yes, we will get one to you’. It took a 3rd call the following day for one to arrive.

Pricing: I will not editorialize on whether things here are expensive, cheap, or in between. Just keep in mind that everything adds on 12% tax, 12%-18% service charge, and then, a gratuity. For those curious, I asked at the front desk about the service charge, and they were very clear that this is spread around to the resort staff, so (for example) at a bar or restaurant, if you don’t leave a gratuity, they get very little. As a pricing example, the basic drink price at a bar is $18, so after adding the extras, your beefeater & tonic is 28 bucks.

Arrival: We arrived at the resort around 3:30pm. And, even as a globalist… our room was not ready. Huh? On a Tuesday? That said, after a quick check-in process, they asked if we’d be ok waiting at the pool bar for drinks and snacks. We were there for about 45 minutes (2 drinks each + a pizza) before the came to take us to the room. It worked out fine and was a good trade off ($120 at the bar for a 45-minute wait).

Room: As mentioned we upgraded in advance to an oceanview suite. We did inquire about paying to move to a pool suite but were told none were available (despite the fact that I could have booked one, which implied availability). We were in building 9, which is directly on top of the adult pool, about as far from the beach as you can get. Some pros/cons… it would have been nice to be closer to the beach, but it was pretty private and quiet back here, with almost no traffic walking by. And with a few evening events in the restaurants and common areas, we were spared from most of that noise at night.

The Beach/Pools: The physical space is great. Large beach area, nice open main pool with pool bar, and an adult-only pool. However, this is an area where the resort does not rise to standards of being a luxury beachfront resort. The lounge chairs, with only a few exceptions, are crap. More like what you’d find at a Holiday Inn resort (think cheap wicker or fabric with no cushions). There is almost no service to the lounges (drinks, water, etc). The towels are only located at the main pool bar, so if you want to be at the adult pool, you still need to walk to the main pool to get a towel. The beach itself should be more of a centerpiece with palapas and nice lounges, but instead it’s just a few cheap dollar store umbrellas with the cheap lounge chairs. And unlike some other resorts, the staff don’t set up anything for you.

Globalist Breakfast: Since there’s no buffet right now due to covid, globalists can basically order whatever they want. The restaurant now has a ‘kitchen-to-table buffet’, which is a large selection of items brought to you: pastries, meats, cheeses, granola, yogurts, etc. And then, you can order a hot entrée and sides. Depending on what we got, our breakfasts were in the $140-$175 range, and all of it was covered EXCEPT gratuity. (I know there are other posts/forums which say gratuity should also be covered based on Hyatt’s terms). On the downside, the service just wasn’t great. This was one area where they clearly were short-staffed.

Dining: There are 3 restaurants and 3 bars. While we were there, the main restaurant (Great House) was open for B/L/D all days, and the other two restaurants traded off when they were open (mostly just for dinner). I will say that with the size of the breakfast, it’s hard to imagine most people eating 3 meals a day here. We got off to a slow start each day and got to breakfast around 10:30, and didn’t leave until close to noon. Food quality ranged from A+ to one F (the lobster roll at Fisherman’s Village).

A few more tips:
  1. Every day at breakfast we were offered a to go box, and even grabbed a few extra pastries. Given the amount of food, this more than provided for an afternoon snack in lieu of lunch
  2. For those who plan to spend time on your deck and may want some alcohol on hand (or just don’t want to pay the Park Hyatt prices) definitely get some at duty free on the way down. Or, you can do a quick delivery order from Rams2Go. Delivery fee is cheap and the bell desk will bring your package to your room.
  3. Restaurant delivery: if you don’t feel like going to the on-property restaurants and don’t want to leave, 869togo has a great selection of dining options which are reasonable and delivered quickly.
One more thing to pass along… There’s been a lot of discussion here and on other forums about the COVID testing requirements. Despite St. Kitts specifying you must take a nasopharyngeal test, this does not seem to be the case. We used a clinic which doesn’t offer them anymore (said they are not needed) and on the test results the method says ‘nasal swab’, and had no issues. Someone we met at the resort had used the CVS drive-through test with no issues either. Of course, YMMV…

For the flight home, we brought the proper BinaxNow test and once we had our accounts set up, it was really convenient.

Happy to answer any other questions.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 1:27 pm

Hoping someone here can help me - I'm new to the points game and I'm looking at booking the Park Hyatt St. Kitts for an Easter Break trip with my wife and two kids (4 & 7). I've read this whole thread and it seems like this property would make sense for us (complimentary kids club, beach + kid friendly pools etc). Ideally, we're travelling in early April for 5 nights, and we're doing so in the most economical way.

However, I'm entirely new to figuring out the best use of my points. I've got 450K in Amex points and 85K in Chase Ultimate Rewards points. I know neither are a staggering amount, and I've been doing my research on the best way to use them, but I've hit a wall in my understanding as a newbie to all this.

Is there an expert/patient good Samaritan out there who can help me? In particular, we'd like to figure out the best way to use our points to make this work - hoping for a room that allows us some space from the kids. Is that possible?

I've been reading about all the different things I can do: Book through Prive, book using points, 5th night free etc, but unclear what my best options are. We're not big enough travelers to have status (Globalist or anything else) aside from Delta which I'm sure doesnt matter here.

And am I right in assuming that this is a good property for families (ie. Kids not bored, but also not on top of us all week)? I saw there is a "kids club" listed, but I haven't seen any impartial discussion of it (outside of parent blogs that were probably compensated).

Any help is welcome - I know from reading that the information is all out there, I"m just having trouble making sense of it all!

Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by dave_261
The Beach/Pools: [...] There is almost no service to the lounges (drinks, water, etc). The towels are only located at the main pool bar, so if you want to be at the adult pool, you still need to walk to the main pool to get a towel. The beach itself should be more of a centerpiece with palapas and nice lounges, but instead it’s just a few cheap dollar store umbrellas with the cheap lounge chairs. And unlike some other resorts, the staff don’t set up anything for you.
Thanks for the detailed review - definitely a great deal on the health care rate, but this point right here about beach/pool service is utterly ridiculous at the cash rates (and even the points rates) that they're charging. Even a paid chair/umbrella setup (a la the Confidante, which also has full service F&B at the beach) is better than a no-service approach, particularly at a place where lounging at the beach all day is more or less the point.

Originally Posted by Sr007h
Hoping someone here can help me - I'm new to the points game and I'm looking at booking the Park Hyatt St. Kitts for an Easter Break trip with my wife and two kids (4 & 7). I've read this whole thread and it seems like this property would make sense for us (complimentary kids club, beach + kid friendly pools etc). Ideally, we're travelling in early April for 5 nights, and we're doing so in the most economical way.

However, I'm entirely new to figuring out the best use of my points. I've got 450K in Amex points and 85K in Chase Ultimate Rewards points. I know neither are a staggering amount, and I've been doing my research on the best way to use them, but I've hit a wall in my understanding as a newbie to all this.

Is there an expert/patient good Samaritan out there who can help me? In particular, we'd like to figure out the best way to use our points to make this work - hoping for a room that allows us some space from the kids. Is that possible?

I've been reading about all the different things I can do: Book through Prive, book using points, 5th night free etc, but unclear what my best options are. We're not big enough travelers to have status (Globalist or anything else) aside from Delta which I'm sure doesnt matter here.

And am I right in assuming that this is a good property for families (ie. Kids not bored, but also not on top of us all week)? I saw there is a "kids club" listed, but I haven't seen any impartial discussion of it (outside of parent blogs that were probably compensated).

Any help is welcome - I know from reading that the information is all out there, I"m just having trouble making sense of it all!

Thanks
Sr007h, just FYI, it's against FT rules to 'cross-post' (i.e., to post the same or essentially the same post in multiple threads). We just answered the bulk of this for you in the Andaz Mayakoba thread. The same wisdom about Hyatt points and about redeeming Amex points for airfare (either by transferring to an airline or by purchasing directly with points at amextravel.com) that you received there (not all of it uniform, but all reasonable advice) applies here. Your questions about this property specifically are fine, but you might want to edit out the rest to avoid having your post removed for cross-posting.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I spent six nights at the Park Hyatt St. Kitts and overall it is a solid property. Here is a recap of my experience. I wish there was a way to grant a half star as I am going with four but feel 3.5 is most accurate.

The Grounds

The overall design and grounds at the hotel are beautiful. The property is nicely landscaped and the pools are very nice. We rented cabanas for three days and they were well equipped with outlets, a refrigerator (which was broken and needed to be swapped), and a comfortable daybed plus chairs. The lush foliage leads to a beach that is comfortable with chairs scattered around it and attendants ready to assist. This is not a postcard beach and the hotel is more of a pool resort than known for its beach. Be prepared for brackish water and lots of seaweed on the beach. There is a small group of walkable restaurants and chair rental places nearby if you want to leave the resort but few restaurants and no shops are within walking distance (4.5/5).

The Rooms/Suites

We booked a Beachside King room and were upgraded to an Oceanview Suite using Suite Upgrades as a Globalist member. The suite was perfect for a six-night stay with plenty of space, amenities, and a great rain shower. Everything was in good repair and the mattress was comfortable yet firm. Request extra pillows as they are thin and need support. We each used three each night. One other nit-picky thing is that the hotel uses single-ply toilet paper. Ultimate first world problem but I noted it and I'm sure others will as well. We had a great balcony overlooking the ocean with perfect views of nearby Nevis (5/5).

Housekeeping

Housekeeping was on point. They came each day and thoroughly cleaned the room, replenished toiletries (Labo, which are nice), and made sure it was tidy. Turndown service is offered each night. Overall, housekeeping gets a perfect score (5/5).

Front Desk/Concierge

I had emailed several times with the concierge before we arrived starting about two weeks prior to checking in. I had booked dinner reservations and cabanas during our stay. I had email confirmations and figured that they were set. I was wrong. The cabanas were booked but when we arrived to dinner the first night they had no record of that reservation or the next night or New Year's Eve. They quickly made them but this was after I had also reconfirmed them that morning with the concierge. From the moment you arrive the staff is smiling and genuinely warm. You get the sense that they care and want to do well but they fail time and again. Simple requests need to be repeated and reconfirmed. They tell you right away but then forget or move on to something else. I'm not sure if this is because the property is understaffed or if it's a cultural element but I felt that I needed to babysit every request (3/5).

Food & Beverage

If you live in a major city like New York, LA, San Francisco, or Chicago, you won't be shocked by the prices. However, you also need to account for the 30% (service fee and tax) that is added to each item. This also does not include gratuity for the server, which was pointed out to me on day one.

There are two main restaurants and one specialty. We did not try The Stone Barn (the specialty restaurant) so I cannot comment but based on the execution at the Great House (I believe they share a kitchen and are at least next door to each other), I was not confident that I would enjoy the meal or find value in what was offered.

The Great House is the main restaurant. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served here. It largely misses the mark as food is overhyped, banal, and becomes repetitive very quickly. Globalists get free breakfast and there is outsize value in that. Covid killed the buffet, so everything is a la carte. If you do not have Globalist status then be prepared to see breakfast checks between $150 and $190 daily for two. I imagine it would sting less if you were dining on lobster but basic scrambled eggs will set you back $25. The fresh squeezed orange juice was the highlight but three days it was not available.

They try. I really believe that they do try to do well here but they cannot get out of their own way. I'm again not sure if this is due to a staff shortage or they are just not properly trained. You will find yourself constantly looking for cutlery, a napkin, a bread plate, butter, a menu, and any other item that should be provided to guests without having to ask. The servers are not trained to deliver five-star service. If I order an iced latte then it should have ice and the straw should not be rolling around in a puddle on a tray where I am expected to retrieve it.

Fisherman's Village is the other restaurant. Chef T does an excellent job here. While you'll hit some service snafus like the Great House, the food shines. We loved the Grilled Steak Skewers, Paella, Lobster Bisque, Blackened Grouper and more. The food here rivals what you will find in NYC and we thoroughly enjoyed these meals even if that meant long waits and servers who forgot items each time.

Room service and the food by the pool are also notable. The pizzas are well made and something that you will look forward to while you sit poolside. We tried several and the dough has a great chew. I believe they have a brick oven or a way to mimic one. Burgers via room service were also a nice treat and delivered cooked to order and hot the few times we chose them.

If you are looking to offset your costs and get a variety of snacks, wine, alcohol, and other food delivered, try Rams2Go. We used it several times and found them timely. Items were also up to 75% less than the prices at the Park Hyatt.

Overall, Fisherman's can't outweigh the service and Great House (2.5/5).

COVID-19 Protocols

The resort makes a big deal of taking temperatures at each meal and asking guests to sanitize their hands, which is great. The same cannot be said of mask usage. Guests come and go indoors without masks; guests wait for tables indoors without masks. The staff does an excellent job of keeping their masks on but they are afraid to ask guests to put their masks on indoors. After an altercation that I had, I can see why. We were waiting for a breakfast table and a family of six was standing nearby (all of them maskless). Staff noticed it but chose to not say a word. I flagged down a manager and asked him to please tell them to mask up. This was away from the group and subtle. They must have realized my request because moments later one of the men cursed at me, his mother-in-law flipped me off, and he told me that his father-in-law would kick my .... This was ridiculous. He must have realized the absurdity because moments later he came to our table to apologize.

There are signs telling guests to wear masks and many choose not to wear them. They quickly realize that there are no consequences and then continue to be maskless all of the time.

Overall, the hotel needs to do a better job here (2/5).

Service Recovery

I sent an email to the general manager bringing some of the issues above to his attention. He replied quickly and had his second in command spoke with me promptly after. Again, I felt that they genuinely did care but promises made were not promises kept. For the reservation inconveniences, he said that the cabana would be comped, it was not. Service did improve after our meeting but I felt that it was still not at the level it should be and further, I did not ask for any compensation. I wanted to relax and gladly would pay for the services desired but when something is offered then it should be delivered. I can appreciate the care here but feel like it was another missed mark (3/5).

The resort is isolated but it's great for a relaxing week. Just be prepared for the costs of food and beverage as well as lackluster service. If these two items would improve the hotel could easily jump to a true five-star experience.
macguitar, CLEguy, fishy21 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
<snip>The resort is isolated but it's great for a relaxing week. Just be prepared for the costs of food and beverage as well as lackluster service. If these two items would improve the hotel could easily jump to a true five-star experience.
EWRFlyerAL, thanks for taking the time and effort to put together such a detailed review/recap!

This is a property I'm continually on the fence about trying. Unfortunately, given your review, I remain so. Dropping the ball on things like pre-arranged pool cabana reservations seems terribly off brand for a PH.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.